Pikes

These big weapons of pokiness caught my eye at PiP, as I saw a few used in battle and other events. Where might I find a pike for purchase, or should I try my hand at making one myself? I found a few armory sites that carry ash poles and the pointy bits (spears 'n such) and caps for the bottoms of the poles. Does one buy those pieces and then sand the heck out of the pointy bits to make sure they're safe for events?

(Willie and Doug are both holding pikes.)

Picture096.jpg

(Doug, William and Willie heading off to battle with pikes. I wants a pike!)

Picture016.jpg

Edited by Cpt Sophia M Eisley

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

You too, eh dutch? Scrounging ain't no good. These should be easier to find. *grumbles*

I found this link yesterday. Am I on the right track, or are these simply spears, not pikes?

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Spears_and_Poles.html

Sophia , that should read = willie and doug are both holding pikes

i think william made the big weapons of pokiness , pikes , we will be doing pike drills at Searel's and Drakes raid in St Augustine, they have a stash of these sticks for lending out in time of a Raid

Thanks for catching that Willie. He's got the flag, and you have the pike. (d'oh!)

So they have a stash of these for pike drills and raids? If I can catch them sometime, I'll see about learning how to make one, or maybe I can pry one away from 'em for a price. :)

Still working on design flaws, but think I have a safe and easy to carry/wield version finally on paper. Now all I need is money for stock and weather to work in. My forge/shop is not heated and partially exposed to the elements so The steel don't like to co-operate under 20 degrees very well. I found the answer to the end-cap dilemna in a historic account of pikes when I was doing research on this last year, but lost all my files when lightnin got my old box. I'm using 8 foot hardwood flagpole/standards that have a ball on the top. just reverse the ends and you have a good grip at the end and it doesn't marr the deck of someone's ship. Anyway, I haven't gotten to try out the new design yet but will post results when I do. Boarding pikes are generally shorter than those used by landsmen in battle, some were less than 5 feet in length for use below decks. I wanted to have two done for PiP to auction off but ran afoul of time and schoolwork so it didn't happen.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

• 1 month later...

I have a pike on its way to me (hopefully in time for Searles). I noticed that most pikes don't have langets on them. Are langets primarily on spontoons for period accuracy, or can they be found on other pike-ish weaponry? IMHO, it'd seem to me that they'd be commonplace, considering their purpose as reinforcement to the pole.

I ended up with about fifteen different images/drawings of pike-heads when I was doing the research. Some had the linguets, and some had a cone only, some had both. most did not have a stop on them but a few did. The ones I'm doing will be very simple, as these were the poor mans weapon of history. Mine will be a blunted blade and riveted linguets on an eight foot staff. Found some hardwood 8ft poles by the dozen for under $70 bucks, so I can really keep the cost down on these. I got my metal, now waiting for March and spring break!

Bo

Lol Silas...I can picture you keeping the youngins' at bay too.

Bo - That's an awesome deal on poles. I bought my one pole for around $20. The spear head itself is one of the elongated versions (most are either short or long), and it has wings on it that were added to prevent the pike from going in (to your enemy, critter-aka-dinner, etc) too far. For some odd reason the style reminds me of those Nerf footballs that had the fins on them. I doubt I'd ever try to throw my pike like a football though. <_<

I think I can keep them around 40-45 bucks complete if propane doesn't go way back to outrageous again. If that happens, I can just go to grinding/sanding stock removal method or cutting torch to keep it simple and cost down. Those poles I found are from a roofing supply company and they're for those big brooms and mops they use on commercial roofing jobs. Gotta sand the shellac off, then stain 'em and fit the linguets and such. I think that will take longer than any of the rest of the process.

Bo

I have an original Royal Navy boarding pike, but it probably dates from Napoleonic times, well after the GAOP. It's about 8' long and has a small, bodkin point, triangular in cross-section with a longish socket and langets. The amazing thing is, the socket fits precisely flush with the shaft and the langets are inletted. The wood-to-metal fit is incredible. You can run your thumbnail across it and you can't feel where the wood and the steel meet. It's like it was made by a master gunsmith, yet these were cheap weapons in their day. It has a small steel buttcap, likewise inletted, and a peg of the shaft protrudes through it so that the pike can be grounded without marring the deck and it would sit firmly in a rack. I bought it at Waldhorn's Antiques on Rue Royale in New Orleans in 1972. Cost me all of $25 (a serious sum for me back then.) They'd just bought up a load of stuff from a big Tower of London auction. I had $25 to spend and it was the pike or a regimental talwar in a khaki-covered scabbard. I chose the pike because I'd just been reading the Hornblower novels and I knew that talwars were available elsewhere, but I'd never laid eyes on a real boarding pike. I've never regretted the choice.

Edited by John Maddox Roberts

better wait til I have 'em done folks. Not takin orders til they are tested and approved for light combat choreography. They'll be cheap, but they will be safe and useable too. If I won't trust 'em they don't go out, that is my way. I'll keep everyone posted.

Bo

Cost me all of $25 (a serious sum for me back then.)... I've never regretted the choice.

Sweet! And I agree, I think you made the right choice. Me... I've seriously considered looking for a spontoon so I can be a proper officer if/when I ever give up piracy and settle down to live the life of a captain of Maryland militia.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

better wait til I have 'em done folks. Not takin orders til they are tested and approved for light combat choreography. They'll be cheap, but they will be safe and useable too. If I won't trust 'em they don't go out, that is my way. I'll keep everyone posted.

Bo

I'd like one when they're ready too.

• 2 months later...