King Philip’s War - 1675-1676

King Philip's War, sometimes called Metacom's War or Metacom's Rebellion, was an armed conflict between Native American inhabitants of present-day southern New England and English colonists and their Native American allies from 1675–1676.

Colonial historian Francis Jennings estimated that the War killed nearly 7 of every 8 Native Americans and 6 of every 13 English settlers. King Philip's War was proportionately one of the bloodiest and costliest in the history of America. More than half of New England's ninety towns were assaulted by Native American warriors.

The war is named after the main leader of the Native American side, Metacomet, Metacom, or Pometacom known to the English as "King Philip."

In the 55-year span between the arrival of the Mayflower and the outbreak of King Philip's War, the English had prospered, multiplied and expanded their settlements while the natives were in a slow state of decline from diseases introduced by the Europeans and loss of tribal lands to the whites. One of the many ironies of this conflict is that Philip was the son of Massasoit -- the same Massasoit who had helped the Plymouth Pilgrims survive their first winter in the New World. A father's kindness would became a son's curse.

On July 4, Capt. Benjamin Church and his soldiers begin sweeping Plymouth for Wampanoags. Two weeks later, nearly two hundred Nipmucks surrendered in Boston. Capt. Church was finally successful in capturing Philip's wife and son. An Indian soldier named Alderman in the service of Capt. Church killed Philip after his hiding place at Mt. Hope (Bristol, R.I.) was betrayed. Philip's body was drawn and quartered and his head exposed on a pole in Plymouth. Increase Mather wrote,

"Captured, King Philip was taken and destroyed, and there was he (like as Agag was hewed in pieces before the Lord) cut into four quarters, and is now hanged up as a monument of revenging Justice, his head being cut off and carried away to Plymouth, his Hands were brought to Boston.

"We should not be surprised that the colonists, often hard pressed to win these all-out assaults, developed not only a fear of Indians but a hatred as well. Treating with the Indians as equals, or even as pseudo-equals was quite beyond their comprehension or in most cases their abilities. This problem conflicted with the general imperial policy to improve relations, especially in peace time."

The war in the south largely ended with Metacom's death. Over 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans had died, including several hundred native captives that were tried and executed or sold as slaves in Bermuda.

The majority of these Native Americans and many of the colonials died as the result of disease, which was typical of all armies in this era. Those sent to Bermuda included Metacom's son (and also, according to Bermudian tradition, his wife). A sizable number of Bermudians today claim ancestry from these exiles. Members of the Sachem's extended family were placed for safekeeping among colonists in Rhode Island and eastern Connecticut. Other survivors were forced to join more western tribes, mainly as captives or lower caste tribal members.

The Narragansett, Wampanoag, Podunk, Nipmuck, and several smaller bands were virtually eliminated as organized bands, while even the Mohegans were greatly weakened.

Increase Mather, Brief History, 49-50, b. 1639-d. 1723

"The Name of War," by Jill Lepore; "Genocide and Enslavement of Native People in Southern New England," by Kevin McBride.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

There is talks about a possible re-enactment of one of the battles in King Philips War next June... See this thread on this other forum for more info

A really good and easily approachable book on the topic is "Flintlock and Tomahawk: New England in King Philip's War" by Douglas Edward Leach, I have a few more books about this war if there is anyone interested in doing some more in depth reading about the war.

One neat reference that relates to the Pyracy Pub, is one Captain Samuel Mosely (sometimes spelled Moseley) may have been a buccaneer before being a captain of one of the militia units in this war. I've done a modest amount of looking and not found anything to absolutely confirm this, but considering Mosely was a naval captain responsible for capturing some Dutch pirates just prior to the outbreak of this war, I find the prospect of him being a former buccaneer realistic at least.

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh, one more thing... Captain Samuel Mosely (the suspected former buccaneer) was one of the most successful captains in the entire war. Many of the War's key battles hinged on his unit's participation. His unit contained a few members that were also reputed buccaneers, as well as a few of the captured Dutch pirates I mentioned in the previous post. They were offered the chance to fight for the colonies for their freedom/pardon.

Michael_banner.jpg

Cheeky wrote:

On July 4, Capt. Benjamin Church and his soldiers begin sweeping Plymouth for Wampanoags. Two weeks later, nearly two hundred Nipmucks surrendered in Boston. Capt. Church was finally successful in capturing Philip's wife and son. An Indian soldier named Alderman in the service of Capt. Church killed Philip after his hiding place at Mt. Hope (Bristol, R.I.) was betrayed. Philip's body was drawn and quartered and his head exposed on a pole in Plymouth. Increase Mather wrote,

Wow, did you ever hit on that topic with me. Now you got me going. :lol:

I've lived in Bristol for more than half my life. I do know of the Benjamin Church reenactor group. There are also decendants of benjamin Church still living today, one in particular that I went to high school with. The King Philips Seat is by the shore near where I went to college for a few years (Roger Williams University) where the final battle took place. TheHaffenreffer museum is on that site. I recommend this book Mayflower, it goes directly from the Pilgrims right directly into the KP war. Nearly everything in town is named Metacom, Massassoit, Canonicut and Wampanoag. The town of bristol is really called Mount Hope or (Montaup, in wampanoag). The word 'quahoag' ,as in the tv cartoon, is a wampanoag word. The picture below is King Philip's war club, that he used to clop people on the head with:

warcluba.jpg

Three things more about Bristol :

One, Benjamin Church was a founding member of St. Michaels church, which was afiliated with the DeWolf slave trading family, which I posted in this link Rum & Slaves

Two, Captain Kidd also parcticipated in the war. And his lawyer Emott rolled through town several times for Kidd's trial matters.

Three, is the Herreshoff boat factory, which made the fastest sailing ships and boats in the world at one time.

Lastly, my suggestion is that any reenactor group involved with King Philips war is that they should do it in nearby Colt State park (formally owned by S.P Colt of the revolver), I've seen civil war reenactors there frequently. The scenery is on Narragansett bay. and breathtaking, like these 1750 Coggeshall farm "store houses" below, this is in the millgut. VVVVVV.

IMG_4283.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

I told you it wasn't an English or French king...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Wow, did  you ever hit on that topic with me.  Now you got me going.   :lol:

Cool! Glad you are enjoying it.

I also have ties to the area due to my mother's ancestral link to this time in history. :lol:(Ooops! Forgot :lol: ...John McKenney/McKinney/McKenna is my ancester).

From the book, “A DOLEFUL SLAUGHTER NEAR BLACK POINT” - The Battle at Moore’s Brook, Scarborough, Maine, June 29, 1677 by Sumner Hunnewell.

JOHN MCKENNEY a captured Scottish soldier, indentured to Massachusetts after the battle of Dunbar where Cromwell had routed the Scots sympathetic to Prince Charles.

By 1664 he was in Scarborough and there he settled having received a grant of land in 1668. Although he got into a row with Captain Scottow, the owner of the garrison, McKenney supported the captain while others in the town spoke against him. McKenney and his family fled the war and became refugees in Salem.

During King Philip’s War, an official casuality list indicates our ancestor, John Mackenny, was wounded thru the chest & back at Black Point near Scarborough during an ambush of 90 settlers in 1677. He and about 50 survivors escaped to the fort at Garrison Cove. Later, John Mackenny & other wounded men were transported to Salem along with the wives & children of the settlers. When Indian hostilities appeared to taper off in 1679, John moved his family back to Black Point. However, during the Indian wars of the next decade, the settlers were forced to defend themselves during periodic attacks.

JOHN MCKENNEY was shot through the breast and back, and was sent back to Salem where his family waited for him. There they stayed until the town paid to have them returned to Black Point in 1679.

Honord: Sr._ :Salem: the: 4th:July 1677.—

Undrstanding, pr doctor Barton, tht yor: honoer desires, & Expected, to receiue a pticular acctt. of the mens names tht are wounded, as alsoe the place they belong to, wth the manner of their wounds, haue accordingly, made Inquiry, & Sent you acctt as followeth—

Daniell: Dike: of Milton : through the Arm boan Splintrd

Ben : Rockett of Medfield . two Shots In thigh

Jacob: parker of Chensford: shott through the shouldr.

Tho: Dutton of Bellricke: shott In the knee & belly

Jno: Mechenne, of Blackpoint: throug the brest & back

James Veren of Salem: Through the upr: part of thigh

Anthony waldern Salem: In the neck

Morgan: Joanes of Newberry: through the thigh—

Caleb : pilsberry of Newberry: In the back

Israell Hunewell of Ipswich In the Legg & Shoulder

John’s son Robert married Rebecca Sparks in Dover, NH 1692 but eventually returned to Black Point about 1702 & re-claimed his father’s land during the 2d settlement of Scarborough. During the next year, there was another ambush near Massacre Pond & occasional Indian attacks continued for the next few decades. Robert's wife Rebecca was killed after an attack in 1724.

Member of "The Forsaken"

One neat reference that relates to the Pyracy Pub, is one Captain Samuel Mosely (sometimes spelled Moseley) may have been a buccaneer before being a captain of one of the militia units in this war.

I've done a modest amount of looking and not found anything to absolutely confirm this, but considering Mosely was a naval captain responsible for capturing some Dutch pirates just prior to the outbreak of this war, I find the prospect of him being a former buccaneer realistic at least.

This is really great information! I am wondering if either you or Matusalem have heard about the Cumberland Massacre and the ghost stories about the Nine Men's Misery.

Member of "The Forsaken"