The correct Sword

hitman

Ahoy mates, I've been lookin for info on the confederate commerce raiders. More pointedly weapons this propably runs the gammit of possibilities but maybe I can narrow it down some. Would loyalist arms naval cutlass and cabelas navy revolver cut it at muster or should I look else where? :blink:

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Found these pics of the real thing,

http://www.confederatearmscompany.com/catelog2.html

if your wonderin why I dont snap em up me maties I'll be pointen ya to the price. :blink:

Sorry I don't have a link, but try and dig up the online catalog for Atlanta Cutlery. They are the mother division of Museum Replicas. A couple of years ago they had sabers similar to that and at a good price too.

The CSA cutlass is essentially the same as the US 1841 Cutlass.

There's a replica of the CSA cutlass available for $144.99 at: Legendary Arms.

The thing you might want to bear in mind, though, is that the Confederacy was obtaining arms from overseas, and they didn't necessarily adhere to the "official" pattern.

In particular, some of the commerce raiders were purchased and outfitted overseas, and never touched the American shore.

Here's a cutlass claimed to have been used on the CSS Florida: Eagle Trading.

That was my worry deacon with so many ships and crews never touching the southern cost I cant imagine witch way to go it appears that one could do pretty much as they wished and be able to defend it but I'd like to get this into the plaussible not just possible range. I know that the Alabama was built and fitted out in europe. Is there any documantation on where they got their arms. I haven't found too much yet in my online search and our local library is so outclassed by even small town standardes for the moment the internet is the only place I can look. I'm also running into a wall in regards to my side arm but then thats another story :lol:

One should keep in mind that most Confederate troops were militia (at least early on) and even those that were regulars often had to arm themselves. This means that pretty much anything correct to the period (or earlier, as many weapons were hand-me-downs) will also be correct to a Confederate soldier or sailor. Remember that only about half of the Confederate Army even wore uniforms! I don't mean to sound over the top on the subject, but I fancy myself a student of the "War of Northern Aggression" and get rather enthusiastic on the subject.

:P

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

That was my worry deacon with so many ships and crews never touching the southern cost I cant imagine witch way to go it appears that one could do pretty much as they wished and be able to defend it but I'd like to get this into the plaussible not just possible range. I know that the Alabama was built and fitted out in europe. Is there any documantation on where they got their arms. I haven't found too much yet in my online search and our local library is so outclassed by even small town standardes for the moment the internet is the only place I can look. I'm also running into a wall in regards to my side arm but then thats another story :P

Interesting subject, Hitman. I wish I had more insight into it. To find the inventory of a particular raider could require some in-depth research. Are you going to be a seaman or an officer?

You might want to take a look around http://www.csnavy.org/ .

In particular: http://www.csnavy.org/weapons.htm

BTW, don't forget about Inter-Library Loan. Even though your library is small, they can probably order about any book you'd find in a big one.

Yeah it is becoming a real challenge because the options are pretty wide open. I'm thinking (with his eye towards his budget) I'll go with the legendary arms cutlass but I'll propably ditch the cabelas revolver as it was not origianally .44 caliber but .36. Ofcourse I could always claim the ten foot rule. As to officer or seaman I think I'll split the diffrence and go with a mate all though the truth is I'm a little young for that. Hey incase I haven't said it or even if I have thanks one and all for the help.

Quick edit Well a look at the link you provided has been quite helpful decaon apparently the standared caliber for the confederate navy was actually .44 diffrent than the union specs apparently the cabelas catolog didn't note the reason for thier change of caliber and my mistake was thus made. Unfortunatly the link also convinced me I need a LeMat. (anybody know of a bank that ill loan money for a gun :ph34r: )

Quick edit Well a look at the link you provided has been quite helpful decaon apparently the standared caliber for the confederate navy was actually .44 diffrent than the union specs apparently the cabelas catolog didn't note the reason for thier change of caliber and my mistake was thus made. Unfortunatly the link also convinced me I need a LeMat. (anybody know of a bank that ill loan money for a gun :D )

Not quite following you here, hitman. The link I posted shows a Colt Army .44 representing a bunch picked up by Rephael Semmes just prior to the outbreak of hostilities--some of which were used by the Confederate Navy.

So far as I can recall, Confederate versions of the Colt Navy were all .36 caliber.

For some reason, a number of reproductions of "Confederate" navies and even some billed as Colts come in .44 caliber. I have one given to me years ago. If you find an original "navy" in .44, I'd like to know about it.

Well Deacon in the second link there is the note that "The standard official caliber of the CSN was .44 for revolvers----not navy caliber of .36 as used by the north." Although they did not show a pic I think what they are trying to say is that for colt imitations made in the south for the csn the caliber was .44. As to .39 that was a typo on my part and I have corrected it. Do you think I missunderstood this note?

Well Deacon in the second link there is the note that "The standard official caliber of the CSN was .44 for revolvers----not navy caliber of .36 as used by the north." Although they did not show a pic I think what they are trying to say is that for colt imitations made in the south for the csn the caliber was .44. As to .39 that was a typo on my part and I have corrected it. Do you think I missunderstood this note?

I took this to mean that the CSN elected to go with .44 caliber revolvers such as those shown in the pictures on the page.

The south did produce copies of the Colt Navy, and bought others overseas, but these were all, SFAIK, .36 caliber.

The "Navy" was widely used by army officers on both sides as well as the Union (and British) Navy.

Just 'cause I like it, a pic from the gunroom of the HMS warrior:

pistols.jpg

HMS Warrior

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring such an old post up but if any of you were intrested I found one definitive source on the confederate privateers. Called (duh)

The Confederate Privateers by William Morrison Robinson Jr.. It's currently published by theUniversity of South carolinia orgiganilly published by Yale university press 1928. So far it seems some of the things we had assumed to date about the privateers were wrong. (When I say we I mean here on the board) Chief among them the assumtion that the privateers fitted out chiefly over seas, not so due to the neutrality laws england laid down forbidding the condeming of prizes in her waters thus makeing cruising far abroad too dangerous and unprofitable for these private men of war. Belive this book may lead to more discoveries if ya'll be intrested I think I'll start a new thread in Capt. Twill as I am drifting away from the primary purpose of plunder.....We shall see.

Sorry to bring such an old post up but if any of you were intrested I found one definitive source on the confederate privateers. Called (duh)

The Confederate Privateers by William Morrison Robinson Jr.. It's currently published by theUniversity of South carolinia orgiganilly published by Yale university press 1928. So far it seems some of the things we had assumed to date about the privateers were wrong. (When I say we I mean here on the board) Chief among them the assumtion that the privateers fitted out chiefly over seas, not so due to the neutrality laws england laid down forbidding the condeming of prizes in her waters thus makeing cruising far abroad too dangerous and unprofitable for these private men of war. Belive this book may lead to more discoveries if ya'll be intrested I think I'll start a new thread in Capt. Twill as I am drifting away from the primary purpose of plunder.....We shall see.

I'm not following you, hitman.

How does England "disallowing condemnation (presumably of prizes?) in her waters" negate the fitting out of privateers?

If the Confederacy preferred .44 revolvers, then go with a Colt Army. Don't pick a Navy simply because it's a navy. That just means it's .36 cal. Besides, the Navy frame and cylinder were not designed for a .44, and weakens the entire revolver. Why worry so much? Stick with a Colt if you're worried about authenticity. No one can say that's wrong. Another suggestion would be a Belgian, or English percission pistol. I wouldn't get a Lemat. The odds of you having one (as a common sailor) are slim, besides the fact that they were primarily a horseman's weapon, and were used by officers for the most part. Sure, they're cool, but if I was a sailor, I wouldn't want a bulky revolver with a huge holster on my side.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Oh, as as far as the cutlass, find something you like, as long as it was made in or before your time period. You can look at photos of known Confederate cutlasses, and never find two alike. They were not standardized! More than likely, a U.S. naval cutlass will be the most appropriate. True, the Confederacy manufactured some cutlasses, and those are the only ones you're going to find photos of, because it stands to reason that a Confederate used them. Like any Confederate sailor or soldier, you're going to use the easiest cutlass to aquire, which is the Federal (Union) cutlass. You don't see alot of photos of those identified as Confederate-used, because it would be hard to prove. I'm willing to bet that well over half the cutlasses used by Confederate sailors were captured Federal cutlasses. Remember, before the war, all sailors had the Federal cutlass. Why would they change their cutlass to a Confederate manufactured one? I've done alot of research on this, as I was propmaster for "The Hunley"," Ironclads", etc.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Actually, the lot of Confederate equipment closely patterned 1850s French equipment as thats what we could get ....

( I knows this, Mobile bein an old stompin ground)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered