Ghost Pirates

blackjohn

I've used glow in the dark make up in the past... it works pretty good... best idea is if you're using it like as a scene in a haunted house or some such, have a good bright light source in a light enclosure, or just a really good flashlight to 'recharge' the luminescence inbetween when you're doing yer shtick.

Or, find the make up that reacts to blacklights...

Look at the back of the make up package to see what they advise...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Are you going to be in a spot like in a haunted maze or will you be walking around in a party setting?

If you have a specific spot and you can get a black light, I would suggest the black light paint because of the color choices you can play around with. If it's just a party and you will be walking around, then the glow in the dark would work out better for you.

The glow in the dark would be neat if you painted an invisible skull on your face. When you walk around you would look normal but in the dark you would look eeeeevil. Or something to that affect I would imagine.

edit:

I say make up is the easier part, what about yer costuming? Any fancy ideas?

I love Halloween and I'm making a display this year Yaaaaaar! So I'm interested to hear what you're planing.

Edited by Thequartermaster

The event is an outdoor haunted walking tour of a replica historic house. We hang out on a darkened wharf on a lake, hiding in the rushes, and creep out to scare the touristas. First time I did it I when with white, but I thought I'd go for something different this time. I bought some grey, and was thinking of glow-in-the-dark because it seems much cooler. However... the glow might also give away our position!

<_<

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

The event is an outdoor haunted walking tour of a replica historic house. We hang out on a darkened wharf on a lake, hiding in the rushes, and creep out to scare the touristas. First time I did it I when with white, but I thought I'd go for something different this time. I bought some grey, and was thinking of glow-in-the-dark because it seems much cooler. However... the glow might also give away our position!

<_<

Then I would keep the gray you have and accent your face with the glow in the dark paint. Make scars or creases or paint up an eye patch. You can pick up a hand held LED UV light from about $15 to $20 bucks on the web or in some stores. Glow paint responds best to light heavy with UV like the sun or a black light. You can keep it in your pocket and hit yourself with it whenever you like, plus it's dark enough to never give away your position if used correctly.

Bonus to these lights is you can always check your friends beds for a good laugh. Hotels too =)

EDIT:

Just stay away from Halloween heavy stores. Party City is fine if they carry them because they are year round and rarely jack up the prices during the holiday. I suggest ordering online because those "stores" rarely have rent and can keep prices low. Anything like Halloween Adventure or Halloween Spirits charge way to much.

I also suggest the glow stick mouth piece. It's made like a mouth guard for sports but has a mini glow stick inside. They range in colors and are always cool when u yell Yaaaaaar!

Edited by Thequartermaster

There's only one possible way to do it with style:

redbeard.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you go that route, I recommend using less lip gloss. (It doesn't seem very piratey.)

I still think my idea is better. It's classic ghost pirate. And this is classic ghost monkey pirate:

Monk_Ref_hanging.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Or, find the make up that reacts to blacklights...

Actually, black lights work great on glow-in-the-dark makeup. They charge glow make-up in much less time that regular incandescent bulbs. That's why it's what we use in haunted houses to quickly re-charge the stuff - we usually put a light-switch in the room so it can be turned on between patrons or get one of those cheap little black lights with the switch already mounted on them. (Although those don't last very long in the rough-and-tumble world of HHs from my experience. The switches and wiring in them are really cheap.)

However... the glow might also give away our position!

:huh:

Oddly, the biggest problems we've found with glow make-up is that when it gets good and charged, you can't see if it's anywhere near your eyes because everything else is dark! The glare off your glowing face can blind you.

A classic glow setting trick is to get several glow-in-the-dark masks in a really dark setting and then stand very still. The patrons usually know one of the things is a person, but they rarely guess which one. (The longer you wait, the more nervous they get.) It works even better if you can put one of the masks on something that you can move a little because it makes people think the moving mask is the person. Another great take on it I saw was a group who made a room like that and packed it with 4 or 5 people in glow masks. The patrons thought only one of them was real (because that's how it usually works). Needless to say, this worked quite well; giving the haunt workers much joy as they counted the number of people who wet themselves. (Seriously. That's the gold standard of good room design for haunt workers. :lol: )

Mission_banner5.JPG