1st Edition of General History of Pirates

Brit.Privateer

I am looking to find a library that holds a first edition copy of Captain Johnson's "General History of Pirates." I need to see the text to a first edition for some research I am doing. While there are many copies of the second edition around, I am either looking to find a good print of the 1st edition or find an original held by a library here in the United States that I can go view. As it has been described before, there are large differences between the first and other editions, and I want to seet he first edition. Anyone got any thoughts?

I am looking to find a library that holds a first edition copy of Captain Johnson's "General History of Pirates." I need to see the text to a first edition for some research I am doing. While there are many copies of the second edition around, I am either looking to find a good print of the 1st edition or find an original held by a library here in the United States that I can go view. As it has been described before, there are large differences between the first and other editions, and I want to seet he first edition. Anyone got any thoughts?

Heck, you ain't asking for much are you? my library only has a third edition, which includes the biography on Kidd that was in the 1726 edition, but when was the last time the first edition was printed? It seems you are looking for one very old book.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

IIRC one of the University libraries in one of the Carolinas has a first edition which is (was) available online. It's just possible I'm imagining things though.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yeah, that sounds familiar. What I definitely recall was that you could either view it as scanned page images or as a complete text file. I'm not 100% convinced it's a first edition, but it's definitely an early one as it doesn't contain some of the chapters that were later added.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I remember a fancy digital version of The Buccaneers of America, I think, which was not in English, but I haven't seen one of a General History of Pirates. I'm not saying there isn't one, but if the digital versions remembered are of a different book, I don't want anyone to run around looking for something that might not be there.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

My bad, it's a second edition, not first, but for the sake of general interest, here's the link:

http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/item.aspx?id=joh

Scanning through my collection though I find that I have a PDF version of the first edition which I can email you.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

It would be cool to print those images out and use them to roll cartridges...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

It would be cool to print those images out and use them to roll cartridges...

Ha! My cartridge box contains half a dozen inert "demonstration" cartridges, rolled out of 18thC newspaper reprints :rolleyes:

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Thanks for all the help guys. At least now I know where my options are.

Before I posted this thread, I tried contacting the museum that the Queen Anne's Revenge project is associated with, but never got a reply. Also, when I did a search on Worldcat for a first edition of the General History, for some reason I couldn't find anything I could get a hold of. But now I think I got a hold of the situation. Thanks again

• 3 years later...