it was so windy ......

on sunday, we had some extremely high winds in the st. louis area... monday, when i went into work, this is what was waiting for us.... this used to be a crane....

UNI_4320.jpg

notice the cab leaning over backwards...

UNI_4328.jpg

what's left of the boom...

UNI_4330.jpg

UNI_4332.jpg

one of the conveyors the boom hit

notice that the boom was blown over BACKWARDS !! luckily, very few were working that day and nobody got hurt...

Edited by silas thatcher

this is the holcim cement plant very close to st. genevive, mo. ... it is a brand new plant... river city cement, just up the river, is a current plant, but doing some major expansion...

from what i saw on the news a while ago, conrete was a cheaper alternative to asphalt when gas prices were sky high... hence, the investment in a new plant, and expansion on another...

the plant is freaking huge !!! 50 billion acres or something like that :)

Wow Silas, that cement plant is BIG!

As for the winds...we are still having 50 to 70 miles per hour here in southeast Wiscosin and northern IL area. It's gonna be hell for those flying in today and tomorrow. I hope that these winds will die down a bit. Doesn't help when there is a storm on its' tail either!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

[quote Wow Silas, that cement plant is BIG!

okay-- note the slight exageration :) IIRC, 9000 acres is what they bought... but i heard it second hand, and you know what they say about the validity of hear-say !!

but from what i've seen of the place, 9000 acres may not be too far off...

Yikes!

That's quite the setback. And some fair damage there, too. Bummer. :o

Yeah, the weather has been playin' havoc on us all lately, hasn't it? The winds have finally died down since 8 this evening. Last night they were on average around 50 mph. I'm surprised there wasn't more damage done.

Hope clean up after the crane goes swiftly and smoothly.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!