skull and crossbones-or not skull and crossbones?

Gunpowder Gertie

Well- here be a "complimentary" thread to my other thread.

What's the thinking on wearing pirate symbols with your garb? From a Hollywood type standpoint, a fan standpoint? Or a reenactor/historical standpoint.

So- was there historical precedence for a pirate to wear a skull and crossbones ring or other jewelry. Was it choice for a flag only? Were symbols worn to indicate a piratical bent?

Part of me wonders, when looking for an accoutrement for my garb..if I should be wearing that skull and crossbones necklace..or ring..

so- what say ye?

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Here's my take on it: I group pyrates into three groups; Hollywood, Fantasy and Historical. I also would separate Hollywood into "Historical Feel" and Fantasy. Personal pyrate skull and bones insignia would only be appropriate for the Fantasy group. Example: Jack Sparrow is a Hollywood "feels like history" character. Some folks try to be the most accurate JS that they can, a worthy endeavor. Jack didn't wear the S&B. There are no known examples of historical pyrates wearing the S&B, and very few examples of them even flying one on a flag. So if you want historical accuracy or Hollywood "feels like" history, then the S&B is a no-go. Fantasy (including Hollywood Fantasy)? Go nuts. Satin shirt, day-glo feathers, the works. Big ol' S&B on yer hat? Why not?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jack Sparrow is a Hollywood "feels like history" character.

Wot!!!! Damn, ye mean I hav t' grow dreads?

Aye, Iron Bess said, my bucket boots made me look historical, or was that hysterical? Doesn't matter, if they're good enough fer Jack, they're good enough fer me.

Edited by Jacky Tar

Subtlety is the key.

Wearing skulls and crossbones by themselves is a fanciful adaptation of piracy, but not completely removed from history altogether. There are several personal artifacts from the period, such as watches ( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Ann...nscotswatch.jpg )and jewelry that bear the death motif. Skulls appear in art and architecture as an ongoing symbol of mortality, but not commonly on textiles or clothing items.

If done correctly, one can incorporate a skull or two on small personal items, but 'skulls and crossbones' worn on hats and in outrageous fashion will detour you from the historical road.

That said, if you like skull and crossbones and want to wear them. Wear them.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

So if you want historical accuracy or Hollywood "feels like" history, then the S&B is a no-go. Fantasy (including Hollywood Fantasy)? Go nuts. Satin shirt, day-glo feathers, the works. Big ol' S&B on yer hat? Why not?

:ph34r: You know, it's been a long time since I've seen satin shirts, and day-glow feathers, even at events like Nor Cal (SF Bay area) and Ojai (So. Calif). Not among the event's participants, anyway. (Mundanes are a whole different story!) I do see lots of SxBs, but for the most part they are done descreetly — on a pouch, or a belt, and as jewelry. Yeah, there are exceptions — like a big shiny brass SxBs cod piece!— but there always are. Reenactors who don't stay strictly within the PC code are not as flamboyant in their dress as most people seem to think.

If you like your SxBs jewelry, then wear it. Like William said, the death's head symbol has been around a long time — way before the GAoP.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

First off good day to you all, im a LONG time lurker...anytime you saw guest at the bottom....that was me lol. As for skull and crossbones i agree with the split between hollywoods sort of real, and pure fantasy. If your going for fantasy by all means have skulls coming out of your ears. For Hollywood and even more Period accurate endeavors, mabey a few to drive the point home if you really want to. Personally for accuracy iv always thought, these are wanted men, i dont think they'd wave a symbol of pyracy about on their person(whether they actually had the S&C or not). BUUUTT at the end of the day,you have to be happy. As an idea, have you ever thought of just making your own symbol like a family crest or a seal? You could at least put it on your personal items and maybe seal a letter or two. just an idea love, fair winds to your sails!

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I so LOVE th' Skull 'n Bones....but when putt'n together me own gear I avoid them like a plague! Why, because I do at least 'try' t' avoid th' fantasy angle o' pirates - BUT - as some may know, 'n have teased me about t' point of show'n their envy on their sleeves; I so wear a chicken foot - NAUGHT a fake one like Jack Sparra, I wears a Real one, naught only that I have another I do naught wear that was actually blessed by a Hoodoo Priestess fer me own personal protection (and as ye can see none o' them PC Nazis have killed me yet! :ph34r: ). I also do have a fancy fer charms, real charms, naught trinket types, I tend t' seek out charms with some history, th' older th' better:

Maori Hook: from one o' th' oldest known cultures who be known fer their graceful designs in jewelery. Th' hook bears th' curves o' th' ocean's waves 'n is said t' protect th' wearer o' such from her savage tendencies.

Shark Teeth: Love 'em I Do!! Probably naught worn by any pirates o' th' GAoP, but that only be for I was naught born then 'n that be truer then oak indeed! Love t' eat 'em, love t' wear 'em!

Fairy Cross Stone: it gots a history too, born from th' tears o' fairies them selves when th' word o' th' death o' Christ reach'd their ears. Now with so many English pirates be'n called "Christens" even by th' PC group here, who would say that if an English pirate back in the GAoP knew o' these little gems then they would naught carry one themselves??

now, as fer th' Skull 'n Bones; I do wear a skull carve'd out o' bone, no cross however, also I wear it on a cord what hang from me belt (along with some other gems, shells, 'n me Fairy Cross Stone). Each one be a talisman o' mine.

now, can one say that 'Talisman' are PC for th' GAoP?? O' COURSE TALISMAN BE PC!! Why talisman date back much farther then probably even th' first ever pirate!! (actually ye does know that Adam 'n Eve where th' first every pirate now do ye naught....'er was that Moses??? blast it all lass, who had th' ship full o' pirate'd animals???)

Anyway, I doubt people o' th' 16th & 17th century really wore S&B as we know them today, but I be pretty sure that someone, out there somewhere, back then, did indeed have a similar ring, necklass, 'er other trinket upon their person...but probably naught some snob nosed pompous shoe lick'n Englishmen what 'called' he'm self a "PC Pirate".....but just probably, a real pirate may have.....ye figure there be many tens o' thousands o' pirates killed back in th' GAoP of whose possessions never were either recovered or perhaps just naught recorded....and as stated above, th' skull was a muchly used symbol since much before th' GAoP and STILL is today....so do naught let them PC'ers tell ye that "absolutely NO pirate from the GAoP EVER wore nor even carried a skull symbol on their person"....for all logic o' history 'n artifact would prove them wrong - someone out there did, but they were probably th' much more better pirate 'n did naught get caught with it - HA!!!

but also keep in mind that t' wear such a clue t' yer identity in view is t' risk be'n caught as a pirate - so be prepared t' defend yer self, FIGHT T' REMAIN FREE, FIGHT T' KILL!!! ('n run'n pretty fast can help too....)

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Memento mori.

Ah yeas- I had forgotten about memento Mori-I was looking up some unrelated subjects, and happened upon old gravestones..which I thought were Pirate Gravestones, until i realized that the skull and crossed bones were another symbol for death. The Victorians were fascinated by death, giving rise to the Spiritualists movement. But prior to that, there was the whole, "live for the day, for tomorrow we die" philosophy. It was common for people to have a lock of hair from a dead person in a necklace, and many portraits in the 18th century were painted with a skull being an essential part of the composition. So, it is entirely possible that people wore a death's head, not as a symbol of piracy but of a symbol of mortality.

Ergo:

I shall certainly be buying that skull ring...now :rolleyes:

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I have heard it said that sailors o' th' time were a very superstitious lot, so now depend'n on yer character's origin, religion, upbring'n, as well as company kept (o'course th' majority round these parts view pirates as all Christen English gents...but none have been able t' explain Blackbeard). However it does seem that pirates did naught tend t' wear their talismans as medals, few of any culture really did, usually just somethin' kept discretely upon their person, even perhaps just a stone in their pocket.

But with superstitions such as th' followin'n I would be sure there be some seamen, pirates as well (oh, 'n seawomen) that did carry somethin' out right t' ward off evil (perhaps like Tom Sawyer 'n Huck Fin swing'n a dead cat over their head t' ward off girl kooties!):

Whistling on board ship was considered unlucky as you might whistle up a storm. If a contrary wind blows stop your sewing to avoid putting a stitch in the wind that might prevent it turning favorable.

Sailors pierced their ears to improve their eyesight. A gold earring was both a charm against drowning and the price paid to Davy Jones to enter the next world if a sailor died at sea.

A silver coin is placed under the main mast as a ship is built to ensure successful voyages. A few strands of a loved ones hair knitted into a sailor's sock is a charm to bring him safely home.

Cats carry lightning in their tails and can call the wind by sneezing. Anger the ship's cat and it may call a gale.

A ring around the moon warns of a storm, the number of stars in the ring shows how soon it will hit. To dream of wild horses also means bad weather is on the way.

Never use sea stones as ballast; the ocean may wreck your ship to take them back again. For the same reason it is unwise to wear clothes colored by dyes made from sea plants.

Seamen should not eat garlic or onions lest their breath demagnetize the ship's compass, but if this happens a star carved on the bowsprit should guide your ship safely home.

.....and the few items I do have, don't get worn very often and I keep it very subtle.

com'n from she with th' herd o' psychedelic caffeine junkie dance'n banana groupies what follow her around th' forums.

:D

...ye should see them in true life!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I do skull and crossbones mostly in my mundane attire and jewelry and home decor. But I hardly ever wear one on my garb. If I do its very subtle a pin or something. Now a black rose well I do wear at least one thing on my garb.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

Wear wot ye can steal , pillage, or Plunder! Yarrr!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Wear wot ye can steal , pillage, or Plunder! Yarrr!

AYE! That be th' code...'n we all must Keep t' Th' Code!!!

Oderlesseye, got me new breeches, naught fall front this time....take a look at me cuff buttons tomorrow night - one e'en be Gold!