How to begin?

RedJessi

Callenish - I believe me 'folks have an air mattress....perhaps I will give it a try beforehand to see how well it works! And thank ye again for the offer of a place to stay, I certainly am trying to figure a way to make it happen!

Hurricane - Key Largo ye say? Sadly, grad school is a great time suck and I can't get away for even a weekend, alas & alack. If it weren't for these damned professors thinking I have all the time in the world to be writing papers and manning research, I could have a thing called "free time". DAMNATION!

M.A. d'Dogge & Patrick - 'tis the atmosphere and merriment that makes me want to stay at the fort, and yet it is the three compressed discs in me back that make me want to sleep as comfortably as I can. Which sounds less than piratical but is more than true. I'm looking into finding a happy medium in there somewhere or finding a way of sleeping that will allow me mobility the next day.

Captain Jim - I should specify WHICH beach, aye?

Aye, and it gets worse...the rapscallion 'as a brother. So, in addition to living the life of a pyrate all week, ye can truthfully tell all and sundry that ye partied with the Beach boys down in Key West...

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Aye, and it gets worse...the rapscallion 'as a brother. So, in addition to living the life of a pyrate all week, ye can truthfully tell all and sundry that ye partied with the Beach boys down in Key West...

As if this experience could get any more awesome. Speaking of things that are made of awesome, I have been perusing the youtube vids of past events. This is looking like a better and better time each day!

...aye...but we're usaully known as..."those Damn Beach Boys".....thars actually 5 of us boys...and one lil sis(shes the meanest one of us all)...but fear not...most states have a 2 Beach Limit.....

and as far as sleepin in a hammock...i tend to suffer from an interemittant pinched syatic....damn jousting years ago...and usually have trouble gitting up in the morning after a night of sleepin on the ground....but....i have a mayan style hammock...pc cause they were sleepin in em 1000 years before columbus....anyhow....ya tend to sleep more diagnal in it instead of end to end like some of the canvas ones....(made wider)...i usually sleep better in me hammock then i do in me own bed.....its kinda like someones rocking you to sleep everynight.....aaaahahhhhhhh........ ;)

.....if only i didnt pass out before i ever found where i hung the damn thing!!!! ;)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

"but....i have a mayan style hammock...pc cause they were sleepin in em 1000 years before columbus....anyhow....ya tend to sleep more diagnal in it instead of end to end like some of the canvas ones...."

I gots ya beat there dogge, I have an actual Mayan I get to sleep with - screw the hammock part... Diosa's mighty cumfy!! :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

For the price of one nights stay in a hotel, you can buy enough canvas and rope, and make a hammock and tarp that and a blanket, and just join in at the beach.....

Hey... no one is going to check if it was hand-sewn or machine sewn anyway.... just pre-wash your canvas first, or it will leek (just ask Silkie...)

About the best advice you'll ever get, right there. You get to wake up, scratch yer bum and walk out RIGHT into the fun. The best stories are always told from the camp experience.

Unless you like to start your pyrate stories with "So last week I was at the Hotel 6..."

:blink:

Now, I have advised the lass thusly as well, but I must say...

I like sleeping in a bed with a fan buzzing away by my head, drowning out the noise of the environs. Snoring hammock-sleepers, late-night revelers, people scratching their bums and such-like noises are not your ship's surgeon's cup of tea. (We won't even consider the psychic effects of waking up to the sight of people skinny-dipping first thing in the morning.) Plus I like to be able to get away from the sturm und drang and meditate on life with what is apparently more frequency than most. So it's worth the extra guilders if you're a "one wolf" to have a separate shore dwelling when in port. (Besides which, there are many period precedents for it, specifically in the case of captains, surgeons and clergymen.) (Well, ok, not for the fan part.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I like sleeping in a bed with a fan buzzing away by my head, drowning out the noise of the environs. Snoring hammock-sleepers, late-night revelers, people scratching their bums and such-like noises are not your ship's surgeon's cup of tea. (We won't even consider the psychic effects of waking up to the sight of people skinny-dipping first thing in the morning.) Plus I like to be able to get away from the sturm und drang and meditate on life with what is apparently more frequency than most. So it's worth the extra guilders if you're a "one wolf" to have a separate shore dwelling when in port. (Besides which, there are many period precedents for it, specifically in the case of captains, surgeons and clergymen.) (Well, ok, not for the fan part.)

Fair enough. There is something to be said about a fresh bed and a good pillow. Not to mention the air conditioner. On the plus side you can talk to the hotel staff like your crew. That's always fun.

"but....i have a mayan style hammock...pc cause they were sleepin in em 1000 years before columbus....anyhow....ya tend to sleep more diagnal in it instead of end to end like some of the canvas ones...."

I gots ya beat there dogge, I have an actual Mayan I get to sleep with - screw the hammock part... Diosa's mighty cumfy!! :)

-- Hurricane

where did ya git yer hammock???...mine didnt come with one???... :blink:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Ahh, special order. I had to go to Florida to get one and sign some paperwork. Oh, and it cost me a certain appendage I am very fond of if I decide I don't want it any longer. It's not for everyone... and I mean that!!!!!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ahoy there Red, nice ta meet ya lass!. I have to agree with everyone in encouragin ya ta stay at the Fort, it truly is half the experience, that fancy hotel room will go wasted, you'll not want to be going back there once you get to the Fort, prying me away at the end of the thing dirty and ragged is near impossible, asking me to leave for a bloody shower WHY thats rediculous, thats what the ocean be for.

:P

We look forward to meetin ye, and regarding garb, we run from OH MY GOD IT BLACKBEARD in the FLESH to, is that Errol Flynn? of course there are always a few of those "ooooo girl look at those pink thigh highs!" This festival is all about us, having fun and really living it for a weekend.

Can't wait to meet ya!

Rusty Nell Riley

Bone Island Buccaneers

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

FANS!!! like are you a rock star LOL! fans.... bah

you officer types LOL

enjoy your fan I won't begrudge it... oh and uhh sorry about the skinny dipping thing LOL :P

:embarrassed:

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

-- Hurricane

where did ya git yer hammock???...mine didnt come with one???... :P

what's a mayan hammock I want one!! (whines and stomps her foot) and a Diosa too (pouts)

Did you guys see the PBS thing on the Aztecs and Cortez tonight. pretty cool, Diosa scares me now...lol

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Hurricane - when you mention you don't even bother with a piece of canvas over it, how do you mean? OVer your tent? Over the bed itself? Sorry, I am new to all this and not quite following your meaning! I haven't done any camping in close to 20 years!

At this point, I am leaning to getting a hotel room for 2 days as a precaution...Likely Saturday/sunday - in case my back won't allow more than Thursday and Friday spent at the encampment. On the other side, if I don't need the rooms, I can use the shower at least. Rusty, You may be right, but better safe than sorry!

Sorry for being incommunicado every few days - I am suffering network problems with me laptop, alas.

Now ye know why we try to keep that Dogge on a leash...

...grrrrrrrrrrr.....

I'm with ye Dogge!!! Don't ya just hate it when the Capt'n pull on yer chain at the wrong time. Makes ya want ter bite him. I wonder if the Capt'ns have been vacinated????

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

• 1 month later...

Red - Good to meet a fellow uninitiated PiPer. Hadn't been on the board for a few weeks (cuz of Halloween), but would like to say "welcome", and I hope you have fun at the event too! I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing with my knowledge as a crewe spice merchant and apothecary (hopefully not presenting on a stage ala Emeril), but I'm sure it'll be fun. And as a new person, if you want to take on a persona you can, but if not, that's ok! Taking in the accounts from last year's new folk, they were warmly welcomed and shown the ropes.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...