Barriers?

Brig

So....some sort of ropes are a very good idea. Re-enactors can tell spectators over and over again to stay back for safety reasons....till they're blue in the face....but some folks just don't listen. Especially some parents with kids that I witnessed. We asked them to get back a bit for safety....stay back behind where we're at....we weren't blocking the view at all, but the parents told the kids to go ahead and stand in front of me and that it would be fine. I politely told them that it was not fine and that the kids needed to stay with the parents. It was when the redcoats were coming into the fort and causing a ruckus...no shooting, but we still wouldn't want a kid getting smucked by a pirate by accident.

Banner.jpg

Not too worry folks, we will continue to emphasize safety at the Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest. Events I've attended with my CW cannon and crew, we are required to demonstrate our proficiency on the weapon--including what happens with the two stages of misfires. I see nothing wrong with that--it shows the event organizer the weapons owner(s) have a grasp on safety and aren't just toting around a big gun.

Remember, when we all work together on the safety aspects, we limit the chances of a mishap occuring to ourselves and, more importantly, to our visitors.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

reenacting is indeed enjoyable for all and PIP is a great venue for every one to get together and appreciate the comradery. Mickey, i love you like a brother, but i'm going to politely disagree with you on this one. From a gun nuts point of view- Its not a matter of who can or cannot play in the field. its a matter of enabeling everyone who wishes to, to SAFELY take the field and be comfortable knowing that the person next to them has some competence with powder and weapon. As the festival grows, obviously so does the number of shooters, with that goes the risk of injury and accident and we all know that one "oops- i didn't know" could cost Harry his job and end our days at the fort. Have faith- having safeguards in place is a good thing, but please don't feel overwhelmed. I'm certain that it can be done with minimal intrusion to those that are already squared away or those willing to learn.

Actually Dutch, your not disagreeing with me at all. I fully agree with the idea of gun safety... My concern here is ensuring that all hopeful participants have the opportunity to be included. I was ONLY disagreeing with the concept of gun training/safety lessons being held at a seperate event or prior to the festival. As long as those who are unable to get there early have an outlet to have the same opportunities as those who can, I'm more than happy.

I'm not sure how my objection to having safety lessons prior to the event got interpretted as an objection to having any safety standards, but hopefully this will clear the matter up.

On asimilar note, I was thinking this morning on the drive in to work.... How and when could a safety meeting/training session be held at the festival without interfering with the copious other activities and ideas for activities? One idea I came up with ties in with one of my more favourite memories of PiP. The sunset salute. It takes place at the end of the day, so it would not likley interfere with anything else. As long as said participant arrives by Friday afternoon, they will not get left out of any of the battles, and those arriving early Saturday would only miss one battle. There are many experienced shooters on the wall with their weapons and ready to fire anyways.... Anyways, I thought it was a decent idea, thought I would bounce it off of the rest of you.

Cheers.

P.S. I love you too Dutch.... (teers and slurring). <_<

Michael_banner.jpg

I am looking forward to participating next year. I would like to offer a suggestion if I might. What about giving a class prior to the event for those who want to participate. Upon completion, graduates of the class could be given a neck scarf with a distinctive color to wear so that the were CLEARLY qualified. Additionally, instructors could have edging sewn on the scrarf

The idea comes from boy scout camp and use of the fire arms on the rifle range. I clearly remeber wearing my neck kerchief with great pride once I had earned it! You could even come up with a name for the firing brigades and have them embroidered in somehow (if that doesn't violate PC of course!)

huh??? If a person is willing to travel half way across the country to play, wouldn't it be better to have them play safely? First time gun owners and folks that are not familiar with black powder, should be required to learn how to fire their weapon safely and in a manner that will not harm themselves or others. I have limited experience myself and would welcome any and all opportunities to attend any class offered to improve my skills. These are real fire arms and the potential for injury does exist.

I'm all in favour of classes should there be any willing to teach and take them... It was the intonation that one needed the "merit badge" in order to play that I disagree with. Some of us may not have the option of travelling early to take a mandatory weapons class.

Short of the Boyscout badges - An idea that Braze, I and Cascabel have yet to propose to Harry for next year, is having Cascabel teach his flintlock 101 course several times during the festival. It would cover basic weapons safety, maintenance, firing and cleaning - just to get everyone on the same page - like load from a charge cup vs directly from a flask, knapping flints, cleaning, etc.

We're talked about having the classes during - before or after the early morning weapons check. If that was done every day - the people that needed it or a refresher course, but arrive late could get it. Cleaning would be done at the end of the shooting day obviously.

We bounced the idea off a few people during the safety check - when we realized that several people were first time shooters of any kind. But even the experienced shooters we talked to thought the classes were a good idea.

Not to worry--a "merit badge" won't be required to play. But, as our event expands and new shooters come to play, we want to make sure they will play well and safely with others. We'll be taking steps to achieve those goals as the year moves on.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I would like to sit in on Brazes Blackpowder 101. I've been shooting for several years, I've never been in an organized instructional setting. I feel I can always learn more.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Not to worry--a "merit badge" won't be required to play. But, as our event expands and new shooters come to play, we want to make sure they will play well and safely with others. We'll be taking steps to achieve those goals as the year moves on.

Wow, I cannot believe I am the one who brought up the scouting reference. I only meant that the scarfs would be easier to see than a bracelet and would make a cool token after PIP.

I will certainly choose my words more carefully in the future.

Edited by Captain Mickey

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

Wow, I cannot believe I am the one who brought up the scouting reference. I only meant that the scarfs would be easier to see than a bracelet and would make a cool token after PIP.

I will certainly choose my words more carefully in the future.

Not in the least, it's all in good fun Mickey. In fact if I remember through the drunken fog well enough, a few of those in on this conversation are former scouts and/or still active as scout leaders (or whatever)...

But as for scarfs, many of use have neck scarves or what-not that we are rather attached to, and wearing two neck cloths would just look silly. ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

oh no we would NEVER want to look silly......................

i was thinking about the leather coasters, uh vent stalls, er um medallions that the Bonies issued out. It would only take a second to stamp them -of course then we gotta figure out how to clearly wear them.

I know i mentioned this earlier in another thread, but cascabels blackpowder 101 booklet is available through himself and NQG- it is a wealth of great information and well worth picking up.

i was thinking about the leather coasters, uh vent stalls, er um medallions that the Bonies issued out. It would only take a second to stamp them -of course then we gotta figure out how to clearly wear them.

Simple. We get leather ties and make people wear them as sisphuls. Nobody will miss that. (The shooters may miss when the coaster sags and covers their eyes, however.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG