L.O.R.E. Classes October 18 & 19

Graydog

LORE Classes this weekend:

L.O.R.E. Classes

(Though everything says LORE, please be aware that this is open to everybody that has an interest to attend, no membership required)

Corona, CALIFORNIA L.O.R.E. (Loyal Order of Reenactment Enthusiasts) provides a track of pirate workshops along side the renaissance classes for it's workshop weekend. No Quarter Given has put together a great line up of classes to help pirates and their associates improve their portrayals, maritime skills, and knowledge of pirate culture & history. Attentive students will surely have a better chance at winning the Pirate Jeopardy game Sunday afternoon (prizes available). The schedule for Pirate Classes for Oct. 2008:

----- SATURDAY -----

9:00 am Opening meeting

9:30 am Sailors Knots ..................................(Lindsey Philpot, Intl Guild of Knot Tyers)

10:45 am Games Pirates Played ...........................................................(Michael Lampe)

Noon - Lunch

1:15 pm History of Firearms: Matchlock to Flintlock ......(Steven "Greydog" Harness & Dave Nelson)

2:45 pm "Cutting Wit"-The Edged Weapons of Pirates .......(Bryan "Sage Lion" Dunn & Steve Mata)

----- SUNDAY -----

9:00 am Opening meeting

9:30 am Dialects & Method Actor for Pirates ..............(Karen "Piranha" Balentine)

10:45 am Women Head to Toe in the Age of Pyracy ............(Valerie Wright Blair)

Noon - Lunch

1:15 pm Men's Costuming for the Pirate Era ..............(Alex "Armand" Barrios)

2:45 pm Pirate Jeopardy ..........................................................(Christine Lampe)

On site camping on Fri. and Sat. nights available. Info: The Crossroads Group, P.O.B. 1959 , Corona, CA, 92878-1959, (951) 735-0101

(Note- this is a repost from the No Quarter Given website. Cost is listed as $25 for the full weekend.)

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Greydog -- thanks for posting this here. It was great today at LORE. All the sessions were excellent today. There will be more tomorrow.

We could have given Lindsey Philpott the whole day. He spent almost an hour just talking about ROPE (what kind of fibers were used, where the fibers come from, how rope was made by hand and later by mechanisms, how it is preserved and cared for, whether it is right-layed or left-layed, whether it is 3 strand, 4 strand, or 6 strand)-- and we were all hanging on every word.

Did you know that right-layed line was used on the starboard side, and left-layed line on the port side?

And I now know the difference between a marlinspike and a fid.

Then he started into actually showing us some knots.

Following Lindsey's presentation, Michael taught some games - they were betting hard and heavy in the Sweat Cloth game, Shut the Box, Shove Ha'penny, and Trente et Un.

After lunch, Dave Nelson laid out two tables full of firearms, from matchlocks, to wheelocks, to firelocks, to doglocks, flintlocks, snaphaunce, to percussion caps. Then he proceeded to explain and show their He had pistols, blunderbusses (blunderbi?), and muskets.

Next was Bryan Dunn giving an overview of the various sharp and pointy weapons pirates would have used, again filling up two folding tables with his several dozen blades, axes, and pole arms.

Looking forwards to tomorrow with more classes.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great slate of classes at L.O.R.E. on Oct. 18 and 19th, in Corona, California. For me, it was probably one of the most educational L.O.R.E. (Loyal Order of Reenactment Enthusiasts) weekends I've ever been to. And for a bonus, we had beautiful weather.

I didn't know there was so much to know just about rope! In Lindsey Philpot's Knot class, I was blown away learning there is right-layed rope and left-layed rope, and one type is used on one side of the ship, and vice versa. As much as I've hauled lines on tall ships, I never knew that. After learning how rope is made, and from what, and how to store it and preserve it, Lindsey taught us some basic knots, giving us mnemonic rhymes to remember how they are formed. 

After learning a few dicing and card games from Michael Lampe (and how to cheat at them), then Dave Nelson brought out his arsenal. With several dozen working firearms on demonstration, Dave really clarified in my mind the difference between all the major types of firelocks and how they function. Following his class, Bryan Dunn brought out HIS arsenal, laying out several dozen bladed weapons. Bryan demonstrated the various types of blades and explained how they evolved, how they were made and used, and the various advantages and disadvantages. 

Karen "Piranha" Balentine explained several facets to improving a pirate persona through method acting, by using dialects and accents (and how to obtain them), applying special effects make-up (I want to try rigid collodion), making everything you wear look filthy dirty (even though you wash it), and properly distressing your garb and props. Then costumer Valerie Blair showed us her CLEAN and beautiful garments, demonstrating how a woman of the period would dress, from inside to out, and from head to toe. Alex Barrios covered what men of the period would wear, as well as building on the information we got from Karen.

Then we played a rousing game of Jeopardy, using the information we had learned over the weekend. Congratulations to our winners Martin "Greydog" Blackwell, and Cantankerous Jan as our 1st and 2nd place winners respectively. A hearty thank you to all who taught, and to all who came.

----------------------

If you missed this L.O.R.E., the Spring L.O.R.E. is scheduled for Feb. 28-March 1. Mark yer log books and calendars.

Classes are open to all and you can mix and match classes from different tracks. On site camping on Fri. and Sat. nights available. Registration costs: $25 per person.

Info: The Crossroads Group, P.O.B. 1959 , Corona, CA, 92878-1959, (951) 735-0101

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven