weights and measures

Dutchman

was wandering through one of the buildings at work and ran across this display. photos are not the best, but they are some of the colonial and state weights and measures devices. I'll list the items, but if anyone wants to see a particular piece, I can go back and get a closeup without a problem.

1226081638.jpg

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm339/b.../1226081638.jpg

from the top down

scale boxes

scales with 10,5,2, unk pound weights

1/2 peck, 1/2 bushell, peck

1/2 bushells from 1842, 1771, 1842

1226081639.jpg

from the top down

1/2 gal, qt, pt, 1/2 pt, gill- liquid measurements

1/2 pint, qt, pint- dry measurements 1/4 peck

ounce sclaes with various weights

Kg weights

1/16 to 1 gal U.S. marked, 1 litre & decalitre

Very nice find. What I wouldn't give for a collection of weights such as those.

Further tables of weights and measures are easily found in various texts of the 18th century. Good information for anyone building an impression that deals with weighted goods.

In cafting up weights or meafures whether the weights be troy or avoirdupois or whether the meafures be cloth wine or land it is done in the fame manner as pounds fhillings and pence knowing only how many drams or penny weights make an ounce how many inches a foot &c which may be known from the following very ufeful tables

John Perkins, 1796 Every Woman Her Own House-keeper; Or, The Ladies' Library. p. 28

The moft common weights ufed throughout this kingdom art two the troy weight and the avoirdupois weight. The troy weight contains 24 grains in a penny weight 20 dwts. to an ounce and 12 ounces to a pound and is ufed only in weighing bread, gold, filver and by the apothecaries in their medicines. 8 lb troy is a gallon 16 lb a peck and 64 lb a bufhel and hereby Weight and Meafure are reduced into one another

C. Hitch and L. Hawes, J. and J. Rivington, and R. Dodsley pub., 1753, "Weights & Measures of Great Britain", The General Shop Book: Or, The Tradesman's Universal Director

Chole

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog