Surgeon's Journal '08

Mission

Ah, parting at events is so melancholy. Everyone hugging and wishing safe travel and so forth. When I finally got to the fort, many of the encampments were broken down or in the process of being so. Some statistics for the record. I counted 28 or 29 period tents in the site, which does not include flies. Stynky called me to let me know that we consumed 6 bottles of mead last night. Then he called me back to let me know he had miscounted and we had consumed 7 bottles. (Ya' havta' get these things right.)

Seeing people in the fort always reminds me of stories I wanted to tell but forget.

For example, at some point during the week I got chatting with Greg and learned that most vendors have a superstitious side when it comes to events. Greg told me he refused to count the take until he has officially left the event lest he jinx it. (He cheats, though. He keeps a journal of each sale and can get a feel for an event based on how many pages are filled in the journal. He told me of another vendor who had a garment with a pocket where she put all the money. Eventually the pocket disintegrated causing her to worry that she would go out of business. I understand that it can be a fine line between a profitable and unprofitable event.

I noticed my bonesaw was missing, so I went right to Stynky and asked him where it was. He tried to play innocent again, but he can't quite pull it off. Apparently he snuck into Deadeye's makeshift ashram when we discussing life, the universe, and everything and took it. (He also told me that I said something like "This is really good stuff...I hope I remember it for the Surgeon's Journal. Which I didn't. (Heck, I didn't remember saying that.)) So Stynky finally fessed up and gave it back. I should have let him transport that monster home. Then he could have mailed it to me and I wouldn't have had to deal with it.

Stynky convinced Josh Merriwether to sell someone else's bottle of lotion for $5. Josh went around the camp asking everyone if they wanted to buy a bottle of SPF 50 for $5. Stynky said Josh needed to work on his approach from what he could tell, but Josh ended up selling it for $6.

Jessie kindly agreed to drive me to Miami airport tomorrow since it was on her way home. She is currently camped out on the couch reading a book. Jessie has a black Toyota FJ Cruiser with black rims, luggage rack and whatnot that looks like it would be used in paramilitary operations. It is bad ass. She named it Sarge after a friend of hers who has served two stints in Iraq. She says she can clean it out with hose. She bought it after a Hurricane overturned several Banyan trees in her neighborhood and assures me she has tried its off-road capabilities out.

Animal told me that he and Patrick are thinking about getting together with William and Doug and anyone interested to do a Buccaneer encampment. Since it is an earlier encampment, they will wear period appropriate garb and have meat cooking all day long. William talked about bringing in a live cow to slaughter for the fire. Harry apparently has given the nod to this project. I wonder if he knows about the cow?

As always, PiP was fantastic - it's the most enjoyable event I attend and I always wonder if I should come back here next year and by the end of it, I always want to. The Bone Island crew did a fantastic job organizing things and the event is bigger than better than last year. It's hard to finish one of these. The stories and interest points pop up at the most curious times and I wish I had my laptop and crappy internet connection handy so I could capture the moment. But, like the event, end it must. Hope everyone enjoyed my scribbling. If you really enjoyed it, think seriously about attending next year. You'll never meet a more accepting, interesting group than here. Plus, as Silas explained as he planned to hang out for one last night, you just can't beat the view.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I logged on to see if you'd added my name to the all girl cannon crew ... truthfully I hadn't read any of your log. I had decided I would save it for last, like the cherry on the banana split of pyracy.

So, after my first real really long hot shower and after 4 days of 4 am nights, and missing you all TERRIBLY already, I find tonight was much like every night at PIP, I can hardly keep my eyes open, but I read it through in an exhausted stupor... I don't want it to end. :D

Sorry I missed the pass the hat game, would have been happy with either of your hats.. oh wait a minute... I think I had Stynky's hat on at Silkies, and he had yours... wow almost forgot that.... not sure if thats the 4 am's or the mead.

Really enjoyed this Mission.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

After that things get a bit fuzzy...

Aye, they did luv. Instead of being your more 'shy' self I think this is the time period where you kept telling me how I was the nicest person in the world, stepped on my wrapped up foot a time or two and were nice and huggy.

Heck, if you were that way sooner in the week you may not have had to work so hard to find your poster :) I would have walked you right over to it!

Thanks so much for your journal. Even though I was there, I couldn't do everything and have enjoyed reading about the places and things I missed!

D

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

"Animal told me that he and Patrick are thinking about getting together with William and Doug and anyone interested to do a Buccaneer encampment. Since it is an earlier encampment, they will wear period appropriate garb and have meat cooking all day long. William talked about bringing in a live cow to slaughter for the fire. Harry apparently has given the nod to this project. I wonder if he knows about the cow?"

Oi, mission!!!!! The cow was supposed to be a surprise for Harry, kinda like a "We're back!!!" kinda thing. Harry said he would look at our proposal but didn't see much of a problem with it. Thanks for all your fine work and it was good to finally meet you as well as all the other fine folks from this board. Hard,fast friendships were made that will last a long time.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Remind me to pull the illustrations I have of how it was done. And remember, the Catt & Fiddle is set ordinarily at the height of the buccaneer age so we can make lots of rum punch. Did I say rum punch?

-- Hurricane

"Animal told me that he and Patrick are thinking about getting together with William and Doug and anyone interested to do a Buccaneer encampment. Since it is an earlier encampment, they will wear period appropriate garb and have meat cooking all day long. William talked about bringing in a live cow to slaughter for the fire. Harry apparently has given the nod to this project. I wonder if he knows about the cow?"

Oi, mission!!!!! The cow was supposed to be a surprise for Harry, kinda like a "We're back!!!" kinda thing. Harry said he would look at our proposal but didn't see much of a problem with it. Thanks for all your fine work and it was good to finally meet you as well as all the other fine folks from this board. Hard,fast friendships were made that will last a long time.

Animal

:D

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Remind me to pull the illustrations I have of how it was done. And remember, the Catt & Fiddle is set ordinarily at the height of the buccaneer age so we can make lots of rum punch. Did I say rum punch?

-- Hurricane

Animal

:D

I thought that was Pum Runch???? Or was that after a few too many

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

ok...great job mission...but a few minor corrections.....

National Walk the Plank Competion:

i plead guilty..then pulled out my pardons....from the Emperor of Canaidia,...Pope of Japan...Queen Latifa of America....King Raul of England...Viceroy of Antartica...Elvis the King....Mickeal Jackson the King of Pop....and lastly my uncle Vinney of Detroit....

not taking any of those pardons...i to pulled me treasure map....and told them to write down my last words for my tombstone....the final words of Methusala Aluitious d'Dogge....the final epitapht of the M.A.d'Dogge...my final words are.....(the map flys outta me hand and into the drynk)...."oh crap!!!".....as i go diving for it!!!!

and as far as climbing that dang blasted fence twice...first time i was thought tthe combo was 1868...instesad of 1862.....the second time i remembered from last year that they changed the combo every night....so i asked my fellow brethern and my crewe before i headed out to fullfill my obligations to walk in the parade....some yelled out 23...4.....200046.......but then my captain...captain sterling....looking me straight in the eye....says ....1423.....which i rember at 3 am when i come back.....liars all ya.....the combo had not changed....it was still 1862...though i still thought it was 1868.....

so....twice...at 'bout 3 am.....on rolling sea legs (couldnt find me land leggs)....whith a half full mug o'ale....me loyalist square toed high heeled shoes....brand new silk hosen....a pipe in me mouth...made it over the 12 chain link fence...with barbed wire top.....

and made it witout spilling a drop of ale.....(tore me hose...lost 1 of my shoes...ripped my coat...lost my 13th button on my britches)...but i did not spill a drop!!!

damn.... i felt like a pyrate!!!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

ROTDLMAO!!!!!

Did anyone get ANY video of MA d'Dogge doing ANY of this!?!?!??

LMAO! Oh, I love that walk the plank bit, Dogge. That's hilarious!

Glad ye all had a wonderful time. Looking forward to the pictures from the event.

Oh, and sorry guys.... for those of ye returning to the north to cold temps and better yet... a snow storm! :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

See, I told yah you could write well! I missed not saying goodbye to yah Mission. It was great seeing you again, and I hope you'll be back down here for PiP next year, if not sooner. And indeed, the salmagundi was a spectacular success; kudos to everyone who was involved. The vinigarette dressing Constance whipped up to drizzle over the layered concoction was very yummy. I have a few pics of us working on the meal and will post them over the next couple of days (if not here, via my flickr or new snapfish account).

To add, you were correct on the gal's (Delena's) name that you mentioned early on in your posts. She was a delight to meet and fun to talk to, and I hope she's back next year too. As for the "naked juice", I heard that had an effect on the gents as well (referring to another event hosted by Searles Buccs, and chucking of clothes). That story was brought to you by Wicked William and his nefarious manservant, Douglas Pummell (aka Manny Names). :lol::lol:

Edited by Cpt Sophia M Eisley

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

ok...great job mission...but a few minor corrections.....

National Walk the Plank Competion:

i plead guilty..then pulled out my pardons....from the Emperor of Canaidia,...Pope of Japan...Queen Latifa of America....King Raul of England...Viceroy of Antartica...Elvis the King....Mickeal Jackson the King of Pop....and lastly my uncle Vinney of Detroit....

not taking any of those pardons...i to pulled me treasure map....and told them to write down my last words for my tombstone....the final words of Methusala Aluitious d'Dogge....the final epitapht of the M.A.d'Dogge...my final words are.....(the map flys outta me hand and into the drynk)...."oh crap!!!".....as i go diving for it!!!!

Be careful, I am aiming for the win next year :lol:

Sheila forever!

Green, it's not a color, it'a obsession!!!

The rum in me flask was Ron Atlantico Private Cask. Alas, I could only find one bottle before PiP, but I shall try to gather up more'n one before next time so people can have more'n a sip! I tried to make it last through Friday and Saturday, but by Saturday eve I just left the bottle on the table and it wasn't long before it was long gone, ALAS & ALACK.

and as far as climbing that dang blasted fence twice...first time i was thought tthe combo was 1868...instesad of 1862.....the second time i remembered from last year that they changed the combo every night....so i asked my fellow brethern and my crewe before i headed out to fullfill my obligations to walk in the parade....some yelled out 23...4.....200046.......but then my captain...captain sterling....looking me straight in the eye....says ....1423.....which i rember at 3 am when i come back.....liars all

And ye still casn't get it right... I SAID 1723! and now please pm Harry for publishing the actual combo on the internet...now he has to go change it... maybe you can suggest a number ye just MIGHT remember next year...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Aye, they did luv. Instead of being your more 'shy' self I think this is the time period where you kept telling me how I was the nicest person in the world, stepped on my wrapped up foot a time or two and were nice and huggy.

Huh. I don't remember that. And the word isn't 'shy', it's 'reserved.' (Shy suggests someone who is afraid to me.) :o

I do wish I could recall what Deadeye was talking about which happened after I left the pub when I realized Stynky was not going to stop filling my mug until you guys had to drag me out by my heels.

"You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... a cow... on the roof of a period correct tent, ha. And, oh, so many startlements."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thank you, Mission dear, for your wonderful work ~ as well as my hearing being suspect, and my eyes requiring adjustment, my mind is also taking its leave of me ~ I value this written account more than you know! I shall upload the photos to Photobucket, and send you the link.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Thank you, Mission dear, for your wonderful work ~ as well as my hearing being suspect, and my eyes requiring adjustment, my mind is also taking its leave of me ~ I value this written account more than you know! I shall upload the photos to Photobucket, and send you the link.

You should hold the last series of photos for ransom. I am very curious to see some of them... (Mary loaned me her camera carte blanche on the night Stynky tried to drown us all in mead. There's something about switching hats on there...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

You should hold the last series of photos for ransom. I am very curious to see some of them... (Mary loaned me her camera carte blanche on the night Stynky tried to drown us all in mead. There's something about switching hats on there...)

Oh my stars and garters....the mead....the hat merry-go-round...THE MEAD! ("No, really, it's ALREADY FULL, STYNKY!!") Although, I do believe there has already been a photo put up in a certain blonde's photo bucket of Madd d'Dogge in a lovely bonnet...

("I swear by my pretty floral bonnet...I will end you")

Mission, thank you again for this wonderufl account. You are a prince among pyrates, and an extremely cool and interesting guy to hang out with!

Aw, gee...

Patrick's the Prince...I'm just the impressed surgeon...

The trip home was splendid. I did write the last chapter to the Journal I mentioned to you yesterday, but since I wrote it mostly for myself, I'm selfishly going to keep it out of print.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Nope, sorry, doesn't work that way ~ you mentioned it, now you must show it. ;):D

I must agree with Ms. Mary on this Mission, you shouldn't tease us so. To share all those wonderful stories then leave out the last, mead soaked, hat swapping, cow on the tent night well... its unfair to say the least.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Sorry guys, but no dice. I should'na brought it up. (It's completely different in nearly every way possible from the journal. You'd find it most confusing. It's sort of a memory place marker for my doddering years.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sorry guys, but no dice. I should'na brought it up. (It's completely different in nearly every way possible from the journal. You'd find it most confusing. It's sort of a memory place marker for my doddering years.)

Exactly, no time like the present...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

It's sort of a memory place marker for my doddering years.)

Did you know research shows that we actually modify every memory we have when we recall it? Your memory works so that it just stores certain high points. When you recall things, you fill in the missing spots based on what is happening or has happened within the last day. It has been repeatedly shown that these filled-in parts are completely indiscernible from what actually happened to the person recalling the memory. And we all know that it's this kind of filling in that leads to all kinds of disasters like female dinosaurs switching sex and breeding.

Memory finds a way.

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's sort of a memory place marker for my doddering years.)

Did you know research shows that we actually modify every memory we have when we recall it? Your memory works so that it just stores certain high points. When you recall things, you fill in the missing spots based on what is happening or has happened within the last day. It has been repeatedly shown that these filled-in parts are completely indiscernible from what actually happened to the person recalling the memory. And we all know that it's this kind of filling in that leads to all kinds of disasters like female dinosaurs switching sex and breeding.

Memory finds a way.

So, this explains why, in my husbands memory, it's always me who moved some thing that he can't currently locate.

He's aware he's lost it, and recalls my having moved things, a high point, being that he doesn't have to clean up the clutter himself..... 2+2 = her fault ....as for female dinosaurs switching sex and breeding well...enough said!

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce