What do you hate in a pirate?

Jib

Hate is a strong word, but speaking of words, I had my share with a few pirates that were abusing Fort Zachary Taylor in 2005. They got horribly drunk and were damaging fort property and risked getting their necks broken in the process. Needless to say I got very vocal about it, because their neglect of the place jeopardized our return to the fort year to year.

I hate people who ruin a good thing for everyone else.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right about the use of words like hate, sometimes it is just a bloody shame that some don't care about the greater good of an event. Recently while at PIP, I had to speak to a group of "Day Pirates" who showed up at a camp next to us and began shouting mid-day about "pass out the rum and give us some beers" .... For them it was just another excuse to see how drunk they could get before the public was off site. One complaint from a concerned visitor could put the kibosh on the beach encampment if it was made to the park superintendent (you know the old cry "Why can they drink in the park and we're not allowed to???) So I do understand what you mean William!

As this is an opinion topic fyne i dislike the fact that people choose to deside that there are lines in the sand in this HOBBY.....yes there are few of us that make our living at this so it stands as a hobby. There is room for all sorts of folks, families, singles, men and women it does not matter, what matters is how you choose to adapt yourself to it.

That said it bothers me that there are people out there that think just because you are either PC or hollywood that you dont belong at events or in forums. that is why as i understand there are DIFFERENT forums on places like the pub.......there are places to discuss what your particular interests are and some for the coming together of the various and assundery points of veiw. if an event is PC then do the best you can to fit in, if it is a ren faire or day festival then dress to fit in there, but there are reasons that the different venues exsist.

the main point of my wondering is to say that I enjoy this hobby because of all the people I have gotten to meet both online and in real life.....so thanks to all who do what you do and keep going on it...

just me twa pence

ye ships potter

Salty

Edited by Saltypots

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

That's why I like the Pub. You have everything from Twill to Airship Pyrates, and all the stuff in between. Something for everyone. To me, that is very kewl. :blink:

However, there is a special dark, slimy place in Davey Jones locker for people who screw up and act like jerks at events, and spoil it for the rest of us, or risk losing a great event site.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

*sigh* why can't we all just get along......

Because we ARE human..... it's just the way we all play...... We enjoy good fun juicy conflict.... :blink:

Remember... Pyrates ain't PC and we ain't always nice (hungover and cranky sometimes).... (but we can do one heck of a good job/thing about allowing everyone else wot don't agree wit us here in the Pub to their have their fair say......(and that says something really good about alla us...))

Yeah... Hate is kinda a strong word for the topic.... but there are things that Peeve, make me uneasy... or I just HATE THE CRUD OUTTA.....oops

OK... the Authentic vs. the Hollywood debate will keep going on.... (just the way this all works...)

If you are a totally committed Hollywood Pyrate, and I'm totally committed to being an Authentic Pyrate..... does that mean that we can't type at each other, or post stuff in the Pub?... is it so exclusive that I can't say Hi to you if we meet at an event...... :blink:

Ain't it great that it don't work that way........

SEE.... AND THAT IS WOT IS SO DANG COOL ABOUT ALLA IT.... we can each play the way we want... and have lots of fun doing so.....

SO there are things that Pyrates don't "like".... I think we can be Pyrate enough to deal wit that......... can't we ? :blink:

You have everything from Twill to Airship Pyrates,

Yeah... I'm an Authentic... and an Airship Pyrate...... :blink: (just not at the same time...)

Both are fun, and I will keep doing both.....

Have fun... play it your way, there are other Pyrates playing just the same.....

well said... again patrick. there is plenty of room for all of us to do our own thing. i just wish people would appreciate established crews for what they are and not join, then complain because it is not what they expected......... hey, welcome to "crew X" there are plenty of different ways to do it, but this is what we focus on. are you sure this is what you are interested in? if not maybe these folks at crew "Y" can help you out... oh no, this is great. i would love to join "crew X" this is what i want to do. six months later..... ohhhh i don't like this, why cant i (fill in the blank) like crew "Y".... uhhh, because thats not our focus!

Edited by bbcddutchman

Kinda funny (a discussion about Authentics)

I wanted to got to the Black Beard Festival....

Looking on their web page, they said that they were very authentic... aw heck... I could get plenty of references that I was authentic.....

It's not until I meat Dutch, that I may have the go ahead...

I am not picking on the Black Beard festival.... nor Dutch (who how I just met at PiP...)

They have standards that they want to meet. even with references, they didn't know me.... We now got it kinda figured out .....

WOW... someone just looking at becoming a Pyrate, may think.... "I can't do that....."

Sure you can....

Just depends (no dipper jokes) on what you wanna do....

if you wanna be a Pyrite...Johnny Depp, Captain Hook, or something you've seen on TV or inna movie..... no problem....

if you wanna know what Pyrates really wore, and how they were.... just ask us... (you'll get more information than you knew existed... we love to share.....)

Hey... Rummba is a great Pyrate.... she isn't a period Pyrate, but she still is cool.... (I couldda named a whole bunch more ... but ye get me drift...)

We are all having fun doing wot we enjoy.... no matter wot the flavor.....

We are all Pyrates..... just playin' our own different ways.......

"farby poly-pyrate" who walks up and says "How did you get into this and how do I get into this? Where do you get the clothing? that is a cool sword, do you use it?"

I'm afraid that was me at the Lock House in Havre de Grace, MD 2007 :rolleyes: You were all very patient with me :D

I'm pretty much all Hollywood (hell half the time I'm a mermaid!). I put more effort into my outfits than just stopping at the Hot Topic, but I'm afraid I am far from historically accurate.

I can honestly say that no one in the pub has ever given me a hard time for not being authentic. That's just one of the many reasons I like it here. After all we are in this for the fun right?

I appreciate the work "Authentics" put in to everything they do: the dress, the reenactments and everything in-between.

I think it's great that you guys take so much time to educate people in the way it really was. It's so easy for people to get caught up in the fantasy of the hobby and forget about the history behind it.

I only hate Ren folk MWUAHAHAHAHA! Haha, no I'm just kidding. I know there are many sides to piratiness so why say which is better?

I like the yo-ho let's get drunk, screw the man and have a ton of fun. Some really enjoy the performing and some just love the history.

I even love BAD pirates because I get to make fun of someone (in good nature of course). Spread the spirit!

Oh... I love the pirate babes too. To my understanding... clothing is optional so there is little difference in WHAT they wear. YAAAAAR! (Naked+eye patch=pirate)

EDIT:

Heck.. even the eye patch is optional. Wink Wink :rolleyes:

Edited by Thequartermaster

What do I hate in a pirate?

Why a Royal Navy Cutlass. That can just ruin one's day.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I just feel more at home in the company of pirates, than nobles..The pirates I've met at MNRF are some of the friendliest I've ever met at faire!

I don't care if my hat, or boots aren't period..I may in the future..but will do my best not to judge others, on their garb.

Just me 2 pence.

Black Anne Roberts

From the great white north..looking for warmer climes

I wouldn't say hate, but I really dislike it when someone repeats Arrr over and over and over and over.

I also dont really like it when I'm wearing a short sailors coat and breeches and buckle shoes and a work cap and an axe stuck in my belt and then someone asks if I'm Jack Sparrow, I just say he's my cousin.

It annoys me when a guy wears all leather with conchos on his pants like a Mariachi and carries a ninja sword and a shrunken head and then tells me a 10 minute description about his pretend ship that is supposedly parked in the dirt parking lot that is doubling as a port in Bath town and then feels the need to tell me I can't be a pirate because I'm not carrying a "Brace" of pistols and a sword...(True Story)

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

It annoys me when a guy wears all leather with conchos on his pants like a Mariachi and carries a ninja sword and a shrunken head and then tells me a 10 minute description about his pretend ship that is supposedly parked in the dirt parking lot ...

I'll have you know we took the ship over to Sunday Brunch El Torito and played music the rest of the day. We got numerous comments about how we were an authentic pirate mariachi band. So, there.

Aye, yi, yi, yi, Arrr goes the Pirate

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I wouldn't say hate, but I really dislike it when someone repeats Arrr over and over and over and over.

I'm kinda guilty of that.... it's just so much easier to yell Aargh back at someone than to get into a discussion about real Pyrates, when all they wanted to do anyway was just yell Aargh..... I don't even really think about it any more, someone sees a Pyrate, yells Aargh, and I just automatically reply back with an Aargh, and then continue what I was doing......

...i just wish people would appreciate established crews for what they are and not join, then complain because it is not what they expected
I hear you there Dutch and I have seen said scenerio in action. Seems to me that if you are a "entertainer pyrate" and are not PC you wouldn't want to be in a PC pyrate crew ...but I guess it isn't so.
It's not until I meat Dutch, that I may have the go ahead...
Patrick! We would have welcomed you with open arms ...problem is finding a place to put you. Blackbeard is held in a relativly small space and is usually jam packed with the crews they have. I was lucky, my first year we camped of site but I Callenish was a designated driver. The second year Callenish was there as a suttler and I worked with him so I got to stay in his tent. By the third year I had signed on with the Arch Angel Crew. If I hadn't I don't know that I would have had a place on site to sleep either ...heck, as it is I slept in Mary Diamonds car because I hadn't brought my CPAP machine ...you have heard me snore ...would have kept the entire encampment up with that noise bouncing off the walls of the city! lol

Shutting them down quickly.

patron: Hey jack sparrow! Pirate: Where! he owes me money, you a friend of his? you gonna pay his debt? whats in YOUR wallet bird lover? optional: Is that your wife? she would settle the score quite nicely.

patron: ARRRRR! Pirate: S, T, U, V, DOUBLEYARRR!

Since these comments are usually made in passing, if you can make em pause and think for just a moment or better yet make their friends laugh at them, usually gives ya just enough time to pass on by without further heckling.

Take it from someone who has had to walk the street alone in a pirate outfit handing out fliers for a kiddie pirate ship in places like Key West, HUMOUR IS ALWAYS YOUR BEST DEFENSE!

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

• 1 month later...
What do I hate in a pirate? Why a Royal Navy Cutlass. That can just ruin one's day.

That's a good one, Graydog! I needed that today!

What do I 'hate'...hmm...when 'joe playtron' doesn't understand not to interrupt when you are doing your 'living-history/demo/skit/' and constantly heckles or shout things that no one under the age of 16 should hear in mix company. Nice, ya? All we ask is that joe/jane platron be considerate.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 2 months later...

I don't like the Johnny Depp Clone Army. Even seeing them at costume parties or a

convention gets on my nerves. I am not suggesting that they be stripped of their

citizenship and be crucified. But rounding them them up and placing them into

re-education camps might not be a bad idea. Also, our useless federal government

should be taking steps to see that they do not reproduce or vote in any elections.

I have nothing against Hollywood pirates. As long as portions of their costume are

not made of plastic. And were not purchased from Spencer's Gifts at the mall.

I don't like fake guns. Most of them look like paperweights. I understand that real

weapons are not for everyone. And many events do not allow real weapons. This is

especially true for people residing in the Peoples Republic of California. There are lot

of things you can do with a prop weapon to make it look more realistic. I have painted

up plastic weapons before that looked well enough to freak out LE.

Oh! And bad English accents make my arse hurt.

Anyway that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Too many people looking practically exactly the same is just weird, unless it is an organized unit . . . like the military, cruise employees, the hospital, and the like.

(Oh, and a corporate suit army also creeps me out a bit. But, I do tend to wear kilts . . . )

Most Hollywood and/or historic impressions are and usually VERY interesting to talk to.

It is the Clone Army that imitates an individualistic persona that can get creepy.

Flashes of the "Locker" in the third PotC movie . . .

A Jack Sparrow in isolation is just fine and usually a lot of fun.

Though, I tend to be more interested in discussions on the "real thing" . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg