Fed-Ex, Period Style

I thought this info from Henry Teonge's Diary was pretty interesting.

"[Nov. 27, 1675] A pigeon was sent from Scanderoon [Alexandretta] to Aleppo this day, to give notice of a French merchant that came in today. 'Tis distant sixty miles. [Endnote 122: See also Hakluyt Soc., vol lxxxvii, p. 32, for an account of the pigeon-service in 1599. The name of the ship, and time of arrival was always sent to Aleppo.]" (Teonge, p. 93)

"[Dec 5, 1675] Here [Cilicia] is an art (I mean from the three factories [located in Scanderoon/Alexandretta]) to send a pigeon single, and sometimes two together, from hence to Aleppo upon any sudden occasion of shipping coming in, or any other business. The pigeons are bred at Aleppo, and brought down on horseback in cages; and, when occasion serves, a small note made fast to their wing, close to their body with a silk, yet so as not to hurt the wing; and then take them to the top of the factory and let him go, and the pigeon will fly home (which any of our pigeons would also do), and the pigeon coming home, thinking to creep into his old habitation, is caught as it were in a coffer (Endnote 142: MS cofer - a box or chest), trapped and taken, and examined." (Teonge, p. 107)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

R. misson,

not sure which PM you are checking anymore, but ran across the apothecary in Fredericksburg VA this morning and got to play with his pet swiss leeches. Jolly good time and the physic was excited when we entered and asked for the gorry story rather than the watered down weak stomach version. Anyhow, he cited a book entitled Culpepers Complete Herbal and English Physician. thought you might be interested if you had not run across it as a reference yet.

You know Dutchie, we should all take a trip out to the frontier cultural museum... there is an English farm from our time period, would be interesting to see what they may have to contribute...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

huh. had not thought about that. thats one of those little places that you always mean to get to but drive past. I remember reading where they did some renovations not too long ago so it should be pretty good.

I can see it now- yee dawgy, dutch, grace, sterling and snotties head to the wild frontier of shennandoah for research on pyrates. me thinks we might need an ambitious explorer to accompany us.

I can see it now- yee dawgy, dutch, grace, sterling and snotties head to the wild frontier of shennandoah for research on pyrates. me thinks we might need an ambitious explorer to accompany us.

Honestly I was thinking more along the lines of "every day life" from the period...not specifically pirate research (wouldn't that be a hoot if we did find something)...since we have so many civilian impressions.

An Explorer what? Damnation if we won't get lost on the way there for sure now... and I already know where it is...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Dutch, I did get your PM, but I was on a hotel computer and had to get off before I could answer it...and thus forgot. I have Culpepper's book. It is still being printed! (You have to be careful, though, some verionss have been 'updated' it for modern consumption.) I must confess, however, that the apothecary side of this interests me less than the other parts and so I have spent little time researching it. I actually stopped inan apothecary shop/museum in Niagra on the Lake, but it was from the mid 19th century and thus not so very enlightening viz. my current topic.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg