Me flinklock is leakin'

mcdrago

Ahoy mates!

I be havin' a foine flintlock pistol [repro o'course, not havin' enough coin fer a real piece], but after carryin' the bloody thing all day tucked in me belt, I find a dark brown stain on me shirt. Now normally I could care less, be me lady insists on washing me shirts. Since it seems to be the pistol that is causin' this stain. How do I keep it from doing that. I don't want to dismantle it and painting with shellac something is not allowed in me cabin. Ideas anyone???

Hey the stain is cool fer that lived in look... leave it

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

hold fast before you put anything on it. its going to weep to some degree. what does not weep may be heat and sweat from you causing the weapon to leech. first of all whats causing it to weep? is it the stock or the barrel? what sort of finish is the stock? if its au natural it may just weep from the woods natural oil. don't bake it as it may crack but warm it up and bring the oil to the surface then wipe it down with acetone. continue as needed- remember acetone is flamable so slowly warm it on something like a heating pad or with a hair dryer. if its the barrel remove the barrel and lock plate and give them a spin in the dish washer by themselves or put them in a pot of boiling water for a while. the idea is to separate the oil from the metal let it dry and do it again if needed. expect it to rust. give it a good scrubbing with a baking soda paste and let it set for a day then wash it off and see how it does. if no weeping then lightly oil and put er back together.

A note of caution with the dish washer... obviously not all dish washers work alike... I tried this and turned a beautiful lock into a pile of rust... I will never do it again.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

ahhh good catch sterling. i forgot about your experience. we found out the hard way the barrel and lock must be entirely blued to run through the washer. so to be safe just don't do it. a couple of HOT soapy baths and drying cycles will work as well.

After I did my blunderbuss, I used the same technique I use with building/staining my arrow shafts. I wiped it down with de-natured alcohol until the stock quit bleedin on the rag. Wipe it, wait awhile, wipe it, wait, etc. When it looked dry and dull and the rag came off clean, then I oiled it. Anyhow, worked for me.

Bo

Ahoy mates!

I be havin' a foine flintlock pistol [repro o'course, not havin' enough coin fer a real piece], but after carryin' the bloody thing all day tucked in me belt, I find a dark brown stain on me shirt. Now normally I could care less, be me lady insists on washing me shirts. Since it seems to be the pistol that is causin' this stain. How do I keep it from doing that. I don't want to dismantle it and painting with shellac something is not allowed in me cabin. Ideas anyone???

last tyme me"pistol" left a "dark stain" on me shirt....had to go to the Doctors for a shot..... :unsure:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Watco Danish Oil Finish might be a good solution. Alternatively, you might try a wipe on polyurethane finish.

As mentioned before, strip the excess stain with either denatured (best, but more expensive) or 90+% isopropyl (good enough and cheaper) alcohol first.

Can you take all the metal parts off the stock?

Ahoy mates!

last tyme me"pistol" left a "dark stain" on me shirt....had to go to the Doctors for a shot..... :unsure:

Beat me t' the joke