Help with Travel Plans

Coastie04

I was just wondering, for you folk who know England better than me (ie anyone who's been there or knows a bit about it), what interesting 'must see' nautical sites are there in England? I'm planning a trip out there in March, and have pegged some of the obvious ones, such as the National Maritime Museum, the HMS Victory, Tower of London, and the Cutty Sark. I'm only going to be there a week, and am probably going to stick around London and Portsmouth for most of the time, with the slim possibility of headin' out to Southern Scotland to see a friend. As I've never been there I don't really know much of what to see. Are there any major things I'm missing relating to pyracy/maritime history that are in the London and Portsmouth area?

Thanks,

Coastie :D

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I'm planning a trip out there in March, and have pegged some of the obvious ones, such as the National Maritime Museum, the HMS Victory, Tower of London, and the Cutty Sark. Thanks,

Coastie :ph34r:

Can't help ya much there, mate (so wot th' 'eck is 'e postin' fer?)

But it do remind me of a story-

Years ago, I traveled to the UK with friends. We stayed at a nice little B&B on Loch Long for two nights. The proprietor and his wife wer a wonderful couple; he wore his kilt most of the time, and told wonderful stories - a real good Scotsman. When we checke din, I was wearing a half t-shirt (cutoff about halfway down)

So he gave me the nickname Cutty Sark. The second night, he sat us down and regaled us with the tale of Cutty Sark, and how the ship got its name, from the original tale of the witches, the fastest of whom was named Cutty Sark.

Delightful man, a delightful story, and a wonderful trip.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

1 Talk to Hawkins native of the U.K. and Travel agent ( connections mate connections)

2 As I understand it there be some replicas (full size) of the golden Hind and then of course you wouldn't wanna miss H.M.S. Warrior

3 Get lots of pictures and post em I ain't never been no closer to England than the history channel.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, picture will be posted, though I might need help when that time comes. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em comin', I've still got a month and a half to change the schedule.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

How 'bout the former site of Execution Dock, the spot where Capt. William Kidd and numerous others were hung for 'Murther and Pyracy'. I understand there's a pub adjacent to the spot now.

Arrrr!

Broadside

:ph34r:

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

How long ya goin' for? That's the question.

London- don't forget the Tower and I'd go out to the Museum of London at the Barbican. Depending on how long you spend in Greenwich, you could stop at the Artillery Museum on the way. Cannons from the begining up to now. Get yourself a travel card for the Tube. Depending on where you're staying, it'll take you a couple of changes to get out to the NMM.

While your visiting HMS Victory, don't forget HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose. They're all in the same place. In Portsmouth, don't forget Fort Nelson. That's where the Royal Armouries historic cannon collection is.

If you have time, go up to Leeds, in Yorkshire and see the Royal Armouries museum. 5 floors of weapons, working weapons shops, and jousting, swordplay, and falconry displays.

Just doing that lot should take you a week. Forget restaraunts, eat in the pubs. Better food, and cheaper. If you can, go to the traditional pubs and the CAMRA pubs. (Campaign for Real Ale) sort of like microbrews but aged in the wood and much better. Don't drive in London, unless you are suicidal, or have driven in England before. And if you do drive, DON'T SPEED. they now have an ugly little habit of installing automatic speed cameras that just send you the ticket. True, it will go to the car rental company, but most of them will pass it on to you. It's becoming quite a war, with the cameras being blown up. burned, spray painted and all.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, ask.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Of course Greenwich is extremely good from a nautical point of view... but I would also recommend visiting the 'Golden Hinde' which is moored near London Bridge (handily right next to a pub!! :wub: )

Golden Hinde

And jus down the olde cobbled street from there is an olde Gaol (jail)- so you can see how prisoners used to be dealt with in good olde Englande... harr harr harr!

Oh, this link might also be useful if ye be wantin to explore other seafarin places in England

Sea stuff

Have a good trip! :wub:

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

William Blake (Proverbs of Hell , (1790))