Where's the beach?

Capt. Sterling

Does anyone know if the beach restoration project is complete?

-- Hurricane

There's ...no..beach?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Does anyone know if the beach restoration project is complete?

-- Hurricane

There's ...no..beach?

They knew we were coming so they sent it out to be cleaned :P LOL

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

I don't know the state of the beach at the fort, but Key West cannot maintain a natural beach because of the coral reef, the composition of the Keys (also coral) and some other factors that Blackjohn might be able to explain. So they're constantly bringing in sand to build up any Key West beach because the ocean gradually wears it away. It seems to me they were working on part of the beach in Fort Taylor when we were down there last year.

The bigger question in my mind is whether the fort will be open. They had a massive restoration and repair job scheduled for the buildings there this year. When I talked with the Bone Island folks in May, they were still unsure about the state of the fort for November.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Diosa and I will be down at the fort next weekend to see Harry and Spike. Will report back. I do know the Bone Islands are preparing the fort for the Halloween festivities there so it can't be too bad there.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I have an arrangement with the colony of Deep Ones that live offshore not to discuss the coastal morphology of the region.

Gee...coastal morphology. I had to look that one up.

It seems to me that the concern was something about scaffolding along the wall, hurricane. The last I heard of it was in May, so you probably know more than I.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sorry, this part of the "How to begin?" thread seemed to be going awfully far adrift, so I set it free. (Maybe Harry'll see it and chime in.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

That pesky Ike took a good portion of our beach away. All the sand we had brought in last year is now up in the picnic area. We just got permitted to "level" out the beach---the cliffing was pretty bad. That's been done. But don't look for any new sand in the near and probably far future. There's a group down here that's opposing the move to bring in more sand.

Now for the fort... the structure survived the last rash of storms. The barracks building has been under renovation since February. However, the contractor is gone for hurricane season and the talk is that they won't be back until January. So, we will have use the fort for our event. The construction fence will be moved back to open up the parade ground. I'm working on trying to get the Sally Port to hold the trial. It's covered and there's two jail cells in there where the women can be held.

The living history encampments will be out where they were last year. But, I'm tightening up on the space because we want the visitor to go thru the encampments. I have a site map made up which I will get posted when I get it off my work computer.

Otherwise the event and its planning is moving along very nicely.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I have an arrangement with the colony of Deep Ones that live offshore not to discuss the coastal morphology of the region.

Gee...coastal morphology. I had to look that one up.

It seems to me that the concern was something about scaffolding along the wall, hurricane. The last I heard of it was in May, so you probably know more than I.

One of the best classes I ever took in college. All about going to the beach... and trying to figure out how it works.

And as is obvious from the flow of the conversation, beach replenishment is a big deal. It costs lots, and frankly, many people (at least back then, and probably still today) say it doesn't work.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Having grown up in FL and seen coastal morphology in action and having read widely on the subject both for college and general self-education (I generally side with Orrin Pilkey), I can categorically state that beach renourishment does not work. Or that it does work. It depends on what the stated goal is. However one thing is constant and that is that renourishment is not permanent or, put another way, that beach renourishment is not an event (this beach has been renourished) but an ongoing maintenence project (this beach is being renourished.) Again, it depends on how one states the goal as to whether or not it is successful.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The living history encampments will be out where they were last year. But, I'm tightening up on the space because we want the visitor to go thru the encampments. I have a site map made up which I will get posted when I get it off my work computer.

How tight? As it was kind of hard to find space last year for tents (i.e. flat, not in a gully where the rain water collected or huge pieces of coral to sleep on...) Just curious

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

How tight? As it was kind of hard to find space last year for tents (i.e. flat, not in a gully where the rain water collected or huge pieces of coral to sleep on...) Just curious

I'm going to have spaces marked off for each encampment. Every effort will be made to make sure all will be on as flat of land as possible. I, too, want everyone to avoid the gullies in case of rain!

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I'm going to have spaces marked off for each encampment. Every effort will be made to make sure all will be on as flat of land as possible. I, too, want everyone to avoid the gullies in case of rain!

As always much obliged Harry for all ye do. Just curious as it might pay just to bring hammocks and forget some of the tents...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

We took a tour with Harry today of the grounds. Everything is well with the fort. The encampment area is being spruced up (you'll be farther out near the tip this time -- with an unbelievable view -- and the fence that surrounds the barracks area will be moved back a bit so almost all of the parade ground will be available to us. It's going to be a grand time, everyone.

If you haven't gone to PiP before, you need to set sail here in the next year or two. It's getting bigger and better every year.

Oh, and Charlie will be back, the rum swilling baby that captured all of our hearts.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com