New Blunderbuss, question about sling.

MorganTyre

I recently picked up one of the doglock blunderbusses from Middlesex and absolutely love it. I will post in-action shots of it here sometime soon. What I'm wondering is if anyone has a good reccomendation on slinging it. I don't want to attach hardware to it directly and I certainly dont want any sort of holster. I'm looking for a method that would be both period and practical. To give a scenario for use think in terms of a large weapon kept close at hand but I'm wanting both hands free as I unload smuggled goods from a jollyboat on the beach. Any suggestions?

Ropework_Header.jpg

i have the same one....one of my favorites...now everytime i needs to sling it....i simply tether it....cloth...extra bit o' leather...i have a woven "tape" that i tie 'round the barrel end...and one round the stock...just enough to keep it outta the way...i dont think i would permantly attach any hardware to it tho...but thats just me prefferences....

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I have been toying with adding a carbine ring to mine on the plate side of the weapon for the same reason. Right now I just have a braided leather sling with a loop in one end,(This goes on in front of the comb of the stock), and then I tied some leather around the barrel and thimble, fastening the other end of the sling to that. Has worked very well for several years, although I did it originally "in a pinch" and it was supposed to be "temporary," I think now it fits into the "if it works don't fix it" category. I do have a set of swivels from Track of the Wolf I had intended using for this, but decided not to. I still think about a combination belt-hook/carbine ring to replace the lockplate with though. Mine is just an old CVA kit from the 1970's I rewoked. It weighs about half what yours does.

From this;

blunderbuss1.jpg

to this;

blunderbuss2.jpg

And still working on it.

Bo