Yaaar, me boots!

Hawk the QM

Ahoy Mates,

I recently purchased a pair of pig skin boots. I'm not into the period shoes (I did civil war, and brogans can kiss my arse) so I went with the "cooler" looking foot wear.

Anyway, they feel and look like a football which makes me sad =(. When I walk around in them they make that pleather sound that irritates me to no end. They also keep creases because they are fresh and they just don't have the right look to me.

Is there a way I can weather them to not squeek and get become flexible. They are really comfortable on the inside but I would like a worn look on the outside.

Thank you for any advice you could give me.

Yaaaar!

post a pic ot 2 so we know what we're dealin with here....

for me fugawees...(shoes)...i gott em wet...really wet...like rain shower runin thru mud puddles wet....aged beutifully...and better fit now they dry to my feet...tho some people say ruined...i says perfect.....

also have a pair of boots...suede outtside...beeswaxed em...now water proofed...also ruined the nap and made the dye job molty...look hell of a lot better

now have a pair of shoes from Loyalists...dont paticarly care for the finish...not sure wot i'll do to these....yet

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

post a pic ot 2 so we know what we're dealin with here....

for me fugawees...(shoes)...i gott em wet...really wet...like rain shower runin thru mud puddles wet....aged beutifully...and better fit now they dry to my feet...tho some people say ruined...i says perfect.....

also have a pair of boots...suede outtside...beeswaxed em...now water proofed...also ruined the nap and made the dye job molty...look hell of a lot better

now have a pair of shoes from Loyalists...dont paticarly care for the finish...not sure wot i'll do to these....yet

pirate_maverick_brown.jpg

Sadly, I don't have a real picture but this is the picture I saw when I ordered. This picture makes it look like suede but in life they are smooth just like a football (American, not soccer) but without the bumps. In color they are also a tad more red then on this picture.

I was kind of hoping for an exposed leather style, but these boots are shiny and probably water resistant already. So I'm kinda stumped on what to do.

pirate_maverick_black.jpg

Here Is a slightly better picture I think that shows it's kind of shiny.

I'll get some real photos tonight, along with my new sword to post in the weapons thread.

Edited by Thequartermaster

Pure neatsfoot oil and applt it liberally, but not so the leather is saturated. I hate saddle squeak and this is what I do for the saddles and harness leather. The oil will also pick up some dust/dirt and it will look weathered in no time. after oiling I would also do what Mr. d'Dogge says to speed up the process. JMO, take it for what it's worth.

Bo

Pure neatsfoot oil and applt it liberally, but not so the leather is saturated. I hate saddle squeak and this is what I do for the saddles and harness leather. The oil will also pick up some dust/dirt and it will look weathered in no time. after oiling I would also do what Mr. d'Dogge says to speed up the process. JMO, take it for what it's worth.

Bo

Ah thank you for the advice. I will do just that but I have a couple questions. When I'm applying it, I assume with a cloth, do I work the leather by scrubbing hard or let the oil do the work for me? Assuming there's no instructions on the back, should I leave the oil on until a desired effect or an amount of time?

I'm going to start searching for where I can get this stuff at around my area.

I talk to a leather supply store near my home and they suggested Thick4. Are either of you familiar with it. The only reason they suggest it is because they only had Neatsfoot compound which they said would be really bad for pigskin leather. I explained I wanted to beat up the boots for pirate style but they still suggested this other stuff.

I don't even know if I heard them correctly. Thick4.. Thick Four... haha I don't know.

these are the really thin garment leather type???

hmmmmm....not sure what to do 'bout these then??....not sure if gittin em wet or the neetsfoot would git the effect you tryin to git???...baisically yar really just tryin to either to ruin the leather itself or to ruin the finish....but with these the leather may be too thin to hold up to the stresses???...do ya mind holes in em??? :P ...that would surely make em look worn...a few busted seems....a hole or two stitched up...yer toes stickin thru?!?!? :P

keep us posted how they turn out...kinda curious?!?!? :P

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

A full line sporting goods store may have 100% neatsfoot oil, but I don't know about that other stuff. Good for baseball gloves too. A good shoe store should also have it. As far as rubbing, not too severely but just a little friction will do. A cotton or linen cloth will be fine. Those compounds are not so bad for the leather as it is on the stitching. Some of that stuff will rot the threads from the stitching. Found out the hard way from using LEXOL for a long time. Not good and I no longer recommend it. Anyhow, a good dose of neatsfoot, a good romp in the woods and creeks, another dose of oil and you should see some results quick-like. Good luck!

Bo

l_1090864f7cec4bbf9a94ce6b7abae5d9.jpg

These are the boots. Rather on the thin side and I do worry about the leather itself basically falling apart Dogge. They were pretty cheap for boots so I only expect them to last a few seasons (but decent for $80).

Cpt. Bo after really thinking about it, it's not the flexibility i was thinking about but rather the shine. Anyway of dulling that out? That squeek I was talking about earlier is more like two sleeping bags rubbing together (about the best analogy I can come up with). It may possibly be a light water proofing I'm trying to get out, but not sure.

Edited by Thequartermaster

Aye, that does change things significantly. I'd say to go with Clay's idea of a deglazer in that case. The oil probably would not eliminate the shine without first removing any protective film used by the manufacturer, but it will darken the color some. But definitely stay away from the compunds. Best to ya!

Bo

Aye, that does change things significantly. I'd say to go with Clay's idea of a deglazer in that case. The oil probably would not eliminate the shine without first removing any protective film used by the manufacturer, but it will darken the color some. But definitely stay away from the compunds. Best to ya!

Bo

Yaaar thanks mates, I will do just that. The advice by all is much appreciated.

You can always take a wire brush and sandpaper to them to "roughen" them up. That's what they did for Indiana Jones' jacket in the original movie.

If the fit is snug (I think you mentioned that in your first post) you can use Spray Stretch on it. My feet are wide for a woman and before the stores carried wide-width shoes I used spray stretch on all my work shoes (back in the day when we wore heels and suits; thank God for casual business wear!). Any shoe store should sell it.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

You can always take a wire brush and sandpaper to them to "roughen" them up. That's what they did for Indiana Jones' jacket in the original movie.

If the fit is snug (I think you mentioned that in your first post) you can use Spray Stretch on it. My feet are wide for a woman and before the stores carried wide-width shoes I used spray stretch on all my work shoes (back in the day when we wore heels and suits; thank God for casual business wear!). Any shoe store should sell it.

Funny, I have the same boots [black, not brown]. Mine were not shiny, kind of dullish. They don't squeek or squeel either. In any case, once you start wearing them, dirt and such will dull them quick enough. At the end of my first faire, they were very dirty and looked great.

Funny, I have the same boots [black, not brown]. Mine were not shiny, kind of dullish. They don't squeek or squeel either. In any case, once you start wearing them, dirt and such will dull them quick enough. At the end of my first faire, they were very dirty and looked great.

Good to know mate. I appreciate the advice and maybe I'll just get em all dirty. The hard part is feeling slight embarrassment on that first event. Yaaaar I live in a condo so I have no dirty backyard. =(

I often wonder when read'n threads such as this where everyone say their clothes 'n gear naught "dirty enough"....What Kind O' Ship Ye Piglets Be Sail'n On?!!!?

I honestly do naught recall see'n too many ship upon th' ocean what has a deck o' dirt!? less't naught where I come from....Oil - aye; Greese - aye; Stains from wet lumber - aye....but 'Dirt' - Ye Slobs better wipe yer feet before board'n me ship, by thundar!!

Now Thequartermaster, here what ye do:

find yerself a nice rough ol' pine tree, get yerself a hammer 'n have at it a bit, make it bleed.

Now rub yer boots all over on it, get rough, make 'em squeal, get 'em excited, then make 'em howler fer ye t' stop!

Now let that set in fer a day 'er two, then get them wet 'n let them air-dry till they become a bit sticky, now rub it in....gentle at first, then get rough, don't be afear'd, they love it!!! Now let it just air dry then wear around th' condo, put th' rest o' yer gear on 'n chase th' whelps around th' block.

Now that ye got a good start, wet them again 'n hang them out in th' sun (leather HATES th' sun), then wet them down again, perhaps even go t' your local pet shop (that be were they sell between meal snacks at) 'n buy some sea salt like for salt water aquariums (it be cheap, just a small box), now ye can get them real Salty with Real Salt Water....this will surely knock off any finish!!! then ye may want t' visit that tree again as well (NO, naught fer you! Fer yer boots....bloody sick-o pirates!!!)

anyway, that be me take on it....

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

make 'em squeal, get 'em excited, then make 'em howler fer ye t' stop!

Wow mate. Informative, interesting and deeply disturbing all at the same time! Truthfully, by dirty I meant old and nasty. I will not be able to do any of this to my boots without feeling dirty myself thanks to you.

YAAAAAAR! Thank you

FYI.. I have the black boots like yours and while performing yesterday I scuffed up the leather a bit (I was performing on a concrete slab)

anyways, on the black boots, the underlying leather is blue. so if you want to distress the leather using a wire brush, I wouldn't.

l_6f5752dad5104a2395dd74698d970409.jpg

FYI.. I have the black boots like yours and while performing yesterday I scuffed up the leather a bit (I was performing on a concrete slab)

anyways, on the black boots, the underlying leather is blue. so if you want to distress the leather using a wire brush, I wouldn't.

Very good to know mate. I had a feeling something like this would be waiting underneath. I have a feeling mine will be some ugly gray underneath so I best not work them down. To be honest, I should just wear them like I wear them and eventually get a real good pair.

My hat took all the loose coin I had already. It was really worth it though.

You will love the Loyalist shoes in Key West. Wore mine down there to test them out... Here's the results:

1. You don't feel any of the loose coral rocks that play havoc with feet.

2. Chicks will stop you dead in your tracks on Duval to marvel at the shoes.

3. I walked about four miles in two days in them without a single blister or ill comfort.

4. Even with the mileage and the coral, the soles of the shoes still like like new.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com