pistol holster

Gunpowder Gertie

It wasn't as if these "sailors" were boarding ships once or twice a day they had long periods where all they were doing was shipboard chores and sailing ships don't spring upon prize ships in instantaneous action. They had to take their time when approaching a possible prize. Crewmen had plenty of time to get and load their weapons before action; it could take them half a day to gain on a prize ship. The level of fear in the opposing crew was usually one of their greatest weapons. From everything I've read the battles seldom lasted all that long since the pirates were heavily crew balanced to fighters whereas the merchantmen were more seaman balanced. the image of every man over the rail carrying 4-6 pistols is over rated. For a boarding raid even one pistol per man, plus their cutlasses or axes, when you are sending 35 to 40 trained fighting men to board a ship with a crew of 20-30 frightened sailors the odds were pretty much in your favour. Just a thought.

Edited by callenish gunner

i agree that everyone wasn't running around the ship looking like they are josie whales. i have walked around carrying a blunderbuss with an axe, pistol and sword in my belt. you can't do much loaded down like that. i think that any sailor in his right mind would want to be able to move about swiftly and freely in any action. i do think that if anything was needed to help in transporting a weapon it would not be out of reach to have it made using canvas.