Confusion about a scene in "Pirates"

it seemed pretty blatant to me, as he let the rest of the coins fall back into the chest, they had a closeup on his hand, when he palmed one of the coins.

But then, I saw the movie more than a couple times :rolleyes:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I noticed that Jack took one of the coins the first time I saw it, but only because the camera focused on it a little bit -- with the slow motion and so on. Will's expression, which sort of said, "What ARE you doing?!?" helped me notice it, too.

Still, I didn't make the connection until Jack gets run through by Barbossa -- I had no idea why Jack had bothered to palm a coin, didn't think anything of it in terms of whether or not he'd be cursed too, and promptly forgot about the entire incident until skeleton Jack twirls the gold coin around his fingers and grins at Barbossa, "Couldn't resist, mate." And then I remembered the palmed coin, and it all clicked together . . . one of the neatest twists I've seen in a film for a long time. When Barbossa stabbed Jack, I thought the film was gonna kill poor Captain Sparrow off -- and then Jack falls back into the moonlight. Awesome moment. The entire theater audience -- myself included -- just sort of gasped out, "WHOOOAAAA . . ." Awesome moment. :)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

Same here. I remembered him palming the coin, and waited to see what they'd do with it. Then I forgot he had a coin. And when he got stabbed, I thought "That's obviously pretty fatal. If he continues to fight, or passes out and wakes up in time to save some people, and then is okay, I'm gonna be pissed." Then, of course, he became a zombie pirate.

Now, I thought that they reason why they were skeletons was that they'd had the coins long enought to be decayed, so when I saw Jack all skellington, I first thought "Not Fair!" but then I realized that it's Gore Verbinski's movie, and if he wants to make everybody be a skeleton when they get cursed, well, they can be a skeleton. They didn't say anything that expressively contradicted immediate skeletonization, but still, at the time, I was cheesed. But I've come to terms with it.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Look under 'BootStrap Bill' thread under "Pirate Pop.'

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Aye, he cut his hand and smeared some o' his blood on the coin becuase Will needed all the coins and blood from each one affected with the curse to remove it. "Blood repayed"... remember that line? Tha's it. :)

Jus' a suggestion, but next time, things about pirate movies and such go under "Pirate Pop."

Captain Wolfy Wench

• 2 weeks later...
Eh, to remove the curse, everyone who has ever stolen from the chest must return a medallion, (with blood) and since ol' jack stole one earlier he had to return that, as well as Willjnr returning his one, so that the curse would be gone and barbossa would be mortal again. Hope that 'elps.

aye.. thats the one! B)

Cabinlass Maggie

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.