In an 18th C. London Market

Mission

I was reading a description of a dry good store in the late 19th C. this morning and it occurred to me to wonder what I might buy if I were transported there somehow. Then I started wondering about a early 18th C. London market. So, expanding on the premise a bit, I settled on the absurd quantum method Crichton (God rest 'im) came up with in Timeline for transporting people through time. So, by kitbashing these concepts I came up with a thread idea...

Some conditions for those playing along:

1. You can only stay for a day. (No, you can't stay there forever. Sorry about that.)

2. You can only bring what you can carry with you and get out only what you can (reasonably) carry back. (No wagons or 'barrows or magical bags of holding. What you can reasonably carry.)

3. Crichton's time travel rules prohibit carrying modern technology in because of the paradox. (So no cameras. <_< )

4. You will be given enough period money to purchase whatever you decide to get - we'll not quibble over the value of period money in today's terms and other such factors - it is a thought experiment after all.

5. You'll be given a babbelfish to comprehend 18th C. London dialect. (Oh, wait, that's another passed author's idea, isn't it?) Communication on your part will be your problem. :blink:

So the question, given the above conditions:

If you could travel back to a early 18th Century London marketplace, what would you purchase?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Two pieces of paper. A large-denomination member's (backer's) certificate from Edward Lloyd (and some coffee while I'm at it) with instructions to deposit my dividends in an account at Hoares Bank, the certificate for which is the other piece of paper. After that a bit of shopping for a fashionable suit of clothes perhaps from Ede and Ravencroft in Gracechurch Street, a hat from Jas. Lock in James Street, a good smallsword and a brace of pistols from leading makers of the time. A few books, a copy of the London Gazette, stop in for an ale and sup at the Red Lion. Then a night at the Theatre. Period material goods, a secure financial future and good memories of my time in Olde London.

Speaking of memories, could I take a friend? Someone who is a good sketch artist? Who needs a camera, anyway.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Wow. You've really thought about this, haven't you?

Speaking of memories, could I take a friend?

Read the book and find out. :blink: (It's a pretty good book. They also made a terrible movie from it, which I would avoid.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Clothes for a night at the theater, and another set I could wear about town, this I would do as soon as I arrived to better blend in. Jewelry of course cause all of this you can wear and stuff in your purse. *grins* Books and perhaps a few weapons as I could also carry those back. then the rest of the money would open a savings account for my current self and would be left by a long lost relative. I also might buy land or a manor while there and place the deed in the bank for safe keeping...who knows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I would buy up first editions of every worthwhile book I could get my hands on and a timepiece from the period. Then I'd buy some paper and a good writing instrument and sit by the docks and record every bit of information I could glean until the sun went down. I don't need a camera. I can draw.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

For myself, I think I would go buy my bonesaw, a toothkey and any other surgical instruments that might catch my eye. I'd try to get a copy of The Surgeon's Mate although that would be mostly for reasons of vanity as I already have a perfectly serviceable reprint. Since it'd be about 50 years out of print at that point and not (as far as I know) publicly available, my heart wouldn't be broken if I couldn't get one. What I'd really want to get, or at least see, is a proper sea surgeon's chest. Then I'd sketch it and write down its contents because there is no accurate depiction of one available today. (When I got back, I'd never be able to prove mine was accurate, of course. But at least I'd know.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I would be press gangin' a group 'o perfessional musicians ta visit all the public houses and record ta parchment everything they hears. Have them document all the missing pieces of how the music and lyrics intertwined.

There be a movie wheres Neil Diamond is call ta the west coast to help a rocker interpet Diamond's song "Love on the Rocks". The difference between Diamond's version and the rockers version is, ta say the least, w i d e. 300 years of interpetation an drift lies between us an the actual music 'o the age.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

(Ready-made clothes off the rack, didn't exist back then)

I think I'd be inclined to go to the market for food.

Well what if a Lady ordered gowns and did not care for them after they were made, or had fallen ill or any number of things..then they would just need to be refitted...It's sales shoppes for Kate and I..*Grins*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I think I might have to go shopping with the ladies! :lol:

To me one of the missing links is clothes for our period and common clothes are even harder to find.

So I would be all about the second hand shoppes. Of Capt'n Jim makes a nice suggestion about securing ones financial future which

I would have to work on also.

Of course finishing the day off with William watching the docks and observing would a great finish.

Edited by Amanjiria

I think I might have to go shopping with the ladies! :lol:

To me one of the missing links is clothes for our period and common clothes are even harder to find.

So I would be all about the second hand shoppes. Of Capt'n Jim makes a nice suggestion about securing ones financial future which

Of course finishing the day off with William watching the docks and observing would a great finish.

The girls need to come too....they are way to fun to get pretty with!

Banner.jpg

Fine things...small pretty jeweled hairpins, some bits with lace, as William said a fine writing instrument and I would be very curious to sample some perfumes..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Heck... I'd just hit the nearest and most interesting tavern and chug down a few..... A suit of clothing would be cool..... or some interesting books,,,, fantastic antiques.... but nah.... the experience of just listing to people and being able to talk to them would be more than enough......

Oh, dear God, ye played a hard game here Mission!

One day only... with only what you can carry. Uhh...

Well, first off, fine clothes! And shoes to match.

Whatever else I purchase my break my back and arms carrying! Cause I'd want to grab as much stuff as possible from sewing and embroidery items to attire to various imported items and...

Uuugh, I best give up... abandon me back in that day and age!!!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I read about the re-selling of second (and third and fourth) hand common clothes in that book Hubbub: Filth, Noise, and Stench in England, 1600-1770 by Emily Cockayne. If she got it right, it sounds to me like you'll want to hold those clothes at arms length. You'll also be bringing some very small stowaways in those clothes... (It reminds me of Jurassic Park - what if insects from the 18th century are different than insects today? You could start an epidemic!)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm going with Jimmy! I can draw and he has the idea of how to secure my future.

I would sketch EVER thing I could and get some fabric samples. Crude skethes that I could spend hours improving upon once I got back.

Clothing would be nice. I think even if the clothes were bug infested It may be worth it just to have stays that are a proper fit.

The drawing, and notes on clothing, everything that is not "the norm" would be noted. What station in life wore what. I would go to the port to see what the sailors and merchants were bringing in. Make notes on the clothing of the privateers (if there were some to be found). Yes I know it would have to be on the river but since my interest is in the sailors and workers at the docks and the working class that would be a place to go. We have records of those with money but little of the masses. That is what I would make pages and pages of notes on. And yes secure the musicians to make records of the music of the common people.

I would also buy a sturdy lightly used bed warmer. One strong enough to bean a privateer or pirate or soldier or sailor with. lol

A saddle, bridle and complete tack (I'm a smuggler as much as privateer, so the interest in the land side of the business is just as much of interest.) A brace of pistols and a hunting fusil, along with flasks, bottles and turnscrews to match. Books, especially maps and charts. A good cocked hat of beaver fur. After shopping, dinner and a pint or two at the Cittie of York in High Holborn. People watching and listening would be as important as the shopping.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

For starters, the deed to a fine country manor house/estate—and the arrangements for upkeep/rents to be paid until I could take possession in the 21 century! (Don't know how I'd manage that, but I'd figure it out ahead of time)

Then books, some original works of art, and jewelry. Then I would join Patrick in the tavern and sketch away for awhile, soaking up the ambiance, then wander the streets, docks, etc, and draw until my fingers bled! I would also come back with some newly minted coins of the period.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog