Mysterious 'dead water' effect caught on film

Story

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundam...ht-on-film.html

In 1893, Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen and his ship Fram were victims of a strange phenomenon as he sailed past the Nordenskiöld Archipelago, north of Siberia.

Nansen wrote afterwards: "Fram appeared to be held back, as if by some mysterious force, and she did not always answer the helm … We made loops in our course, turned sometimes right around, tried all sorts of antics to get clear of it, but to very little purpose."

Nansen called the effect "dead water", reporting that it slowed Fram to a quarter of her normal speed.

Research has already shown that dead water occurs when an area of water consists of two or more layers of water with different salinity, and hence density – for example, when fresh water from a melting glacier forms a relatively thin layer on top of denser seawater. Waves that form in the hidden layer can slow the boat with no visible trace.

Now French scientists recreating that scenario in a lab tank have revealed new detail of the phenomenon and even captured the effect on video. The work will help scientists to better understand dead water and the behaviour of stratified sea patches.

Dances for nickels.

• 2 weeks later...

More mysteries of the ocean - probably a 'rouge wave'... or CLOVERFIELD arriving.. or a Kraken awakening...

Dockworker Marcy Ingall saw a giant wave in the distance last Tuesday afternoon and stopped in her tracks. It was an hour before low tide in Maine's Boothbay Harbor, yet without warning, the muddy harbor floor suddenly filled with rushing, swirling water.

In 15 minutes, the water rose 12 feet, then receded. And then it happened again. It occurred three times, she said, each time ripping apart docks and splitting wooden pilings.

"It was bizarre," said Ingall, a lifelong resident of the area. "Everybody was like, 'Oh my God, is this the end?' " It was not the apocalypse, but it was a rare phenomenon, one that has baffled researchers. The National Weather Service said ocean levels rapidly rose in Boothbay, Southport, and Bristol in a matter of minutes around 3 p.m. on Oct. 28 to the surprise of ocean watchers. Exactly what caused the rogue waves remains unknown.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/art...t_maine_harbor/

Dances for nickels.

Thank you for sharing this information. This occurrence is very curious indeed. It gives one pause to think and remember that Mother Nature is still a force to be reckoned with.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

YaaaaR mate, sounds like an underwater earthquake. Unless I'm confused, a rogue wave would have caused the water to recede first as the wave built up in power. Off shore earthquakes are pretty common and cause the surrounding body of water to act in this way. Just an educated guess on my part though.

Although, the dead water research is rather interesting as well.

Many ancient civilizations have been lost due to rogue waves created from a tsunami. I find it fascinating in regards to archaeology especially when excavation finds ancient remains buried under the sea.

It tis interesting that this phenomenon occurred so close to home. I wonder if it twill happen again. But yes, the rogue wave was probably created from an earthquake on the ocean floor.

Edited by BlackSwanRogue

Like the Black Swan, I am Nocturnal, Ageless and Eternal.