Leather leads...

MadL

Anyone have any good leads t' offer for those o' us seeking good Leather, raw hide, I be speaking 'Vegetable Tanned Leather" mates?

I know some o' th' populars such as: Eleather, Standing Bear's Trading Post, Springfield Leather (got some scraps there once), Tandy Leather Factory.

But most have very limited selection of Vegetable Tanned leather and most carry mostly full sides what can get rather expensive if ye only be wanting t' make a pouch or dagger sheath.

Currently what I be seeking is a scrap (for at this time I can NOT afford a full side) of Vegetable Tanned 7oz no less then 28 inches by 6 inch.

I seek ONLY Vegetable tanned for I intend t' boil it (part of a hardening treatment) and shape it and maybe even a little tooling - Oil of other tan will NOT work! Preferably un-dyed as well (th' color may run and make a mess)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

DKG Leather in Grande Terrace. George is the owner and a great guy. Go in and tell him The Sage Lion sent ya, Mad L. You should be able to pick up what you need there and get any tips you require as well.

He should be able to cut something down for you. Go in and ask.

Regards,

Anyone have any good leads t' offer for those o' us seeking good Leather, raw hide, I be speaking 'Vegetable Tanned Leather" mates?

I know some o' th' populars such as: Eleather, Standing Bear's Trading Post, Springfield Leather (got some scraps there once), Tandy Leather Factory.

But most have very limited selection of Vegetable Tanned leather and most carry mostly full sides what can get rather expensive if ye only be wanting t' make a pouch or dagger sheath.

Currently what I be seeking is a scrap (for at this time I can NOT afford a full side) of Vegetable Tanned 7oz no less then 28 inches by 6 inch.

I seek ONLY Vegetable tanned for I intend t' boil it (part of a hardening treatment) and shape it and maybe even a little tooling - Oil of other tan will NOT work! Preferably un-dyed as well (th' color may run and make a mess)

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I didn't get an e-bot that ye replied Capt'n Sage?!! :unsure:

I had seen their site before, meant t' drive by long ago then lost th' link. I just checked the map and they are naught too far away from me....but sadly I know have naught job so will have t' wait t' save up some pennies before disturbing them with me triff :huh: for I had given up on seek'n th' leather and spent me last coin on some sail twine 'n a can o' Stockholm tar (fell too short even fer th' feathers so I have been eye'n th' neighbor's canary...)

Book Mark'd this time!! I will pay he'm a visit once I have a few coin saved up!

The local tandy leather shop is two miles away and the manager loves pirates. when ever she get a good piece in and knows i'm working on something she will often call and see if i'm interested. she also lets me rummage the piles of hides. I don't get a break on cost, but i do get first dibs. If anyone is ever headed this way or knows where i'll be- provided you pay- i'll rummage for you and drag it along.

Wielen Dank Capt'n Sage!!

I will start t' work on it this next week! It may take me a month t' finish it as I need t' get some color 'n a hunk o' wax (had a large brick from me wee bro's Ren days as a costume maker but me da toss'd it naught know'n what it was).

Now here is a question: I want t' make it tan color, not dark brown, but I know some leather dyes 'bleed' even after dried - me Barbbosa Leather baldric bled real bad until I coated it with wax, but it made a mess outta me shirt a few times. Now I hear they have leather dye now that does not bleed - What is it called, what dye should I look for?

Here's the deal. You can seal the leather after you dye it. Make sure that the dye is completely dry. Use Feibings Saddle tan. That is a good color. Or even buckskin. I think they have that.

Let them dry. Seal your leather, front and back and you should be fine. You can buy paraffin from Michaels. I am not sure about bee's wax. I will keep an eye out.

Give it a shot. Don't try to go too quick. You should have no problem.

And remember, you so owe me.

Regards,

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com