Buttonholes

LadyBarbossa

I can generally get a good stitch down and made, have no troubles with the stitching.

However, I still have one major stitch issue... and that's stitching by hand a buttonhole.

The Buttonholes I stitch creates more of a gaping hole rather than a nice, close uniformed buttonhole similiar to making one via the sewing machine.

Tips on how to make a better buttonhole done by hand rather than some sad looking hole barely passing off as a buttonhole?

Anyone have any visuals/images of what it should look like?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Buttons1.jpg

Okay, I am not trying to make assumptions... So if I explain anything you already know, please do forgive...

One thing I orginally did wrong that might be causing you some grief, is cutting the slits before doing the stitching. You should always sew the buttonhole stitching completely before cutting the slit.

Another thing I do is draw line using fabric markers/fabric chalk or even a pencil if neither of those are available. I then sew around the line using the line as a guide to where I will cut and ensuring I sew just a hair away from the drawn line and not on the line so when I ccut the line for the slit I won't cut the stitching.

Hope this helps.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mr.Bagley is VERY correct in saying not to slash the holes first. My first few weskits look messy because i did just that. Another important thing is to make absolutely sure that your going each stitch the same length. I go a little farthere and not only draw ths slit, but the outline for the stitching as well. If all else fails you could whip-stitch the edges of your buttonholes to close them up some. best of luck!

Edited by Mr.Tignor

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Ah-ha. Then that be m' troubles there. Damnable. I cut before sewing. Would make sense now.

I kept seein' some images of buttonholes cut and sewn.

Thank ye, Michael. :) Shall endeavour to try this on m' next project.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!