Someone thinks we should grow up

Harry

I don't think any of us are upset about the editorial. I believe that we are amazed that someone is so closed minded while proclaiming to be compassionate about other issues. I am not worried that his comments will change anything and I know that Harry's rebuttal will be all that is needed. As Nell said, it opens up dialogue and gives us something to wonder at. :blink:

Okay, the following is what I submitted to the newspaper as a response:

RE: Letter to the Editor of 12/23/08: Piracy should inspire more shame than pride

We have to wonder what prompted Mr. Taylor to come up with his letter of 12/23/08 to the editor about the historical re-enactment of the Golden Age of Pyracy. Yes, it was called the Golden Age of Pyracy—not by our group, but by historians and one of those noted historians was author Daniel DeFoe. You might have read some of his books, Mr. Taylor—Treasure Island was one of his more well-known tomes.

Did you even attend any of the events that were part of Pirates in Paradise, Mr. Taylor? If so, did you encounter some difficulties that prompted your letter? If you didn’t attend any of the events surrounding Pirates in Paradise, what knowledge do you have of what we offered our visitors?

This event, now in its ninth year, hosted more than 150 historical re-enactors or living historians from around the United States and England who portrayed every day sailors, English soldiers, Spanish Conquistadors, buccaneers and pirates. We re-enacted the historical trial of two female pirates, we re-enacted the capture of pirates by English soldiers, we showed those who attended the event the art of navigation, we provided our visitors the opportunity to learn about the weaponry that was used during that time, we showed how sailors cooked and lived when they were shipwrecked, we demonstrated medical care of the period, and we demonstrated the basics of seamanship of the era.

Further, the re-enactors/living historians conducted a silent auction to raise money for charity. More than $800 was raised to assist with the rehabilitation of Fort Taylor, where many of the events were held. Another re-enactor group raised money to help fight cancer. We were also proud to host a young man sponsored by the South Florida Make-A-Wish Foundation. He and his family traveled from the state of New York to Key West. His wish was to experience a piratical re-enactment. Area businesses and vendors who came to our event donated clothing and supplies to this young man to make his wish come true. Many of our piratical re-enactors/living historians also contributed items to give to this young man. We challenge you to tell him he should be ashamed to have accepted these gifts from “pirates.”

By the way, Mr. Taylor, none of us who portray characters from the Age of Buccaneers or the Golden Age of Pyracy or English soldiers or Spanish Conquistadors are ashamed of whom we portray. Many of us are professionals who hold jobs working for the federal government, the state, the police department, the department store, computer manufacturers, tradesmen and tradeswomen, school teachers and the list goes on and on. You may consider us children and think we’re not grown up. We think the question here is why would we want to grow up?

We are proud to portray history because when history is forgotten, it’s destined to be repeated.

The Bone Island Buccaneers

Key West

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

HUZZAH HARRY!!! very well spoken... you can speak for us anytime... am so proud to be a BONE ISLAND BUCCANEER!!

Love ya Harry!!

XOXOX

Nell and Chrispy

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Well done indeed!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/