Navigation Tools

Mission

Dutch was explaining navigational tools at PiP this year and I never caught all of his explanations as I was explaining surgical tools. So I have taken one of the photos of his stuff and numbered it. Can anyone tell me what it is? (Maybe like Dutch?) I have these photos of him using most of this stuff and I don't know the names to call this stuff by. (I know 1 and 6 are timers, but what did they call them on the ship? And what were their uses?) He also had a knotted rope, presumably used to measure speed - but, again, I don't want to call it the wrong thing on my web page. No sense in mis-educating people.

Dutch%20Navigation%20Equipment%202%20Callahans%20Numbered.jpg

Thanks!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

#5 I believe be method t' tell yer speed, how many "knots" ye be travel'n. I can not explain off th' top o' me head but I have heard th' explanation a couple times now as well as at Cutthroats o' Corona last spring.

(Update) Found it, it be a Chip Log: Webpedia Chip Log t' tell how many Knots ye be go'n

#4 and I think #8 as well by types o' sextants, can't really see #8 in th' photo but I am pretty sure that it is.

(Update) Ah, #8 appears t' be more an Octant then a Sextant: Octant instrument

(Updated) #4 would be properly called, I think, a Backstaff or back-quadrant: Davis Quadrant

"The backstaff or back-quadrant, is a navigational instrument that was used to measure the altitude of a celestial body, in particular the sun or moon. When observing the sun, users kept the sun to their back (hence the name) and observed the shadow cast by the upper vane on a horizon vane."

#1 and #6 be hour glasses, a means t' tell time, used in conjunction with other tools t' navigate across waters, as well as know when it be Rum Time :P

(Update) I believe #6 be th' 30 Second Sand Glass as mentioned in th' Chip Log explanation:

"The chip log was "cast" over the stern of the moving vessel and the line allowed to pay out. Knots placed at a distance of 47 feet 3 inches (14.4018 m) passed through a sailor's fingers, while another sailor used a 30 second sandglass (28 second sandglass is the current accepted timing) to time the operation.

However, The Dutchman's log could be used with a brass tobacco box, rectangular with rounded ends. This box had tables on it to convert log timing to speed.

The yellow un-number'd item be a lemon, it helps prevent scurvy 'n goes well in tea :P

#3 and #7 I can not see....

#2 looks interesting, I would like t' know about it too!

Oh, 'n th' bell, that is t' signal t' th' rest o' th' crew that th' hour glasses have struck Rum Time....usually held off on ring'n it till th' navigator gets he's head start :P

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

certainly

1&6) sand glass'. the small is a 28 sec and the large is a hour glass.

2) traverse board

3) navigators log book

4) davis backstaff

5) chip log- the 5 is sitting on the chip, also known as a fish.

7) ships lines, in particular- Luna.

8) cross staff- predecessor of the backstaff

the "grapefruit" is acually my highly detailed model of the earth. its used to help explain declination.

there are three additional pieces of equipment laying on the table that are not identified. anyone care to try to find them?

Well, there appears to be a telescope behind the "earth". Definitely useful for terrestrial navigation. Additionally, behind and between the bell and the hour glass appears to be a magnifying glass and a sundial compass or sea ring. Of course, that's if you're not including the tankard to hold down the charts on a windy day, or the leather flask to fill the tankard when it's windy and the charts just don't matter anymore.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

certainly

1&6) sand glass'. the small is a 28 sec and the large is a hour glass.

2) traverse board

3) navigators log book

4) davis backstaff

5) chip log- the 5 is sitting on the chip, also known as a fish.

8) cross staff- predecessor of the backstaff

the "grapefruit" is acually my highly detailed model of the earth. its used to help explain declination.

there are three additional pieces of equipment laying on the table that are not identified. anyone care to try to find them?

Thanks for the info! In one sentence, what do they do? For example, why is there a 28s Sand Glass? (I'll be sure to give credit where it's due.) I do know about the back and cross staves. (With the cross staff you figure longitude by looking into the sun, with the back staff you turn your back to it.) The log book is pretty clear as well.

Items not identified:

The ship's bell - used to "announce" time.

The silver thing on the ship's lines - which Coastie identifies as a 'scope. (And I trust Coastie on this point.)

Dutch's mug - used to make Dutch unreliable as the navigator.

(I don't see the sundial ring, although I seem to recall you having a ring.)

Is the rope with the weight on the end (not shown here) for taking depth measurements? Does it have a name?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

(With the cross staff you figure longitude by looking into the sun, with the back staff you turn your back to it.)

Latitude.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

In one sentence, what do they do? For example, why is there a 28s Sand Glass? (I'll be sure to give credit where it's due.)

"The chip log was "cast" over the stern of the moving vessel and the line allowed to pay out. Knots placed at a distance of 47 feet 3 inches (14.4018 m) passed through a sailor's fingers, while another sailor used a 30 second sandglass (28 second sandglass is the current accepted timing) to time the operation."

~Webpedia

...also it could be used t' time how fast one can chug a vessel o' rum, but only when th' capt'n naught be look'n <_<

(that could be "one sentence" if ye replace th' ending periods with a comma :unsure: )

Is the rope with the weight on the end (not shown here) for taking depth measurements? Does it have a name?

That's called a lead line and yes, it's used for taking depth measurements.

As for the bell, I was thinking more of navigational equipment, not just announcing ship's time. And the item I identified as a telescope, I'm not 100% sure, but that's what it looked like from the picture, so I made that assumption.

Also, upon further inspection, there's a pair of brass dividers just behind the chip log, near the 28 sec glass.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

yes to all of the additions to the list. the sundial is actually a sundial and compass- neat little device i found. the ring that mission mentions, but is around my neck is called a shepherds/sailors dial/ring. There are two cylendars about 1.5 inches within each other. the inner ring slided around the outer. the inner ring has a pin hole. the outside of the outer ring is marked in months, the inner hsa time. hold up to the sun and the sun dot lands on the time............... in theory.

there is also a chalk board and chart of the chesapeake bay not shown in the photo.

(With the cross staff you figure longitude by looking into the sun, with the back staff you turn your back to it.)

Latitude.

That too. (I always get the two terms mixed up. I knew it was the bands going crosswise. Yeah, yeah, LONGatude. They could be long either way, though. Well, except for at the top. Never mind.) Dammit Jim, I'm a surgeon not a navigator!

Explanation? Anyone? I can't seem to find this on-line, all I get is the stupid mooring lines! And Luna definitely just confuses Google. Would someone please explain this? LIKE DUTCH? (Pleeeeease?)

Mission_banner5.JPG

The Luna is Dutchie's new toy... she will be a Bermuda Sloop and ready to sail in 2010... or so we hope.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The Luna is Dutchie's new toy... she will be a Bermuda Sloop and ready to sail in 2010... or so we hope.

Oh, that's right! I'd actually like to put a link to any info they have on-line seeking funding for that project. (Any PR is good PR, even on my dinky website. :blink: ) Anyone know what a ship's line is?

Mission_banner5.JPG

There is a thread here some where Mission either Lunacy or the Luna Project... there is a link in that to the site covering the new boat.

ship's lines should be drawings of the boat

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

a little shameless promotion of ours, not just mine. http://www.colonialseaport.org/

Dad is back on the job, last week we finished placing a few more of the new after frames and most of the transom frame is in. this will allow the building of the raised doghouse that identifies her as a Bermuda sloop. A suitable gaff has been found, now we just need to let her dry. Next weekend will bring more frames and the placement of the cut outs for the aft bulkhead. I'm being moved inside to work on the jollyboat- hope to have her floating in time for Blackbeard. and a bit of time is going to be devoted to a personal pyrating project that will eventually be added to the website as well.

now back to the topic. sterling is most correct. ships lines are a working plan of a ship. what a grand prize they would be for a pirate to get ahold of.

Glad to hear Dad is back in action!

Crewe of the Archangel

Dad is trully an amazing man!!! i'd have curled up and felt sorry for myself!

anyhow, I'm working on a navigation curriculum (sp?) its a long way from finished, but i'll share when its done.

Thank you, Dutch. I would be interested in seeing that. Next PIP I intend to listen to your demonstration on navigation.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

nope, sorry animal- listening is not allowed next year! audience participation will be required!!! :) Heck- the more the merrier. ya know, its funny- i've run across many reenactors/ living historians/ what evers who hold information near and dear and look at you with two heads if you ask them questions about their gear and how to use it. It's no bloody secret!!!!!! just new or not clear to some folks. I enjoy sharing lots of ideas and different thoughts with everyone here, heck- most of my stuff, i stole from someone else (figuratively, not litterally- like stynky)

It always cracks me up when i'm out with the Explorer. Lots of folks ohhh and ahhh, when I offer an invitation to board I get a lot of "i can do that?" Hell, if you have a strong back and can swim- you can row!!! I don't care. I have a rare opportunity to offer hands on to folks who are interested, but normally don't get to do such things- why not share? maybe next year we could talk the wolf into taking a few of us out and actually use the gear as it should be used!

Edited by bbcddutchman

I just ran aground on this link:

Astrolabs (dot) org

They have pages going into depth about Astrolabs and even planes for making your own Maritime Astrolabe and even a downloadable computer version (they report problems with in running on Vista).

I have only began t' read for there is much there but if anyone else is interested please leave some bandwidth for me too!

Ha Madl, cool link...I think perhaps the last made astrolabe is Capt. Enigma's, who is a member of the pub...he did beautiful work on one ...

Crewe of the Archangel

Celestaire.com has mariners astrolabes for $18.00. Here's the link...

http://celestaire.com/catalog/products/1703.html

I know this because I'm in the slow process of picking up items to learn a bit of celestial navigation, just to be able to say I can do it...besides, if Blackbeard did it, so can I!

Ha Madl, cool link...I think perhaps the last made astrolabe is Capt. Enigma's, who is a member of the pub...he did beautiful work on one ...

Damn, thats sharp!

eh, :lol: Capt'n Sterling, I have naught heard o' this Captain o' which ye speak. Are ye sure he naught be but a enigma at th' bottom o' a bottle?

Capn Bob, that is Nice, have ye seen any other? Perhaps built more like th' Shepard Watch versions of th' nocturnal watches? (solid metal or pewter)

You mean...*expensive* ones (gasp!)? I haven't seen others...I'm sure there's others out on the net, maybe trying "reproduction astrolabes" in google

eh, :rolleyes: Capt'n Sterling, I have naught heard o' this Captain o' which ye speak. Are ye sure he naught be but a enigma at th' bottom o' a bottle?

Capn Bob, that is Nice, have ye seen any other? Perhaps built more like th' Shepard Watch versions of th' nocturnal watches? (solid metal or pewter)

Damn, thats sharp!

The Sheperd's Watch is an age old time piece:

"HISTORY AND LORE

The Nocturnal dial was first used in the 15th century by navigators who needed to tell time by the position of the stars. Prior to the early 17th Century, mechanical pocket watches were uncommon, expensive and unreliable. The traveler who wished to keep track of time was forced to rely on a portable sundial. We are told that King Charles I carried a silver pocket sundial, and that on the evening preceding his execution, he entrusted it to his attendant as a last gift to his son, the Duke of York. Henry II was notoriously late for his love trysts with his mistress and eventual wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine (he was usually on a hunt). In 1152 Eleanor had a special, portable sundial created for him so that he¹d know when to leave the hunt to meet her. Moved by her love, Henry ordered his court jewelers to create a copy for Eleanor - inlaid with diamonds, rubies, other precious stones, and the words, "Carpe Diem" or "Seize the Day."

Sheperd's Watches of old

th' Nocturnal watch is somewhat o' a miniature Astrolab o' sorts, actually a 'sun dial' what uses th' stars:

Nocturnal Sheperd's Watch

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of Longitude...the description below also contains a chart of observations and explanations of the numbers that went into Wood's calculations which I did not copy - if only because I cannot reproduce many of the symbols. I will be happy to scan in if someone would like to see it (once I get to a scanner). If not, I'll probably forget. :D This is from John Wood's Captain Wood’s Voyage Through the Streights of Magellan, &c., from William Hacke’s A collection of original voyages (1699):

“[1670] The Night of the same Day or our Arrival here [Port Desire], I observed the beginning and ending of the Ecclipse of the Moon. Whereby I found the difference of Longitude between London and this Place to be 70 d. which in Time is four Hours, and 52 Minutes.

__

__

It appears therefore that this Ecclipse began at London, 17 m. 52 seconds past One a Clock on Monday Morning, September the 19th: But in this Place I observed the beginning of the Altitude or Scorpion to be on Sunday Night, September the 18th, at 5 m. 48 seconds past Nine: Therefore the difference of Time betwixt this Place and London is 4 Hours 52 Minutes, which converted into Degrees, gives 73 d. for the difference of the Meridian; Betwixt London and this Place is 66 degrees from the Lizzard. The middle of this Ecclipse I could not see for the Clouds, but off the Land are to be observed 12 hours and 30 m. by the Altitude and Mars, which makes the total duration to be 52 seconds more here than in London.” (Wood, p. 71, 73)

Mission_banner5.JPG