the Emerald Isle

While on vacation in Rome , I noticed a marble column in St. Peter's with a golden telephone on it. As a young priest passed by, I asked who the telephone was for. The priest told me it was a direct line to heaven, and if I'd like to call, it would be a thousand dollars. I was amazed, but declined the offer.

Throughout Italy , I kept seeing the same golden telephone on a marble column. At each, I asked about it and the answer was always the same: It was a direct line to heaven and I could call for a thousand dollars.

Then - I finished my tour in Ireland . I decided to attend Mass at a local village church. When I walked in the door I noticed the golden telephone. Underneath it there was a sign stating: "DIRECT LINE TO HEAVEN: 25 cents." "Father," I said, "I have been all over Italy and in all the cathedrals I visited, I've seen telephones exactly like this one. But the price is always a thousand dollars. Why is it that this one is only 25 cents?"

The priest smiled and said, "Darlin', you're in Ireland now. It's a local call."

Happy St. Patrick's Day, A wee bit early !!!

ROTFLMAO!

True indeed, it IS a local call. :D

My family is in Western Ireland in Sligo and Tourmakeady, County Mayo.

(Sigh) Tis all true.... a little bit of Heavan.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I have a very good friend from Sligo. He owns the Irish Pub in my neighborhood. Happy St. Patty's!

Ahhh... have you been to the Robert Shaw Pub in Mayo?? What music!! <_<

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

[Ahhh... have you been to the Robert Shaw Pub in Mayo?? What music!! :lol:

No, never been there. I'll be going by next year, I'll have to look it up!

It will be well worth yer efforts lad. Friendly, good food and drink and the MUSIC! :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 1 month later...

*giggles*

That's great, as Hal Roach used to say, "write that one down".

My grandparents on both sides were from Ireland. My Father's family was from Cork and my Mom's family was from Mayo.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

• 2 weeks later...

That was a good one!! Gonna have to remember that!!!

RedJessi- I am jealous, I havent been home in years now...I used to go every summer with the parents until I was about 16...I should go back more often considering 3/4 of my family still lives there and I was born there B) !!!!

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.