Sea Chests

Island Cutter

Desired Features in a Sea Chest  

31 members have voted

1. 1. General Design - Single Most Important Feature

• Inexpensive (Will be less PC)
    • Historically Accurate (Will be more expensive)
    • Functional Size (Will fit larger items)
    • Sturdy (Holds up to "Event Abuse")
  2. 2. Many replica Sea Chests cost upward of $500.00. What would you consider affordable for a 31 x 17 x 15 Period "looking" Chest that was made from modern materials? This chest would be strong enough to sit and probably stand on. Please note that shipping charges typically run about $60.00 throughout the Lower 48

• Less than US $200.00 (plus shipping)
    • About US $200.00 (pluss shipping)
    • More than US $200.00 (plus shipping)
  3. 3. Considering cost, would you like an "entry level" Sea Chest that could have upgraded features added to it at a later time, and for an additional cost? (Like Lock & Key, handmade rope becket handles, period correct hinges, custom painting or carving of your name and/or Ship's name)

• Basic affordability is all that I am looking for in the Sea Chest
    • I would like a Sea Chest that could have additional upgrades
    • I want all of the bells and whistles when I buy it
  4. 4. Is the ability to disassemble a chest of any importance to you (A disassembled chest could be shipped or checked as baggage)

• This is an important feature. A Must Have)
    • This is a nice feature, but not very important
    • I probably have no need to disassemble the Chest
  5. 5. You will save in shipping costs if the chest is originally sent to you disassembled. You will need only a screwdriver and a few minutes to put the chest together. Is this cost savings important to you?

• I will assemble the chest to save some money on shipping
    • I would like to have the chest already assembled when I get it.
  6. 6. As mentioned, an entry level chest would be made out of modern plywood sheet materials and hardware. I would use Marine Grade-Overlayed Ply that, when sealed & painted will be hard to tell from solid, painted pine. The MDO Plywood saves in materials and labor, but does not have a wood grain texture, and needs to be painted. Is this aspect ok for your uses?

• An affordable, sturdy, painted Sea Chest is fine for my uses.
    • The plywood is acceptable, but I would spend more to use Hardwood Ply with the edges banded so that it looks more like solid wood, and it can be stained and varnished.
    • It's got to be solid wood (Pine, Oak Mahogany, etc.) and I would pay more to have it that way.
  7. 7. To save shipping costs, Group orders can be placed, or the Chests could be delivered at events that we attend. Would this be of interest to you?

• My group might be interested in several chests. We would be interested in Group Pricing and/or Bulk Shipment
    • I could wait for you to deliver at an event near to me in order to save shipping costs.
    • I am willing to pay for Direct shippment to get the Sea Chest sooner.
  8. 8. One of the things we do best is Customization and Personalization. Is this feature of interest to you?

• Personalization is important, but I would not pay extra for it
    • I would be willing to pay a small, additional fee for a personalized Chest
    • Personalized design and size are important to me and I understand that they would cost a little more

It looks sharp. How do you plan to test it? Are going camping with some large pirates in bad weather?

:D

Well... only time will tell on how it holds up to the elements, but if the viking sea chest that I made about 20 years ago is any indication, it should do well (alibi most of those twenty years have been spend in a nice, cozy room.). It's not meant to be left outside or actively abused, but it is made to be used under "normal circumstances", what ever they are. :D

As for the issue of strength... I am 6' tall and weigh "about" 180 lbs. First I sat down on it. It felt sturdy. Then I dropped my stern down on it, HARD! Still OK. Then I stepped up on it. No Problems. Then I hopped up and down on it... just a little bit. Still held together. I am sure that if I get on my hockey gear (to cushion my inevitable fall), and really jumped up and down, I would eventually discover the breaking point; but it does seem to be able to hold up to "real life" usage.

As mentioned, it is made from Exterior Grade MDO Plywood. The same stuff that I use in my Sign Making business. It hold up very well, day in and day out in this wretched climate here in the Northeast... Cold wet Winters and blistering Summers with rainy spells thrown in just for fun. The important thing is to keep a good finish on the chest, especially the edges, and it should serve you well for many years.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

How does it assemble from the KD position? Do I have to screw it together?

Sorry, I neglected to explain that.

Yes, The chest hold together with screws through the faces of the front and back. The counter sunk holes would be covered with wooden plugs. It goes together pretty quickly:

there is a rabbeted slot at the bottom of each board that accepts the bottom sheet panel (the central and slightly darked board in the knocked down view). You slide this into the back panel, add a side panel and fix it first with a screw to hold it as you repeat for the remaining sides. Once it's held together, you just go around flushing it up and adding the remaining screws.

I'm priming and painting now, so more images will be up soon.

How do you plan to test it?

He will sit on it.. I think that was one of the intentions

pertaining to strength. We will turn it over to 'Consumer reports' for

more rigorous testing later..eagh eagh

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I am sure that his fellow shipmates would gladly help him test out this chest. You should bring it to the next meet up in February Island Cutter. We will put it through the paces and gawk at its beauty (if it hold :lol: )

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

Just a thought. I was a touring guitar technician for 18 yrs. and have seen many cube shaped stage props that were assembled with plywood and a few sliding barrel latches on the inside and were sturdy enough to hold your average musician. They latch together (no tools needed) faster than individual screws, and are sturdy enough to stack, stand or sit on. an ye don't havta fill all those screw holes.

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

Just a thought. I was a touring guitar technician for 18 yrs. and have seen many cube shaped stage props that were assembled with plywood and a few sliding barrel latches on the inside and were sturdy enough to hold your average musician. They latch together (no tools needed) faster than individual screws, and are sturdy enough to stack, stand or sit on. an ye don't havta fill all those screw holes.

An excellent idea and one that I have fiddled with in the past for a "period style" enclosure for a very large, very modern ice chest. It works well enough if the piece is going to stay put, but there is a tendency for things to rattle around a bit when it is lifted or moved.

The best solution to the issue is using the pro grade KD fittings from suppliers like Rockler.

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

This is one of the"upgrades" mentioned in the survey poll.

If the chest is going to be shipped flat and set up permanently only once, then the screws and wood plugs are fine. If the intention is to knock it down and set it up frequently, then these fittings are nearly a must. They won't add too much to the cost, but they will make the mobile lifestyle much easier.

Here is an image of a nearly completed Sea Chest...

It still needs some work, and I already have improvements to the next one.

All of the KD (knock down) fittings will be internal and invisible from the outside. In fact, they will be hardly noticeable on the inside. That will eliminate the need for the screws through the face of the chest and make assembly/disassembly even easier.

Next step: Personalizing

painted_chest_sm.jpg

Here is an image of a nearly completed Sea Chest...

It still needs some work, and I already have improvements to the next one.

All of the KD (knock down) fittings will be internal and invisible from the outside. In fact, they will be hardly noticeable on the inside. That will eliminate the need for the screws through the face of the chest and make assembly/disassembly even easier.

Next step: Personalizing

painted_chest_sm.jpg

Well, it's been a few days since I posted the image and it seems that interest has become becalmed. Your observations are important to me as my interest is in creating a product in which you will be satisfied. Critique Away.

I've been holding off a bit, waiting to see the next generation chest.

I am quite impressed with the first one here, the paint makes it look even better.

I know later, straight sided chests had one or two 'shelves' (I can't remember the proper terminology for them at the moment) inside of small items.

Don't know if this style would have such as well.

The becket(s) look great too, will the screw holes get covered as well?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I am quite impressed with the first one here, the paint makes it look even better.

I know later, straight sided chests had one or two 'shelves' (I can't remember the proper terminology for them at the moment) inside of small items.

Thanks for the input.

I have learned a lot in making this KD version versus a traditional solid lumber version...

The next incarnation (coming as soon as next week) will have no externally visible fastenings and the KD (Knock Down) fittings will be less obvious and even easier for the end user to assemble. The internal details such as half shelves or the "till box" as it was sometimes called, would certainly be available.

I will be sure to post the new images as soon as I the next chest is built.

Boniface "Boncoeurs" Coeurloupe

"Le Coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point"

Thanks for the input.

I have learned a lot in making this KD version versus a traditional solid lumber version...

The next incarnation (coming as soon as next week) will have no externally visible fastenings and the KD (Knock Down) fittings will be less obvious and even easier for the end user to assemble. The internal details such as half shelves or the "till box" as it was sometimes called, would certainly be available.

I will be sure to post the new images as soon as I the next chest is built.

Sorry, did it again... Replied from the session me Mate Boncoeurs left open. I still can't figure out why this Crazy Floridian Boucaneer would come to visit us here in the Northeast in the middle of Winter. I think he's sweet on my eldest Niece.

I picked up a couple of small chests at Hobby Lobby. They were inexpensive, look OK and serve as a place to store my gear aboard. When I get really serious about having a sea chest I'd probably build my own, so I didn't respond to the poll.

Edited by Joe Pyrat

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

I am very impressed! Looks great! Would we be able to choose the paint colors though? I would prefer a more natural stained look for ours. I am very interested in your project here, and also put in the survey for a "bulk" purchase for our crewe. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the completely finished products ye are doing. :blink:

I am very impressed! Looks great! Would we be able to choose the paint colors though? I would prefer a more natural stained look for ours. I am very interested in your project here, and also put in the survey for a "bulk" purchase for our crewe. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the completely finished products ye are doing. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Choice of colors and/or woodgrain finish versus paint grade finish is no problem. In fact, I encourage this. I would most like to make individualized pieces within a production set up. More images of this, as well as the next version will be on there way shortly.

I picked up a couple of small chests at Hobby Lobby. They were inexpensive, look OK and serve as a place to store my gear aboard. When I get really serious about having a sea chest I'd probably build my own, so I didn't respond to the poll.

Yes... if you look around there are a few good and very affordable pieces available. Once painted or stained & finished, they look right at home for our purposes.

If you do plan to build one yourself, I would look into this site for plans

Sea Chest Plans on CD

Although I have not purchased the CD, the site came highly recommended to me.

• 1 month later...

OK, here is my version in progress. I tried to stick to period construction, wide pine, forged nail construction. I did use poplar for stiffening the lid, moldings, and bottom runners. Just waiting on the hinges which should be here this week. After that the whole thing get a coat of milk paint. Beckets are in progress. Will post more as I get things done

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02504.jpg

Edited by Edward O'Keeffe

• 6 months later...

OK, here is my version in progress. I tried to stick to period construction, wide pine, forged nail construction...

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your post... I really though that this thread went "dormant".

Your Sea Chests are truly beautiful. You are a master even with the most common of materials. I believe that I have also seen one that you have done in cherry, with dovetail joints... Amazing.

In my own work, I am often wrestling with a dilemma... make historically accurate, fine furniture, which is expensive to produce; or try to bring to market an affordable "likeness" from modern materials. The KD Sea Chest is designed for camp use and abuse, and since it would be painted over anyway, I experimented with the MDO plywood. I am now creating another chest from common White Pine so that I can compare the two side by side.

I hope that you will post some pictures of the finished chest. Again, Great Work, Sir!