Happy Saint Patrick's Day

Silent

Hope everyone has a fun and safe Saint Patrick's Day!!! Remember to drink responsibly and don't drive if you can help it! <_<

Little History on Saint Patrick, Pirates captured Patrick at the age of 16, during a raid and sold him as a slave in Ireland. During this time, Patrick dedicated himself to religion. He was a slave for 6 years, and then escaped back to his home of Britain.

Patrick's experiences in Ireland made him driven by the idea of converting the Irish to Christianity. He studied in the monastery of Lerins, on an island off the southeast coast of France. Patrick also went to Auxerre, France, and studied religion under Saint Germanus, a French bishop. His religious superiors were reluctant to let him return to Ireland as a missionary, because of his inadequate education. But Palladius, the first Irish missionary bishop, died in 431. Pope Celestine I then sent Patrick to Ireland.

No one had ever preached Christianity in northern and western Ireland,so this is where Patrick began his work. He gained the trust and friendship of several tribal leaders and soon made many converts. Patrick founded more than 300 churches and baptized more than 120,000 people. He brought in clergymen for his new churches from England and France. Patrick preached in Ireland the rest of his life. Patrick was chiefly responsible for converting the Irish people to Christianity. He became known as the Apostle to the Irish. His name in Latin is Patricius.

Patrick wrote CONFESSION in his later years, an account of his spiritual development, to justify his mission to Ireland. This, along with his other writings, are the most important sources of information about his life and work.

Many stories about Patrick are based only on legend. One of the best-known tales tells how he charmed the snakes of Ireland into the sea so they were drowned. According to another legend, Patrick used a three-leaf shamrock to illustrate the idea of the Trinity. Many people believe the shamrock came to be the traditional symbol of Ireland as a result of this legend. Today, Irish Catholics throughout the world celebrate Saint Patrick's Day on his feast day, March 17.

Edited by Silent

Hmmm, I have to do some investigating, I recall reading that Patrick was Roman. ...I'll get back to you.

Either way ...This day has become a celebration of all things irish and being Irish myself ...I thank you all for celebrating me! lol

Happy Saint Patrick's Day all!

Happy St Patty's to ye all.

Anyone going out an' about this evenin' for a drink... have one for me. I won't be celebrating this year like I usually do. <_< Bummer. Usually enjoy the parade then go to Bennigans (Irish American restuarant) or the Irish Democrat for some Irish dish, then to 3rd Street Live for Wylde Nept. Merry D would join me, we'd party the night away. But this year... not gonna do any of that. No parade, no food (Bennigans is closed) and 3rd Street Live building was hit hard by the flood as it was only a block an a half away from the river. :lol: So... just mellowing out, enoying a salad (hey! It's green!) and enjoying the weather. Yes, ye can pinch me... I'm not wearing green. What green thing I have are packed away.

But... enjoy a drink for me. And enjoy this fine Irish Day!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hmmm, I have to do some investigating, I recall reading that Patrick was Roman. ...I'll get back to you.

Either way ...This day has become a celebration of all things irish and being Irish myself ...I thank you all for celebrating me! lol

Happy Saint Patrick's Day all!

St. Patrick was a Romanised Briton. But he spent quite a bit of, ummm, unintentional time in Ireland. And then he went back to bring Christianity to the land, which may or may not have been a good thing...

And the story about him chasing the snakes out of Ireland is symbolic. The snake was the symbol of wisdom for the druids (and in many ancient societies, of healing - take a look at the caduceus, for example.) So the fable about him chasing the snakes out of Ireland is meant to mean he drove the druids out of Ireland. However, the Irish version of Catholicism is a lot like Santeria - it's a blend of the Irish old religion (disguised) and the Catholic faith that was brought to the island. Many of the "saints" are actually the old gods and spirits in disguise. And Irish Catholicism tends to focus a lot more on the saints than does the Latin-based version.

RHJMap.jpg

Cheers, and green beer for everyone! :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hehehehe... Ye can have my green beer, Syren. I don't like beer... nor stout, guinness, ale, lager, etc. Just not my thing to drink.

Rum, whiskey, scotch, gin, anything else I will drink though. :rolleyes:

::::waving a green pen::: Does this count as enough green? Nope, didn't wear any green at all. Don't have it. Oh, well.

Oy! An' don't forget to have a drink for me!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!