Left-handed flintlock pistols

capnwilliam

OK, mates, I'm gonna buy a flintlock, it's gonna be a big pistol, and I'm debating whether to stick with a conventional right-handed lock, or go for a left-handed. A righty would be a more correct carry style for me, since being a lefthander I'd be carryin' me cutlass in me left hand, pistol in right. But for shootin' as such, I'd prefer a left-handed lock.

Any sources, anyone knows of? :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye capnwilliam,

Hmmm.... depends on how 'authentic' ye want ta be.. (oh, there's tha' word again...)

Unless ye got really lucky wi' plunder, or ye was rich enough ta have yer own pistol made, most available were right handed...

Iffn' ye could find one o' them side-by-side double barreled pistols, ye'd be all set.... :lol:

Sources are the usual ye find online, pedersoli, etc... or, if ye can find a local BP gunsmith....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

So what are the differences between te right-handed and left-handed flintlock pistols? I am doing a pirate illustartion and the pirate has a flintlock in her left hand. (It just worked out better fot the composition that way.) Is it a difference you would easily see from say, 10-15 feet?

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

leftdragoon.jpg

7. Saxon Flintlock Dragoon Pistol, ca. 1763, with Left-Handed Lock.

These pistols were issued in pairs, (right and left hand locks). Pistol is in fine overall condition. Metal is fine; wood fine; brass excellent and unpolished. Lacks tang screw and cleaning rod. A very rare flint pistol. $2750. 

Gutterman Antiques

Nigel, a a pirate carrying the pistol in the left hand to leave the sword-arm free would still most likely be carrying a right-handed gun.

Capt. William--the double-barrelled guns are indeed very impressive, but if you're going to shoot a double-barrelled muzzleloader, make very sure that the ball in the second barrel doesn't shift foreward under the impact of recoil when the first barrell is fired.

Nigel, on the flintlocks, the lock (hammer mechanism) is on the side of the pistol; unlike a modern cartridge pistol, where it's in the center. (Most modern autoloading pistols are still right-handed, but that has more to do with the location of the safety, and the ejection port for the spent cartridge casings).

Yes, on a flintlock it would be evident from a distance: see the photo the Deacon provided.

Capt. William

Thanks for the feedback mates, and for the picture reference.

So then the hammer is on the 'outside' of the pistol? (The right side on a right-handed pistol, left side on a left-handed pistol)? Or in other words, if you had the pistol at your side, the hammer would not be rubbing against your leg....

So it would not be inaccurate to depict a pirate with a right handed pistol in her left hand? She has a sword, but in the drawing it is still in the scabbard.

It is a fantasy illustration, however I just don't want it to turn out too hoakey, y'know?

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

Yes, the hammer mechanism is the "S" shaped thing (see the photo) toward the rear that holds the flint-rock in its jaws.

A pirate might have had either-handed thing in either hand. For example: I'm left-handed. Most flintlock pistols were made right-handed, since most people were/are. While I would be a more accurate flintlock pistol marksman with the pistol in my left hand, you must remember that to a sword/cutlass fighter, the sword/cutlass would be the primary weapon: the single shot, slow-reloading pistol just a backup.

Hence, best manual of arms for me in a boarding action would be: sword on right hip. Reach over and hold scabbard with right hand. Reach over and grip sword hilt with left hand. Draw sword into left hand.

Pistol (right-handed would be best) worn in sash or belt in front o' me belly. Reach in front and grab pistol with right hand.

Sword needs more dexterity, so is "fought" with my left hand. Pistol is discharged with right as I see opportunity/need, then flipped arounf in hand and used empty, to back up the sword, as a parrying weapon, and club.

Capt. William

Wow! Thanks, Cap'n. Thanks Deacon as well. This really helps me out.

Your input really helps to build a mental picture of how the weapon was used, so that I can picture the event in my mind, and incorporate that in the illustrations.

Have a round on me! [Pun intended!]

B)

(Thanks fer allowing me to get off the topic of the thread temporarily.)