ANTIQUE FABRIC for SALE the "Wools"

SOLD

all of it.

Moving into the wools

The English really liked wools. They were masters of its manufacture. While other countries royalty and upper classes would be found in the finest silks and other fabrics, wool found a place in every Englishman's (and English woman's) Wardrobe. From the King on down to the lowest of peasants, wool was the Fabric for England.

W-gof.jpg

First up is:

W-A Grosgrain Wool 5.5 yds x 60" med weight Yards

Grosgrain fabric has a ribbed appearance. It was very popular in centuries past. Some say that "Grog" gets its name from the Captain of a ship who invented it. He apparently wore a Grosgrain Coat, and was known as old "Grog". Can't confirm that, but none the less, here is 5.5 yards that is 60" wide. The color is a brownish orange... I'd say burnt orange, but I have a lot of burnt orange wool... this one is more subtle. Its a lighter style of wool, that is, its not like a blanket, so you won't be sweating to death in it.

W-a.jpg

I was going to make a Justaucorps out of this.... now is your chance to do the same.

W-B Melton Wool Burt Orange 4 Yards x 60"

I picked this up from a Swanky fabric shop in London about 8 years ago. There were going out of business, and had this Nice Italian Melton on sale from 40 Pounds sterling a yard to something more reasonable. I bought it without an idea of what I would use it for, but there maybe enough to get a decent early Justaucorps or definitely some breeches. Almost too nice for a short jacket, unless you were an officer...

I would say this is a heavier weight wool. Made by RIOTEX. Style "Ricky", Color Orange. The orange is a little brighter than the above grosgrain, but still in the "burnt" family. Not a Halloween Orange

W-b.jpg

W-C Herringbone Twill Wool 8.8 Yards x 60"

Whenever I can find interesting quality wool at less than $10 a yard, I usually jump on it. I saw this wool at a "The Original Reenactor Market in the UK about 5 years ago and thought it would make a nice suit... Justaucorps and breeches. It certainly is enough material. Its a lighter weight wool... at least re-enactor wise and its a nice "Salmon" color. There is enough here to make a dress as well, if you are into that kind of thing

W-c.jpg

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

SOLD... all of it.

W-D Mustard/Khaki Wool med/heavy 4.7 Yards x 60"

I was visiting relatives in a sleepy little PA town during the summer of 05, and my brother in-law told me about a little auction that he liked to go to. I am a sucker for a flea market, garage sale, or Auction so I glady left the wife and kids with her sister and we took off. My curse is that the cool things for sale is always directly proportional to how much money I have in my pocket. I didn't have much, which ensured a great find was in store. We got to the auction with very little time for the preview, the time to look over items before the auction started.

Wouldn't you know, part of the auction was boxes and boxes and boxes of clothing and fabrics from an estate sale. I only had time to look at a few, and really didn't get to seem much more than the top layer of things in the boxes.

As luck would also have it, there were a few other clothes/fabric whores attending in the crowd, which kept me from getting them for nothing, and I made sure I returned the favor.

Anyway, I did get a few boxes, though I missed one with about 10 corsets from the mid to late 19th century AGGGGGHHH!

But i got some really nice wools and this piece is one. I love this wool, and hate to part with it. I kept thinking of what I would make with it. I am a big guy, so a later Justaucorps isn't always in the cards as they take a TON of fabric. But its definitely enough for a pre-1710 style as there are not as much to the skirts. I am guessing that the material is from around or before WW1. There wasn't any clothing in the box that was newer than that. Mostly end of Victorian period - Edwardian Period stuff.

W-d.jpg

W-E Warm Khaki/Orangish Medium Weight Wool 8.8 yards x 60"

As much as I love W-D, I like this one more, and there is more of it. It came from another box (I got 3 boxes) in the above sale. This is a big piece of fabric. And I was saving it for something.... a special clothes making occasion. Its enough to get a late Justaucorps AND a pair of breeches. Make a waistcoat of out of the water'd silk (see the Silks ad i have) and you would have a cracker jack gentleman's kit. There is plenty of fabric for women's clothes as well. Let you imagination be your guide as this is a nice English earthy tone.

W-E.jpg

First come first served...

Let me know if you need any more info.

PM me if you are interested

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!