Pirate Chests...

Desert Pyrate

I was wondering if any of you know what the purpose/veracity of the curved top on a traditional "pirate treasure chest" was. It doesn't seem too useful, as you can't pile stuff into the lid anyway. Seems that you'd want a flat topped chest, as you could sit on it, stack it, etc. Thoughts or insights?

Yikes, all this talk about flat and curved chests seems like it belongs in the hot tub! :ph34r:

The first thing to think about is size. It must be considered that gold is actually heavier than lead, so the picture of a couple of pirates carrying a chest of gold the size of a steamer trunk is totally impossible. Somthing that size full of gold coins would require a fork lift, and have to be very strongly re-inforced to stand the weight !!!!

>>>> Cascabel

This is a link to a pic of a reproduction 18th cent. sea chest, http://www.tuckahoetradingco.com/gallery.html

It appears to have a flat lid as one would expect I would presume that pirates used simmiliar chest and that the traditional depection is just a fictional tradition but I will keep looking (mom has a lot of antique furniture books)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

found this bit of info

The sea chest was the only piece of furniture an ordinary seaman needed in the tight quarters aboard ship. It served as clothes press, couch, card table and writing desk, and was often made to order by cabinetmakers in seacoast towns. Rarely were chests constructed by ship's carpenters at sea.

Since the top of a sea chest lid received constant hard use, it was not decorated with painted scenes or carvings, though the underside of the lid sometimes was. Under-lid decorations, usually depictions of ships, were usually done by the chest's owner and were often crudely executed.

Sea chests with carved or painted lid tops are not necessarily fakes, however. Retired sailors sometimes had their sea chests decorated by skilled artisans ashore and even added landlubber embellishments like bracket feet. And ship's masters or officers commissioned sea chests in Oriental ports to be made with exotic woods and high-quality under-lid paintings.

Here, as with any antique, age is best determined by recognizing that elusive quality known as patina. Sea chests lived in a much more hostile environment than shore-side furniture, but their painted exteriors and bare wood interiors age much the same way. Plain as they often were, sea chests were cherished by their owners and should not necessarily look like they were carelessly knocked about.) at http://www.coastalantiques.com/archives/ma...01/ANTahoy.html Agian seems to point to a flat top still looking though.

In Treasure Chests: The Legacy of Extraordinary Boxes

by Lon Schleining ( hey mom comes through agian) There is a refrence to the dome shaped box being only a romantic ideal????

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

You can find some fine work on sea chests at Marlinespike

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

My great great grandfather was a seaman in the Royal Navy in the 19th century, and he made for all his children a toy box in the same pattern as his sea chest. My aunt has his original sea chest and I am fortunate enough to have inherited one of the toy boxes he made, which though a humble toy box can be considered an authentic 19th century sea chest. Obviously this chest post dates the Golden Age by quite some time, but i thought it worht mentioning because it is more or less the same as the chest shown in the link given by Hitman.

I have seen barrel topped chests, but not as sea chests and from earlier than the Golden Age.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I sometimes lug around my big Victorian chest with the round top to events and decorate like a pirate's wealth. It's strictly for looks and makes good picture takin'.

However, in reality, there wouldn't be a chest like it with any seafarin' sailor.

Perhaps someone, like a woman, travelin' with the ship to a new shore might have somethin' like it however.

Rumba Rue

**The bigger my eyes, the greater my want** B)

Suddenly I need a nap. Can I burrow your pillows?

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

The closet thing to a period pirate treasure chest I've ever seen is the chest from the Driscoll Piracy auction that I have mentioned here in other topics. It is purported to have belonged to Capt. Tew. Here's the catalog description with the estimated and realized price

Lot# 156 was: A heavily painted iron strong box, probably 17th century, probably German, the exterior decorated with painted florals, birds,

and the occasional angel in a Spanish style, the flat recessed hinged lid carrying a large and elaborate internal lock mechanism working

independent bolts and covered by a plate engraved with sprays and mermaid[?] figures, operated with a key through a central keyhole at the

top, a dummy keyhole on the front panel, twist drop handles on either end, the interior painted orange and a smaller locking compartment

along one side. 470x835x460mm

Estimated price $8,000.00-$12,000.00

Realized price $63,450.00!!!!!!

Here a link to a photo of it

http://www.christies.com/lwa/dec00/page3.html

It was boutght by the guy who's building the pirate museum in Key West. As you can see it a very sturdy chest. not a bit of wood and flat on top. A far more secure thing to keep booty in! :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Ah Bess, is that the puppy pile I've been hearing about?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I can't find the resource (in one of my several texts), but I seem to recall that there was a use for round-lidded chests. I can't remember where it started or how long it lasted. Supposedly, the round lids were for cargo chests that needed to be tied down. The ropes would fit tightly over the lid. If the chests had flat tops, the corners and seams would crack under the stress. Who knows? I'll continue flipping through the pages and see if I can find the source.

Wartooth

Ah Bess, is that the puppy pile I've been hearing about?

Ahh, I don't suffer puppies lad.... (just from the damnable fever)

Old age and trechery will over come youth and skill. :ph34r:

Back to be sick bed. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Aye.....

But, how big be yer hand, eh? :lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Hmmmm....

Them short stubby fingers 'r just big, big hands?

Are ye talkin' D-cup sized hands? :lol:

'ope I's not bein' too crude.... but then again... *raises hand* Pyrate!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

You can find some fine work on sea chests at Marlinespike

Wow Deacon, those are the coolest looking chests I've ever seen. Never found this site before, thanks much of the link!

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage