Powder Horn

I usually shoot paper cartridges, but sometimes PRB too.

For those times, I have a powder horn, but it can be a few weeks between shoots.

So, I'm wondering what disadvantages there may be to keeping powder in the horn?

Other than accidental ignition, the only enemy to powder is moisture. If your horn has a well fitting plug, the powder will keep pretty much forever.

>>>> Cascabel

I usually shoot paper cartridges, but sometimes PRB too.

For those times, I have a powder horn, but it can be a few weeks between shoots.

So, I'm wondering what disadvantages there may be to keeping powder in the horn?

Other than accidental ignition, the only enemy to powder is moisture. If your horn has a well fitting plug, the powder will keep pretty much forever.

>>>> Cascabel

Good to know!

Thanks Cascabel!

We used to keep powder for the cannon in a water tight, oak keg, bound with brass hoops and brass brads. 1f Goex.

You know after 2 years, there was a goodly amount of smaller grain and also some dust. We no longer use it.

I think if you use the horn only once in a while and it just hangs up on a peg most of the time , the degredation of the grain would be at a minimum. We are on the move come Apl 1 thru Nov and the keg was getting bounced around in our van quite a bit, apparently. We store all powder now in the Goex cans, in a wood lined metal box, until the day of an event , when the horns are charged.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

We used to keep powder for the cannon in a water tight, oak keg, bound with brass hoops and brass brads. 1f Goex.

You know after 2 years, there was a goodly amount of smaller grain and also some dust. We no longer use it.

I think if you use the horn only once in a while and it just hangs up on a peg most of the time , the degredation of the grain would be at a minimum. We are on the move come Apl 1 thru Nov and the keg was getting bounced around in our van quite a bit, apparently. We store all powder now in the Goex cans, in a wood lined metal box, until the day of an event , when the horns are charged.

For our purposes (blank loads), the smaller grains and dust created by powder moving around in a container are rather irrelevant. If being used for competition shooting, variations in grain sizes can create differences in velocity, leading to changes in point of impact.

>>>> Cascabel