V&A Book of the Month offer

Capt. Sterling

see www.vandashop.com then click on book of the month

Baroque: Magnificence & Style (Book of the Month) (Published April 2009 - available to pre-order)

Michael Snodin & Nigel Llewellyn, eds code: 094340

Price: £37.00

AVAILABILITY

NOT YET PUBLISHED - available from April 2009

DESCRIPTION

Please note: This book is available to pre-order and is due in April 2009.

The complexity and sophistication of Baroque art, developed through the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, could be understood as an attempt to move, arrest and overwhelm the viewer with beauty. Taking examples from all media and genres, this book is a comprehensive exploration of this emotionally powerful and geographically pervasive style, tracing its development from Rome, centre of Papal and princely power. Carefully selected and rarely seen objects from public and private collections illustrate traditions of ornament, performance and visual art, while stunning spreads examine how churches and palaces became showcases for the pomp and splendour of Baroque art.

Michael Snodin is Senior Research Fellow in the Research Department at the V&A. His V&A publications include Design and the Decorative Arts: Britain 1500-1900 (with John Styles, V&A 2001) and Exploring Architecture (with Eleanor Gawne, V&A 2004). Nigel Llewellyn is Head of Research at Tate. His publications include Funeral Monuments in Post-Reformation England (2000 and his current research focuses on art and identity in eighteenth-century Italy.

Normal Price: £40.00

You Save: £3.00

% Saved: 7.50%

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:::whimpers:::

I'm drooling over the outfits as the V&A already.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!