Those of you ported in So. Calif.

I was thinking it might be kinda fun to try and meet some fellow pirates off this here pyracy pub at the upcoming Renaissance Faire. It might seem really impossible to coordinate but I'm already planning on going one time and meeting up with a fellow pirate from San Diego. If anyone thinks of an easy meeting place that is there maybe a set time..... what ever one can think of. It might be nice if its possible. Will there be any pirate groups based at the faire? I supposed if there was that would be ideal meeting place. Just a thought.

-RRSM

The Port Royal Privateers will have an encampment at Ojai May 10-11. You're more 'n welcome to come by, meet us (there're quite a few of us belong to Pyracy Pub), and have some fun!

And I see your home port be Glendale! If you're looking for a crew, consider throwin' in your lot with PRP!

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Unfortunatly PRP doesn't do the Ren-fair in San Bernadino. In fact they cut out the Sea Dogs (the only group that came close to pirates) several years ago. Basically they don't want any pirate types in their ranks. :ph34r:

Well phooey on them! They are too politically correct - gasp you'd think it was Disneyland!

<_<

The other fair in Corona is pirate friendly, but since I only went one time, I have no idea what it's like now.

PRP has several members in the San Diego area, myself included. Hey, don't be afraid to check us out. We may be of an older generation than the youngsters out there, but we play better!

RumbaRue

**The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune** :P

Unfortunatly PRP doesn't do the Ren-fair in San Bernadino. In fact they cut out the Sea Dogs (the only group that came close to pirates) several years ago. Basically they don't want any pirate types in their ranks. :ph34r:

Well phooey on them! They are too politically correct - gasp you'd think it was Disneyland!

<_<

The other fair in Corona is pirate friendly, but since I only went one time, I have no idea what it's like now.

PRP has several members in the San Diego area, myself included. Hey, don't be afraid to check us out. We may be of an older generation than the youngsters out there, but we play better!

RumbaRue

**The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune** :P

Yeah but Rumba at least Disneyland *has* pirates! Corona has a Pirate Fest weekend May 25-26 if you remeber from your PS.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Coincidentally I ran into someone named Al from the PRP the other night at dinner. Now what would be the chances of 2 pirates meeting at the same time same restaurant in Montrose? I wish I would be able to make it to the Ojai event but I am out of town that weekend. I will check the schedule and try and make it to the next PRP event and stop by and say hello. And you say the Renaissance faire is not pirate friendly. So is my friend from S.D. who will show up in full pirate gear gonna be given the boot, dirty looks or what?! All I have is a wench outfit so I guess I should be pretty safe there. <_<

-RRSM

I ran into someone named Al from the PRP the other night at dinner. Now what would be the chances of 2 pirates meeting at the same time same restaurant in Montrose?

Sounds like you ran into Spanish John!

Melusine de la Mer

Al is a long time good friend of mine. We met years ago in another group. In fact it was me who got him to join PRP. I'm sure he probably talked your ear off, if not about pirates then about UFO's his other 'love'.

RumbaRue

**Rabble-rousing, my kind of fun**

B)

Ah, he didn't mention the UFOs he was busy talking the other gal's ear off all about the PRP and the tall ships festival, etc. that's what clued me in initially as to his affiliation. he was talkin about bein in a movie called Hidalgo. I don't know if it is pirate related but if so maybe we can get him to give us some details on its release date. B)

-RRSM

• 2 weeks later...
If ye be lookin like a pirate. They wont let ya in to the San Bernadino Renn Faire?

No, all the talk on this thread means they don't want any pirate groups actually participating as part of the faire. If you'll be attendin' as a payin' guest (or otherwise some kind o' ticket holder), they'll let ye in. 'ods blood, they let in folk dressed like fairies, wizards and whatnot--'course they'll let in pirates. Money's all the same color!

Melusine de la Mer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note on the pirate-less SoCal Ren Faire.

According to the actual reasoning:

The age of piracy is about a hundred years after Queen Elizabeth held the throne. It's hard to remain in "period" when there's a such a big span of years.

I think the actual reason is that they moved the Faire site away from the lake, (the old boats are dry docked back stage still) no ships = no sea dogs.

I don't know, this all just sounds so silly.

Now granted, the common view that the "Golden Age of Piracy" started in the 1700's but, if you look back at history, it really seemed to start in the mid 1500's with the Elizabethan Sea Dogs. Pirates or Privateers such as Sir John Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake, raided Spanish outposts in the “New World” and the gold ships on their way back to Spain, not to mention Grace Granuaile O’Malley’s pirating off the coast of Ireland about the same time. And piracy didn’t stop after Queen Elizabeth’s rule, it just continued on into the mid 1800’s.

As for the rigid Renaissance Faires, we just leave our tricorn hats at home and wear something period. Our replica blunderbuss and pistol are Wheel Lock type, invented in the mid 1500’s. Though they would have been to expensive make and repair to be very popular, they are of the same period.

We are just attendees though and I think we’re looking to get more involved.

Just throwing my two bits in on the getting rid of the whole sea dogs and what not. For folks that used to go to fair waaay back they also had living environments for various guilds to stay at. I remember the Sea Dog's ship, the Scotts guild encampment (sometimes complete with sheep and bagpipes) right across from the Puritans (who had their tower they could climb up and then preach about all the sinners who were walking below them) (The Puritans and Scotts also had the best over the heads of the patrons food fights! *also loved the way that they'd get into 'fights' with Puritans quoting scripture and the Scotts Growling back Gaelic Song lyrics ~They sounded really dirty when they were spoken and not sung~) and all sorts of other guilds. *misses the Scott's guild and the cute guys in kilts* *tries to think* That was five years ago maybe seven? *refueses to guess higher numbers because it couldn't possibly be that long ago and make me feel like a grandmama recalling her salad days*

At any rate, sometime, about the same time Braveheart came out, there was a decision made to get rid of the living environments and make more room for merchents. It wasn't just the 'dogs that were ousted, though I think they were one of the more visibly missing guilds.

Ok, so I'll do the caveat thing and say that's what I heard according to rumor. I know the front of fair has some living quarters, but it's just not the same. Nobility's fun to look at an what not, but how can they compare against the Sea Dogs and their gigging or the Scott's Sheep? *baa's in giggling memory*

*toddles off for a bit now to sit in a corner and drink some spiced rum and dream of days of yore*

And piracy didn’t stop after Queen Elizabeth’s rule, it just continued on into the mid 1800’s.

Piracy hasn't stopped to this day. Huge oil tankers disappear in the Malaysian Strait, never to be seen again -- yachts and crew disappear -- private sailboats are held up and robbed and the women aboard raped. This happens a lot to this day.

And piracy existed long before the Elizabethan Sea Dogs. There are many famous pirates from the middle ages, and before (Julius Caesar was kidnapped and held for ransom by pirates).

In the name of piracy,

--Jamaica Rose

"Heave on the main-brace ... and let's have no sheet about it!"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Aye, piracy has been happening long before recorded history to be sure.

My point wasn’t that piracy started with the Elizabethan Sea Dogs, but was just my opinion as to what time frame in history I think should be considered the “Golden Age of Piracy” while also lending support to the relevance of pirate costumes at renaissance period festivals.

• 4 weeks later...
Ahoy! Is it worth my while to sail my ship in your waters this fall/winter? :huh:

Tall Ships Festival, Dana Point, Sept. 6 & 7, weekend after Labor Day. 'nuff said!

Visit www.tallshipsfestival.com for more info. Maybe we'll see you there!

Melusine de la Mer

:huh: As I posted somewhere else, I've gotten no response concerning this years gig. I need to know a seachest ful o' stuff before I head this ship thattaway. A few vessels will be here in the Bay at about the same time. The Californian, followed by the Lynx. I've been waiting a while to exchange broadsides with the Lynx. Our beginnings are both on the Eastern seaboard. I still fly Halifax as a homeport:ph34r:

Hi All

Just found this site

the reason for there being no Seadogs at RPFS is that there was no money to pay the group or space when the faire moved to the other side of the park that and a few other things(faux pas that some in the group did)

The guild of St.Dymphna the Seadogs has mostly become a northern california group there are only 2 members still in southern california and I'm one of them

the Guild OF St.Dymphna is at the Heart of the forest faire in Novato right now(I won't be able to do any of that this year Damn)

there are other groups that portray sailors and privateers

The Mariners of St Mike's

The Poxy Boggards

My new character at RPFS is Sir John Perrot(Vice Adm to the seas of South Wales and Commissioner on Piracy for Wales and the Queen's bastard 1/2 brother)

plus next year the Constables and I will be adding Perrot's crew to RPFS as part of the Constables and the Bell(the leaping house)

even after the Seadogs where cut the ships were still there from Captain's Tabaggy thou after the 2000 year they left after a fire in the off season destroyed the booth

Just a quick note on the pirate-less SoCal Ren Faire.

According to the actual reasoning:

The age of piracy is about a hundred years after Queen Elizabeth held the throne.  It's hard to remain in "period" when there's a such a big span of years.I think the actual reason is that they moved the Faire site away from the lake, (the old boats are dry docked back stage still) no ships = no sea dogs.

Hope this helps clear up a few things

Beast

Knotworking for a better tomorrow

Sir John Perrot

Vice-Admiral to seas of South Wales,captain of the HMS Revenge

Member of The Bell of St.Ives(best customer at the Bell)

Brutal Harmony,Ice Cream Social,and Last Call (have no idea where that tenor came from I sing bass)