White Trimmed pirate hat.

Hawk the QM

Is this design historical or just "fashionable"? We all have pet peeves in life and this is by far my biggest. I think I hate them more then I do the Spanish (if that were possible).

So before I go on a huge rant to pirates with these styles I would like to get some info about them. Can a pirate actually have anything that is white? At some point it would just be yellow and stained so why actually wear white to just have it change to a pee color?

Yaaaar!

I don't know about pirates, but I have found plenty of evidence for soldiers of the period wearing lace trimmed hats. Now the lace I recently trimmed my hat in isn't chalk white, but more of an off white cream colour, because I am not a big fan of chalk white for anything period and prefer to use off white for anything like that...

But taking this discussion a bit further, I think if you do a search on hats in Twill, you will find that there seems to be more evidence of sailors and by extension pirates, of wearing wool knit hats than cocked hats (tricorns)... So really your mileage may vary since this is "The Thieves Market" and the focus here isn't always on authenticity....

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Well the soldier having one would make perfect sense. Now if i see a pirate that doesnt say he got it from a dead soldier.. then I'm makin fun of him =)

it's what i do.

edit:

present company excluded of course.

Edited by Thequartermaster