Coffin

Edward O'Keeffe

To move a question to it's own thread:

Ack I'm going to die... Oi Haunting Lily any chance Mr. O'Keefe can drive down a full sized coffin?? about six feet in length...

Sorry Capt, but the coffin I have is best seen at night with proper lighting. Not to mention the fact that it has an air operated pop up skeleton with light up eyes inside. Not quite PC.

I know the schedule is really full for all involved but, what if we built a coffin in camp? I know we can get wide pine boards at H. Depot, Bone Island has said they have been making forged nails at the fort, and we should have enough folks with at least a passing interest in carpentry to pull together a simple toe pincher style pine box with rope handles. With the right tools could do a little demo on woodworking for the kids on Thurs. If it comes out OK we could just leave it at the Fort for future use.

Would anyone be interested in such a project? if so let me know I will bring my plans.

E O'K

i dont know if i could committ to such a venture...with all the other scheduled undertakings....with all the drynkin,eatin,sleepin,drynkin,wenchin,drynkin;shootin,drynkin,sleepin,drynkin...

..now build a coffin besides??

maybe....whose bringin the rhum??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I am just insulted that Dear Captain John thinks that my cooks will kill him! I may kill him just for the slight against the cooks!

Ah Lass, I am certain yer cooks are grand indeed, but even if the late Francois Vatel was to prepare it himself just fer me, the ingredients would still be the death of me...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well jus' stop in frum time-t-time to keep yerself hydrated good Captain.

Ack ye sound like the mistress, she has this thing about being wet all the time...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Do we have any info on the structure of period coffins? I suppose they were just boxes at sea...it's not like you'd have the time or desire to built something really fancy to feed the fish. I do have some info mentioning coffins and burial at sea, but nothing that explains the detail of them.

“[1672] And when he is dead, he is quickly buried, saving his friends and acquaintance that trouble to go to the church and have his passing bell rung, nor to be at the charges of making his grave and his coffin, or to bid his friends and acquaintance to his burial, or to buy wine or bread for them to drink or eat before they go to the church, and none of all this trouble, but when he is dead to sew him up in an old blanket or piece of old canvas, and tie to his feet two or three cannon bullets, and so to heave him overboard, wishing his poor soul at rest, not having a minister to read over his grave, nor any other ceremonies, but praying to God for the forgiveness of his sins, and there he hath a grave many times wide and big enough, being made meat for the fishes of the sea as well as for the worms on land.” (Barlow, p. 214)

“[1672] And he being dead, had a coffin made for him and was thrown overboard, his honor being washed away, and all his riches affording him no better grave than the wide ocean…” (Barlow, p. 223)

"[1697] The next morning we had a coffin made for him [Captain George Phenny], and about eleven in the forenoon we put him in, with some iron bullets and coals and what we had to sink him. After prayers for the dead were read we hove him into the sea, firing twenty guns as a funeral knell.” (Barlow, p. 477)

“[Dec 5, 1675] The last night our boatswain died very suddenly, and this afternoon I buried him in the Greeks’ churchyard. He was nobly buried, and like a soldier. He had a neat coffin, which was covered over with one of the King’s jacks, and his bo’sun’s whistle and chain laid on the top (to show his office) between two pistols crossed with a hanger drawn. At his going off the ship he had nine guns, which were fired at a minute’s distance. And eight trumpets sounding dolefully, whereof the four in the first rank began, and the next four answered; so that there was a continued doleful tone from the ship to the shore, and from thence to the grave. Half the ship’s company, with their muskets in the right posture, going after the corpse, with all the officers of all the ships that were there. I myself going immediately before, and the trumpets before me. The whole town came forth to see us. I buried him according to our Common Prayer Book. Abundance of Greeks were at the grave, showing a great deal of devotion; but the Turks stood from the grave and observed, but were not at all displeased, but (as we heard after) commended our way. When he was buried he had four peals of musket-shot. And as soon as we were out of the churchyard the trumpets sounded merry levitts all the way. His name was Richard Capps, of Deptford.” (Teonge, p. 97-8)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

From what I have been reading, and no, at this moment I do not have the documentation with me, but I will bring it to Pip...just ask, as I always travel with my binders....any way... burials at see for our time frame were still considered "ify" at best... supposedly for captains or higher ranking officers, if time permitted, they were brought to shore and given a proper burial to help guarantee a spot in Heaven, something that was still in question where burials at sea were concerned...

Besides, we aren't burying a crewe member... we be burying my wife...

Crewe of the Archangel

burials at see for our time frame were still considered "ify" at best... supposedly for captains or higher ranking officers, if time permitted, they were brought to shore and given a proper burial to help guarantee a spot in Heaven, something that was still in question where burials at sea were concerned...

Huh. I haven't come across that particularly, nor did I mean to bring it up as a point of dissension. However, I did cite a period example. Burials at sea seemed to have more to do with necessity than anything. If I remember it rightly, Dampier and Barlow both give examples of it. Someone (Dampier? Teonge? Rogers?) talks somewhat appreciatively about a location where the landsman provide the English privateer in question with a small, unused island to bury their dead during an illness on the ship, so there was clearly a desire for land burial. I think Teonge talks mentions being buried in holy ground as desirable as well. Whatever the case, I can see your point given the storyline. Perhaps the fort can use the coffin at their Halloween event next year.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Why does everyone think I am always arguing....just clarifying... sheesh... any way... should be bringing a coffin, spending this weekend putting one together.. if you guys want to build one for the fort as well, by all means have at it... unfortunately if the Archangel brings a coffin, we will not be leaving it behind due to the fact that we will continue to use it for living history demos as Pip is not our only event...no offense Harry and Ft. Zach.

Crewe of the Archangel

Why does everyone think I am always arguing....just clarifying... sheesh... any way... should be bringing a coffin, spending this weekend putting one together.. if you guys want to build one for the fort as well, by all means have at it... unfortunately if the Archangel brings a coffin, we will not be leaving it behind due to the fact that we will continue to use it for living history demos as Pip is not our only event...no offense Harry and Ft. Zach.

wot do ya mean ya "lost me hammock"..????...."...but not to worry, we have other sleepin arrangements for ye..."....?????? :(

startin to feel REALLY cloasterphobic....!?!?! :lol:

I don't think you are arguing Captain.

The original question was simple. Does anyone want to help build a bloody coffin?

Whether it stays at the Fort, taken apart so you can use it for other events or burn it for fire wood makes no difference to us.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

wot do ya mean ya "lost me hammock"..????...."...but not to worry, we have other sleepin arrangements for ye..."....?????? :(

startin to feel REALLY cloasterphobic....!?!?! :lol:

???And ye have been drinking what??? pray tell???

Crewe of the Archangel

I didn't think you were arguing either. I just didn't realize I had initially brought up a point that asked for further discussion. Your post suggested that something I said was '"ify" at best'. To me this suggests that I should show that I had seen evidence suggesting otherwise. Now doesn't it just? So I did thusly without rancor.

Mission_banner5.JPG

startin to feel REALLY cloasterphobic....!?!?! ;)

???And ye have been drinking what??? pray tell???

sorry.....musta been dat darn "green fairy" whisperin in me eer 'gain.... :lol: .....just be sure NOT ta make the coffin...M.A.d'Dogge size!!!!

Not everything needs to have a historical discussion. This isn't Captain Twill. It was a body question about building a coffin. Simple yes or no would do.

why not??? information and learning can and should come from anywhere!??!...from anyone!?!?

speacially the archangel crewe...where we are always tryin to better our impressions....even to the style of coffins....for the intention of having a coffin in the first place...is to educate the public on history.....

so...in my humble opinion(or not so humble)....any and all quick comments...that lead into discussions of history....are welcomed as well as warrented....as long as they stay amicable and not uppity

sorry.....musta been dat darn "green fairy" whisperin in me eer 'gain.... :o .....just be sure NOT ta make the coffin...M.A.d'Dogge size!!!!

No worries there... I could just see the snotties trying to carry ye around... :o but I am thinking large enough to store and cart the pillories around in as well...

Crewe of the Archangel

Yes. (But I'd PM Harry and ask him if he wants it before I committed to it if I were you guys.)

Everything around here benefits from an historical discussion. (Otherwise it's no fun.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

And I would like mine lined with red velvet and a big red velvet pillow *polishes her fangs and waits for unsuspecting sailors*

Oh Wait...wrong thread..... :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png