Queen Annes War

Jib

I have some links at home (I'm at the office today)... But I am certain you will find out more if you do a search on "War of Spanish Succession". Most of the war took place in Europe and the war was named for the "Spanish Succession" there.... Probably the largest events here regarding that war were the Deerfield Masacre (Deerfield, MASS in 1704) and the battling over Port Royal Nova Scotia against the French there.

Michael_banner.jpg

There's a bunch of stuff out there, if you are looking for the European theatre of the war. Like Michael S says, look for the WotSS.

I'm really, really fond of this book - The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough.

As for the war in America... check out the Snowshoemen's website. Those dudes so rock!

http://www.snowshoemen.com/

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

There is actually a really good book about this war. I think I still have it from my American history course, but it details one of the Micmac and french raids down on New England, as well as the taking of prisoners. I'll see if I can find it in my study

There is actually a really good book about this war. I think I still have it from my American history course, but it details one of the Micmac and french raids down on New England, as well as the taking of prisoners. I'll see if I can find it in my study

"Captors And Captives: The 1704 French And Indian Raid on Deerfield " by: Evan Haefeli and Kevin Sweeney On Amazon

I beleive that is the one... I picked up my copy for $7 from the local local overstocked book reseller, if you have an overstock book seller nearby you may want to check that out. Most of the information from that book was derived from the first hand account written by Deerfield's minister, which is also available in print (but not as easy to find)... I can't recall the author's name or the proper title for that one at the moment.

Edit - There is also The Unredeemed Captive by John Putnam Demos, which reminded me that the period first hand account written by the local minister was titled "The Redeemed Captive, Returning to Zion" by John Williams....

Dutch, if you're paying attention to this thread, this is the book where I found references to Capotes in our period.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

"Captors And Captives: The 1704 French And Indian Raid on Deerfield " by: Evan Haefeli and Kevin Sweeney On Amazon

I beleive that is the one... I picked up my copy for $7 from the local local overstocked book reseller, if you have an overstock book seller nearby you may want to check that out. Most of the information from that book was derived from the first hand account written by Deerfield's minister, which is also available in print (but not as easy to find)... I can't recall the author's name or the proper title for that one at the moment.

Dutch, if you're paying attention to this thread, this is the book where I found references to Capotes in our period.

Exactly. That is the one. I found it to be a great read. A little dry in a few places, but overall wonderful

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

We're talking MASSIVE battles in Europe... Ramillies, Oudenarde and Malplaquet to name the more famous. At Oudenarde there were 100,000 troops on each side. On each side! And Malplaquet was huge, and a bloodbath. It's a fabulous time period to study, imho far more interesting than the Napoleonic Wars.

Queen Anne's War is just the American theatre, just as the French and Indian War is the American theatre of the Seven Years War and King William's War is the American edition of the War of the Grand Alliance.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.