Pirates class at University of Chicago among most popular courses for

Story

Pirates class at University of Chicago among most popular courses for spring

It covers Johnny Depp-style Caribbean pirates, plus software piracy, investment 'pirate' Bernard Madoff

By Jodi S. Cohen

Chicago Tribune

March 18, 2009

If you were looking for more proof that pirates are popular, here's some news from the University of Chicago:

More undergraduates registered for the anthropology class "Intensive Study of a Culture: Pirates" than almost any other course for the spring quarter, which begins March 30.

"As eggheady as our students are, they also are very much of their generation and in touch with mainstream culture," said assistant anthropology professor Shannon Lee Dawdy, who teaches the class.

But don't expect this will be all Johnny Depp, all the time.

Students in the class, a first-time offering, will study traditional Caribbean pirates as well as contemporary software piracy and "pirates" such as Bernard Madoff, who recently pleaded guilty to defrauding thousands of investors.

The class also will take a trip to the Field Museum's "Real Pirates" exhibit.

"It is almost too fun for the University of Chicago, so I will make sure they read a bit of theory every week," Dawdy said.

Arrrrrrgh!!!

The top three classes requested by U. of C. students are an eclectic mix. Global warming topped the list, with 377 students requesting the course. Introduction to Microeconomics, taught by popular professor Allen Sanderson, was next, followed by a hands-on drama course.

"One never knows" which classes will be popular, said Michael Jones, an associate dean at the college.

To avoid sinking students' dreams of learning about pirates, Dawdy increased the size of her class to 150 students, up from the original maximum of 90.

As of Tuesday, all but one spot had been taken.

Dances for nickels.

Is it just me or is it hard to imagine how pirates (in the real sense of the word) can be held alongside software pirates and others in an academic context.

In what way can they be considered "A Culture"?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Is it just me or is it hard to imagine how pirates (in the real sense of the word) can be held alongside software pirates and others in an academic context.

In what way can they be considered "A Culture"?

Unless the software pyrates are out there on boats?

I guess Software Pirate just sounds sexier than Software Thief, but I wonder which side started the term?

The only way I can see considering pyrates a culture is the way that gets one course credit (in other words: I join Foxe in calling BS!)

Yeah, I honestly cannot see the software pirates or Maddoff and others like him as pirates. The guys over in the south china seas and off somalia in the boats hijacking ships are more pirates than those jokers.

Well, perhaps this group will cross paths with the Archangel and get a REAL teaching in Piracy. :rolleyes:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Right then the education system in this country just scares me... history especially... they teach all the little kids the so called basics, which, nine times out of ten, are wrong...when you call them on it, they say not to worry, when they get to high school and college they will learn it correctly... HUH??? Why not teach them correctly from day one??? Softward pirates... must be sailing on the seas of cyberspace... ugh.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oh, I agree with ye, Sterling. I'm furious with how kids are taught, too.

All th' more reason for ye and th' Archangel crew t' set things straight! :rolleyes:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!