Sword Carriages

michaelsbagley

[

Most particularly with my bandolier of cartouches (also commonly called apostles), I've only worn them a few times but the weight of the more powder bottles on the front tends to make them hang unevenly... I know having actual lead shot in the pouch would likely make a bit of a difference, but I truly wonder how much, and if there is other methods.

I seem to recall the French having robbons on the shoulder their baldrics were worn over, but I can't an image clear enough to note whether the ribbons are a part of the suppost balancing system of the baldric or not.

Anyone have some practical experience or know of some period sources to shed more light on this situation?

I've worn the bandolier for nigh on 20 years. Never had the problem with it sliding where it shouldn't be. More often it's the opposite, can't drag it round easily when I need to get to the bottles on the back. (Apostles is not a period term, it seems to come in in the 19th century.) Now, my bandolier is belt leather, 6oz, and not finished on the back. That, combined with a wool soldier's coat or doublet and it seems to act almost like velcro.

The reference I've seen for the shoulder knot is actually a holdover from the matchlock days, where the corporals and serjeants carried extra match for their squads. The knot is a representation of that extra match.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

When it comes to sword carriage, I've always preferred the baldric to the waist belt. I can shift the sword from at my side for quick draw to across my butt where it's out of the way. Also, with some of the heavier swords and cutlasses, which I prefer, the belt always seems to be dragging down on the left side. I have seen some doublets that had metal hooks sewn in to support the belt, but they are not a universal thing.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
There is an early 18th century French sword belt that I can always seem to find images of online when I am not looking that I think would be well worth posting, and some others as well.

I made a copy of that french belt a few months back.

frenchbelt1.jpg

french_belt.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

The drawing is aparently an illustration taken from Memoires d'artillerie by Pierre Surirey de Saint-Remy which was published in 1697.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...