Leather Costrels

B)I know! I know!!! Ooh! Ooh! Pick Me! Pick Me!!! I know! I know!!

uh.....How about a Leather Tankard with a Leather Lid!??!

As the history o' drink'n vessels go as I read it states that lids became very popular during th' days o' th' Black Plague as people did not want infectious stuff drop'n in their drink (perhaps also had trouble with date rape drugs then too), and I figure a sailor would like t' make sure no passing albatross poops in he's tankard o' rum naught t' mention spill'n any when in rough waters....plus I think it would look cool B)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I would speak for one meself, but anything leak-proof in my hands..leaks. Anything un-breakable... gets broke. Nothing against your work mind you, just my bad luck. (My sister was married to a Murphy and he left his curse upon me somehow. B) ) Looks like a very nice piece .

Bo

callenish gunner; that is actually one of the very first leather tankard sites I came across when I first went seek'n a leather tankard...but alas, I sent at least three or four e-mails and for over a month (my standard time frame for first contact) I never got a response, and I even tried call'n but got no answer. I think that was around Jan, Feb, or March of last year.

There was a couple others that never responded either, another's who's mugs I did naught like and the one who make th' "Indestructible" leather mugs using some sort of secret military epoxy he say, for around a bill and a half... <_<

Then I found th' Royal Armories Museum with th' Tudor Rose tankard modeled after an actual one from a ship (odd, I can naught find where they speak o' it on th' site now, but it's there somewhere...)

Capt. Bo; that be why ye get a couple bee's wax candles t' seal up them leaks.

The one I had (and might get back now I hear!) had a brewer's pitch inner lining, they say it will go bad with acidic drinks and certainly do NAUGHT fill with hot drink, but I used mine a LOT and th' only wear in sealer was around th' drink'n edge....a few drops o' bee's wax, rub it in - Sweet As New!

B)

michaelsbagley, they be sing'n bout yer Leather Bottle!!

Michaelsbagley's Leather Bottel Ballad

also interesting to note on some o' th' leather drinking vessels on this site is mentioning them as being 'lined in silver' and some have th' silver that 'spills' over th' edge.

• 5 months later...

costrels.jpg

Okay, I've been sitting on these for months, I sold two a few weeks ago that got me to thinking that I should clear the rest out (of course this meant finishing the stoppers). So I will take $55 and include shipping on these. There are only four in black left, and one in natural (which turns dark brown after being hardened).

I will not likely be making any more of these for quite some time (autumn at earliest), so if you are interested, please do so now. Please PM me or email me if you are interested.

Michael_banner.jpg

Bo, I sent you a PM, but my computer did something weird as I hit "Send" so I am not sure if it went through or not.... Please let me know.

As a note, there are only the 2 black ones left, 2 black ones and the natural one are now claimed (well one of the black ones has just been pulled for the "Dead Man's Chest: Santa Maria Edition" .

Also, they can come as is, or if you would like holes punched for straps or cord, please let me know and I will do it at no additional cost (strap or cord not included).

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

HA!?!....i see how ya are ya pyrate.....thought ya said i can take a gander at em on the way to Beufort!?!?!...wot did ya do...hides em all?!?!...i was still interested in a few natural ones....thought ya were all out of em!?!?...wot did ya do...only show em to the Dutchie-poo!?!?

oooo....wot...me coin not good enuff?!?!.....oooo....looks like a "come-uppin" will be in order....gotta start plannin now.....you shall rue this day.... :rolleyes:

well....start rueing!!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

HA!?!....i see how ya are ya pyrate.....thought ya said i can take a gander at em on the way to Beufort!?!?!...wot did ya do...hides em all?!?!...i was still interested in a few natural ones....thought ya were all out of em!?!?...wot did ya do...only show em to the Dutchie-poo!?!?

oooo....wot...me coin not good enuff?!?!.....oooo....looks like a "come-uppin" will be in order....gotta start plannin now.....you shall rue this day.... :rolleyes:

well....start rueing!!!

Okay, okay... Kanga.... I mean Roo.. No, I mean rue, I'm rue-ing already... :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

Hoping to avoid the rush, (so I too, do not rue) I should like to get a dibs on a natural for PIP!

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

I can attest that they are quite lovely close up, very durable (I accidently fell on one....), and fantastic for carrying water (ale, rum, kool-aide, whatever floats your boat)...

Not just saying that cause he's my hubby. Just telling it how I see it. :)

Banner.jpg

I can attest that they are quite lovely close up, very durable (I accidently fell on one....), and fantastic for carrying water (ale, rum, kool-aide, whatever floats your boat)...

That's good ta know! (as you all know how accident proned I am!) Ever see the cartoon of the guy with a storm cloud following him around allovetheplace? That's based on a real-life person I know quite well. We are VEEERY close. :unsure:

Bo

Thanks for the compliment Quartermaster James!!!

I hate to contradict the wife (because I get my backside whooped for it), but it is not a good idea to use these for alcohol (it can deteriate the pitch coating), I would alos avoid anything too sticky (as it would make it harder to rinse them out, and possibly make the inside sticky). They should be okay with low alcohol adult beverages (beer, ale etc. and MAYBE wines, meads) but then you run the risk of your drink going flat (in the case of beers/ales) if you don't drink it quick enough....

Enjoy!

Michael_banner.jpg

Mine arrived today! I'm very pleased Michael! I have some "Apple-Pie" that I made up for new years left around in the fridge. As soon as I am able to walk around, I'm going on a long day scout on my uncles place, and this will be going out with me! Thanx for the promt delivery too!

Bo