Holystones

JohnnyTarr

It is highly unlikely that you will find a "holystone" dealer in the Yellow Pages. Holystones were simply slabs of sandstone of various sizes. You can find suppliers of sandstone, usually under the garden or construction categories. Sandstone is used for walls, foundations and garden pavers and can be had in a variety of dimensioned sizes. A quick and by no means exhaustive search of the 'net turned up this one: http://www.granite-sandstone.com/sandstone-raw-blocks.html

I hope this helps.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

all it is, is sandstone? I thought that it might be a specific type. "Holystone is a soft and brittle sandstone that was formerly used for scouring and whitening the wooden decks of ships." This I got from Wikipedia and what started me on this idea of a specific type.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

That's it, mate. There may have been preferences in jolly olde England for the stones provided by certain quarries and this may be in the record somewhere, but for the most part it's just basic sandstone, of the softer varieties I would imagine.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Aye. I've heard that limestone was used as well. it was easier to get and cheaper than sandstone.

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 3 weeks later...