Alexander Selkirk

If my information is correct, Selkirk was marooned from 1705-1709. That makes the 2009 tenth anniversary of Pyrates in Paradise coincide with the 300th anniversary of Selkirks rescue does it not? With Captain Jim's recent postings of his sea-chest and the article about the weapon that may have belonged to him, maybe this could somehow be incorporated into the PiP for 09? I am looking for more info on that gunne, and sounds like there may be a reasonable facsimile reproduced of his chest for the auction.

Anybody into first-person that would do Alex? Just another crazy rum-soaked idea of mine.

Went flea marketing again on my B-Day and picked up a couple of old books that look period bound from 1940. The titles? Gullivers Travels by Johnathan Swift, and Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe! $3 each! Now I have period reading for when I am doing colonial stuff! Also got a nice square wooden plate (trencher), and an oblong paddle shaped one with a handle too.

Bo

I am interested, however as m.c. for the pirate olympics and having volunteered to be an auctioneer next year, I dont know how much voice I can spare. What did you have in mind?

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

Gee, Chrispy, you'd be perfect for the part: Just run around wild-eyed, wild haired and dressed in rough-tanned goat skins touching other people's clothing and saying things like, "Have a ship do ye? Ship good. Rats baad. Cats are nice. Yea, though I walk through the valley of rats...no, that's not right...Have some goat?"

Yes, we must do something to commemorate the event.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Selkirk was fairly sane when he was rescued. He was a very fast runner. His feet were quite calloused and he went about bare-footed as his shoes had rotted years before. In fact, when he came shipboard, he couldn't wear shoes for weeks. He couldn't speak in complete sentences according to Woodes Rogers' account.

If you want to read about Selkirk's life on Juan Fernandez Island, I recommend two books:

Selkirk's Island: The True and Strange Adventures of the Real Robinson Crusoe by Diana Souhami. Souhami has a tendency to interpolate from the material she has read to create a POV narrative for Selkirk, which is either annoying -if you want the actual facts- or interesting -if you're one of those romantic folks who don't necessarily want to be weighed down exclusively with facts. She also found some additional period references that I haven't seen elsewhere, so her book is worth the read if you want to understand Selkirk.

And, of course, Woodes Rogers' A Cruising Voyage Round the World, pages 72-74.

Edward Cooke also has some material on Selkirk in his book A Voyage to the South Sea and Round the World in the Years 1708 to 1711, but it's very slight compared with Rogers account and most of what will interest you there can be found in Souhami's book.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'll take on Woodes Rogers... snigger... after Jack Rackham... damn the blond's gonna be soooo confused....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Would you mind very much standing downwind of me next year? Way downwind?

After the buccaneer camps gets in full swing..........everyone might want to be downwind ;)

ohhh wait ;) I'm in the buccaneer camp ;)

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Good on ye, mate: another reason to raise a tot of rhum! Here's to Alexander Selkirk!

What...? Too early to start?

Damn.

Not at all, especially on the weekend. Besides your only tasting the rhum to make sure it is appropriate for the actual toast.

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did a big toast to Alex yesterday and then forgot about it and took a pain killer before I went to bed... :angry:

I won't try to describe the dreams(?) I had, but they would make science fiction look like; "Run Dick run. See Spot run." If ya know what I mean!

I won't be doin THAT again anytime soon! Any how, here's to Alex's 300th anniversary of getting rescued! HUZZAH!

Bo