Pat Croce to make movie on BlackBeard

Thanks for the link. Very interesting read... not only on the movie but on the process of making one.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Based on the questions the writer is asking, it sounds like they're making a "based on facts" rather than a factual movie. When the writer is asking the names of the ships involved, it seems doubtful that he's doing a lot of research.

BTW, the Pirate Soul Museum is in Key West, Florida. ;)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

well nothing against Mr. Croche but he lost me at Johnsons first vivid accounts of Blackbeards exploits. *****Sigh***** Two hundred ninety years of tradition uninterupted by research. Oh I can only hope it does not turn for the worse. I agree with you misson, on the surface it is not looking good for the historical front, but by golly there will be lots of blood spilled with all of Blackbeards victims for sure.

Again its nothing against Mr. Croche and his fine collection. We all know hollywood would rather go with the spotty bloodthirsty history rather than what others have surfaced as the more likely character and events that make more sense.

Curiously, every film that at least tries to be authentic to what we really know somehow seems a bit dull by comparison with the Hollywood versions. I noticed it in that History Channel movie about BB. How can you possibly make Blackbeard seem slightly dull? I ask you...

(I've never seen a factual movie about L'Olonnais, but I bet it would seem slightly dull as they recounted his eating of his victim's heart, slicing off bits of flesh, burning them alive and woolding them. Pay attention kiddies, this is interesting!)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

an interesting note. look at the bottom of croches interview. there are discussion topics. seems our boys at sea rats have plugged themselves for parts.

on to the point. Mr. Croche appears to be all in favor of historical, but we know how that goes in hollywood. Matt if you have an inside source with him and see what we can do to help the efforts, that would be awsome. I just heard from kevin, the writers have his book. if we can get ahold of the production companies email maybe we can start a campaign to support an accurate portrayal. anyone know how to find this info out???

Personally, while a movie that was fairly true to the events it was supposed to be depicting would be great... I would be happy with a highly dramatized version of the story as long as the film makers got the visual elements correct. Things like pirates/sailors wearing shoes instead of boots, short coats instead of frocks/justacorps... things like that.

I think a lot more myths about pirates could be extinguished from an accurate depiction of them set to an embelished story rather than a true(ish) story with typical Hollywood costuming.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now I got me a personal interest in this project, because I got a distant relation in jolly Ned Teach's crew...at least, I *think* I do. One Joseph Curtice, who fell in defense of piracy when Maynard did his thing.

If indeed there is a relationship, its likely he's a distant cousin (from way back, of course). Me own family's been on these shores since 1632...but, I note...the name Joseph Curtiis crops up from time to time. Not the same fellow, tho...date of death is all wrong.

Unless, of course...my ancestors know something I don't...

Damn, thats sharp!