History Channel & Pirates

Animal

I was looking through the History Channel's site, looking for anything on Buccaneers. I came across 4 DVD that they offer on pyracy. I was wondering if anyone saw the series and what they thought of it. Are the DVD's worth the price? They saw in their descriptions that they try to despel the image that Hollyweird has bestowed on us. Just wondering.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I found the archeology on the Whydah to be more helpful than any other pirate documentary out there.

Entertaining they were.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I watched the History Channel DVD on pirate ships. I found it rather informative, but I think most of the people around here would have found it very 'obvious' I guess. As a newbie, I liked it... I don't know how much I'd pay for it (I watched if free through instant netflix) It depends on how often you would watch it... I've watched that pirate special twice already, and then another pirate special three times... the other option is *hehe* pirating it off the internet... lol

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

**Waves hand - old jedi mind trick**

Trust Blackjohn...seriously.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've seen True Caribbean Pirates and I believe it was called The Great Ships; The Pirate Ships found them entertaining and informative. Being somewhat a fan of Roberts, I noticed a couple of mistakes related to him in True Caribbean Pirates, but otherwise I found it enjoyable.

National Geographic has one out called Blackbeard; Terror at Sea which is very well done for a documentary, but kind of skips over the whole grounding of the Queen Anne's Revenge thing. One minute he's on the QAR and the next on the sloop Adventure with no explanation. Of course there are time limitations on such projects, but that's kind of a biggie if you ask me. Still I enjoy watching it quite a bit.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

The one I liked they repeated yesterday was Modern Marvels "Pirate Tech". Which I found much more informative.

A lot of them pirate documentaries seem to repeat themselves, especially if you already have knowledge of pirates already, skip facts or don't want too much information for a 1 hour show. They do that with anything related with History. What was also fun was Discovery Channels "Mythbusters" Pirate myths.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

The History Channel's total lack of even a semblance of accuracy in costuming, set decoration or casting has put me off their entire network. I once sawa 6 ft, 300-lb bearded man cast as James Madison! (who was barely 5 ft tall, maybe 120 lbs and of course clean-shaven.) If they are that slipshod in production details, I can't help but disregard the entire show as irrelevant.