Morning Star

Poopdeck Pappy

Here's the listing I found. This site has a great listing of tall ships as well as movie appearances -- the name of the movie ship and the real one used.

1995 Cutthroat Island

REAPER

MORNING ROSE / Junk NAKALAY | 2 (1. part of the film)

MORNING ROSE (2. part of the film)

Originally she was a Indonesian coastal trader called the MORNING ROSE. The film company had her towed from Singapore. An additional deck was added, three tall masts fitted plus a bow=sprit. She was completely rigged out in the form of a 17th century pirate ship with heavy canvas sails. She was dismantled and returned to the owners after the movie.

MORNING STAR

EARL OF PEMBROKE

KASKELOT

Another 140´ ship

The Pembroke and the Kaskelot are both listed as being in the movie. Their site is at:

http://www.square-sail.com/square_rig_ships/index.html

The bowsprit of the Reaper was on display in Key West in 2003 I believe, at the museum there. I have a photo of it some place. It was indeed auctioned off later -- the person had to pick it up in LA though, so I passed on it.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Here's a photo I found of it blowing up...

cutthroat_island_ship_explosion.jpg

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

What a waste!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

The Morningstar is still alive and well. She is named the Nakalay junk, and still does tours. The company used to promote her as the ship that stared in cutthraot island, but now seems to have distanced themselves from that "honor". She actually played both parts, the reaper first then repainted and redressed as the Morningstar. The battle scenes that you see where done in a tank with two separate ships custom built for the movie. When you see the reaper explode, it was only the "set" ship, not the real ship. I kind of have a wee bit of an obsession with the ship. So much so that I built a 24 ft functioning semi-replica. I can also make similar vessels for anyone who might have a piratical itch, and need a ship of their own.

The Morningstar is still alive and well. She is named the Nakalay junk, and still does tours. The company used to promote her as the ship that stared in cutthraot island, but now seems to have distanced themselves from that "honor". She actually played both parts, the reaper first then repainted and redressed as the Morningstar. The battle scenes that you see where done in a tank with two separate ships custom built for the movie. When you see the reaper explode, it was only the "set" ship, not the real ship. I kind of have a wee bit of an obsession with the ship. So much so that I built a 24 ft functioning semi-replica. I can also make similar vessels for anyone who might have a piratical itch, and need a ship of their own.

Post some pictures of the replica you built. I'd love to see it!

Well, lets see if this works.......

Ok, can't seem to post a picture from "my pictures" here. Only thing I think I can do is is post the link to my site.

Visit My Website

Post some pictures of the replica you built. I'd love to see it!

We just moved to Vero Beach Florida back in September 08 from Boise Idaho. I have not been able to get her wet yet. I was in the process of building new, more functional masts in ID when my shop was broken into. The buggers stole my generator, all of my tools and my Hern Iron Works cannon. I had nothing to continue construction of the vessel. That was the last straw, we made up our minds and got the hell out of Dodge! During the trip down to FL, the hull developed a hairline crack along the starboard side of the hull, probably from bouncing along the I-10 in Louisiana. The freeway there is horrible! It's like mini ramps one right after the other for miles and miles. Up down slam, up down slam, up down slam, etc... So now I have to repair the crack and redo the hull paint, cut the new masts, sew the sails, register her, and then dunk her. At the rate I'm going, it won't be till sometime next year.

Did I mention they stole my cannon!!!!!! Filthy b@$t@rd$....

:huh::huh::huh:You're gonna need a bigger garage!!!!

:huh::huh::lol:

Oh and she does fit in my garage with exactly 4 and a half inches to spare! Course I had to remove the bowsprit, figurehead, and her stern lanterns.... and the tongue of the trailer.....and let the air out of the tires........ok, I had to put her in crooked too...

• 1 month later...

The best part of the movie WAS the ships.

I read on IMDB that they TRIED to copyright the "Rackham" flag (as commonly attributed) . . .

Fortunately, they failed.

It is the SAME one used for Barbossa in the PotC films.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

The best part of the movie WAS the ships.

I read on IMDB that they TRIED to copyright the "Rackham" flag (as commonly attributed) . . .

Fortunately, they failed.

It is the SAME one used for Barbossa in the PotC films.

I believe all the old pirate ensigns like Rackham, Roberts, and etc are public domain, therefore, they can not be copyrighted.

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL