Tinder boxes

MadL

Ok, I have been watching The Buccaneers again...fer want o' something t' do...and I noticed in episode 2 one o' them pulls out a tinder box, opens the lid, pulls out a piece I assume t' be flint, then, with the lid blocking the camera's view, he strikes the flint 'Inside' the box, presumably against an iron core? then *poof* a flame lights from within the tinderbox, he then pulls out a small stick that he proceeds to light from the flame like a match that he then uses to light the candle and blows out both the 'match stick' and the flame in the tinderbox.

Now, seeing as how this is a Hollywood movie, do you think they faked the lighting of the flame inside the tinderbox as if lighting a 17th century Zippo lighter, or, how is the tinder and the iron core set up in the box so he can light it so smoothly? or perhaps they cheated and had the tinder soaked in Zippo lighter fluid?

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Probably the latter, MadL. I've never used a tinder box but have used regular flint and steel. I know it takes more than on or two strikes to get a char cloth to light. Interesting idea though, wetting the cloth in a flamable.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Takes but a spark on char cloth for it to take off.

Remember whichever technique you use, striking the flint against the steel or vice versa, to have the cloth on the side the sparks will be, i.e.: if you are hitting the striker with the flint the sparks go down - cloth below, if hitting the flint with the striker then cloth on top.

Good video here.

Remember whichever technique you use, striking the flint against the steel or vice versa, to have the cloth on the side the sparks will be, i.e.: if you are hitting the striker with the flint the sparks go down - cloth below, if hitting the flint with the striker then cloth on top.

Ahhh, I had naught heard that bit o' wisdom before! I will have t' try it out.

Th' other night I saw another episode where they used a tinder box again, Cappy this time I think, they had a better shot of it this time, it looked as if he had flint in hand to strike with as it was square shaped and looked rather thick, however the flame did naught appear t' start it just Lite Right Up, as if with fuel. I have practiced with char cloth and it starts rather slow, downright delicate at first, where this flame acted like striking a large butane lighter, then he threw it down in th' haul and it all held together, and with a strong flame did not even wink - I think they bamboozed us!! ;) *bloody Hollywood pirates!*

however the flame did naught appear t' start it just Lite Right Up, as if with fuel. I have practiced with char cloth and it starts rather slow, downright delicate at first, where this flame acted like striking a large butane lighter, then he threw it down in th' haul and it all held together, and with a strong flame did not even wink - I think they bamboozed us!! ;) *bloody Hollywood pirates!*

You are correct about char cloth. It catches the spark and makes an ember. I can't recall ever having my char cloth actually flame, it's purpose is to ignite the next tinder: bark, tow, etc.

Perhaps they used nitrated cloth instead of char cloth?

What color was the cloth catching the spark?

Edited by Quartermaster James

• 2 weeks later...
What color was the cloth catching the spark?

That was th' whole trouble, could not see what was in th' box. The first time they showed it, it was quite convincing, made me think there was something t' th' whole tinderbox setup I was missing out on...but th' second time they showed it, well, that was just too unreal, especially when he [/i]threw[/i] th' box and the flame did not scatter or even dim....NOT real flame at all (well, perhaps real if powered by a gas fuel)

As for Tow, th' bag I have is linen, catches pretty well, but not well enough t' work as a lighter.

I don't believe many of these are GAOP... 18 century, aye.... some 17th C...

http://www.ingenious.org.uk/see/Societyand...wby=images&

Have a look at the 'alarm clocks'.... :lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org