Another treasure found in attic

MadL

Another trinket found in me parent's attic, but this one does not appear t' be military nor would I say GAoP.

Any idea what this may be?

Th' lid is rough on th' inside, perhaps a match strike surface?

The leather strap is naught as bad as th' last piece but it may naught be original either, it tis barely long enough t' wear around yer neck, but why would ye wear 'matches' around yer neck? Perhaps a small sewing/needle case? But then why th' rough area on th' inside o' th' lid?

Container01.jpg

Container02.jpg

...now if we can just find Capt'n Kidd's treasure map up there!

:rolleyes:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I checked with my stepdad and he's not seen anything like that before. He's a ton of antiques but never seen anything like that before. Honestly, nor have I.

But he doesn't think it's a match box or container of sorts.

Checked with any antique dealers around there to see what they know?

It's an incredibly lovely piece, MadL.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'm coming over to rummage about in your parent's attic, mate.

Could be an early match safe, but I've never seen one of that type before. Mostly they hinge fom the side, not the back.

Matches are post-GAOP, 1827 or so.

Perhaps a vinaigrette? Again doesn't look like most I've seen, but you never know.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Begad! Now see what ye done Rumba, I gotta wash butt prints off me screen again t' see what th' others wrote!!

Aye, the backside look pretty much like th' frontside only th' hinge get turned around :D

I will see if me computer be done rendering (making a picture) when I get home and I will post the backside.

Odd thing is that it must have been use'd t' hold something as th' inside be pretty stain'd, almost like black powder would do t' untreated brass or perhaps sulpher or other such stuff. It appears t' have been used t' hold something that reacted with th' metal yet did naught spill over t' effect th' outside....then I keep com'n back t' that odd inner lid - kind'o indented 'n definably rough as if use'd t' strike a match against, or something else that was 'struck' against a rough surface of such small size

Maybe it was just purddy for a lady o' finery t' wear 'n thus make gentlemen go "what's she got 'round her neck?"

It looks to be like from the Victorian period of 1780- 1840s my guess is a perfume lockette...

Bring it to the Haunted Head Saloon and we will see how much rum we can get fer it.. eagh eagh...

But of course ye can stand in line of the antique joke show to experience thar truly

well versed snideness.. We did that once..And I mean once!

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I love trying to figure this stuff out... really cool little metal locket.

can you take a picture from a couple of different angles.. and show the back? is the top just rough from how the metal is cast? or does it look like it was textured? I mean it looks fairly roughly cast. Might the top have attached to something else?..

My guess....I think it might be for a chatelaine something like this perfume bottle would explain why the strap is so short and the thing so small. could have held any manner of things, solid perfume (basically oil scented wax) or yes sewing needles, or a key.

How fun to find neat little things and wonder about what they are. I wonder what people will find of ours hundreds of years from now and wonder what they are.... Heck todays little kids must marvel over cassette tapes LOL

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

So ye be need'n her posed from other angles eh?

(ye people be sick!! <_< )

Ok, here be her back side:

ContainerBackSide.jpg

Here she be from th' side:

(kinda flat chested she be)

ContainerSide.jpg

and here be her butt with her panties pulled aside: :huh:

ContainerBottom.jpg

and here be her...uh, ye don't wanta know... :huh:

ContainerInside.jpg

note th' "striker" on th' lid, 'n th' corrossion on th' inside

(me thinks she needs better hygien!!) :huh:

I wonder what people will find of ours hundreds of years from now and wonder what they are....

RustyNell! Now ye just be TRY'N t' get me in trouble with house proprietors now are ye naught?!!? <_<

:huh:

Heck todays little kids must marvel over cassette tapes LOL

This is completly off subject but your comment made me think. A friend of mine pulled out an old Arrowsmith album ...yes vinyl ...and his daughter of about 10 said "Wow Daddy, that is a big cd. Why is the hole in the middle so small?" :rolleyes:

I found one similar in a shop while in LA and when asked I was told it was for a use of Lady to carry perfume, but in older days at times a bit of posion or medicine/herb to be carried.

Might be interesting to see if someone could do an analysis of what had been inside of it.

OH yes, I bought one for my garb. LOL.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Sila Thatcher:

Well, they do have th' mounted flintlock I am waiting for them t' issue me. Naught serviceable but in good condition so will be a nice piece on ME wall, Naught yers!

Also they have th' original Disneyland POTC poster, th' big one naught th' new one I see today, this one tis from th' 1960s when me mum stole it from a local shoe shop what had it in glass.

She say there be some other ship items but I have t' wait until they get t' their new home 'n unpack/

As for this wee item, she say she purchase'd it from somewhere she do naught remember, she use'd t' wear it around her neck as part o' her SOCA costume when she 'n me younger sibling one were members.

Silkie McDonough:

He's daughter naught really be too far off ye know. During me edumacasheeun train'n in high schoolz, me own laser instructor brought in a few o' th' very first original optical disk (CD) that was invented by Xerox Corporation where he once was employed as a design engineer. Xerox made them back around th' 60's (1960 naught 1760 btw) for th' government o' his magistrate.

Hold yer arms out as if ye be hug'n yer lover, now reach around 'n touch yer finger tips - aye, that be how large th' first Optical Disk once was!

As fer rid'n meself o' this little trinket....I must think first, would like t' know what it be...after all, a pirate 'n he' booty naught easily be part'd...except fer when he come ashore 'n there be rum involved

;p

BTW Silkie McDonough, have ye heard th' song about Silkies? I came across one one naught long ago 'n have th' link post'd in th' Sea Shanty forum, MP3 song is available for download:

http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden-wp/?p=7085

(be sure 'n find th' "seafaring" link on th' left as well for other song!)

Lady Cassandra Seahawke:

Ah sweet Lady Cassandra Seahawke, t'would be nice indeed t' find a mage o' chemistry who could tell us what secrets th' inner residue must hold - t'was it a tale o' romance 'n intrigue or t'was it a tale o' tragedy 'n deceit? Perhaps it merely held a locket o' some fare maiden's lover's hair....or perhaps someth'n much more devilish?!!?

Alas, but if I coin enough for for such a service then I think I would prefer a second frock 'n new sabre, perhaps even a brace o' pistol instead of but one.

Aye, be damn'd with Romance 'n such folly! Give Me Blood Let'n Weapons So I Can Set Forth Me Own Tells!

Neat little trinket, thicker than I expected. Thanks for the photos.

I'll stick with my first guess. I really do think it was for perfume, might explain all the corrosion too.

I'd fight Silkie for it but I'm no fool, an Irish temper is nothin to mess with.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

BTW Silkie McDonough, have ye heard th' song about Silkies? I came across one one naught long ago 'n have th' link post'd in th' Sea Shanty forum, MP3 song is available for download:
Indeed I have goode man. Tis frum det very tale where m'name wuz pucked. Det n' m'silky smooth voice ...n'mayhaps ma silky smooth skin. :D
I'd fight Silkie for it but I'm no fool, an Irish temper is nothin to mess with.
"Now lass, I wouldn' ...I'm not d'fightin ...oah ell' I'd leave ya conscious ...short one trinket, a bit light headed, buot conscious ...mooch like ya feel after too mooch rhum. :D

:blink: 'too much rum'? thar be such a thing??

PARTY AT SILKIE'S PLACE!!!!! :D

MadL, Might I suggest tat ye check with the local University, or even a advanced High School. A student mayhap be will'n to check into the contents as a project instead of pay.

Just a thought.

:blink:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Me fair Lady Cassandra Seahawke, that sound like a wonderful idea!

plus I hear them sororities be better then th' finest brothels t'boot!!!

:blink:

ummm MadL,

you can call me Cass :rolleyes:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...