Captain Kidd

Matusalem

I was on Block island a couple of days ago....decided to go up into the old cemetary to do some period grave rubbings for the pyrate sketchbook project. Found a pair and made the 'understatement of the year' in the pyrate sketchbook thread when I sad these people probably knew Captain Kidd when i got home to read The Pirate Hunter .

Pg. 233 reads:

Kidd sailed back out to his rendezvous point, off Block island. he stopped briefly close to shore to land two small cannon (weighing 300 pounds each) and ammunition, to be cared for by his friend Edward Sands, trying to cover every possibility, was preparing just in case he needed to make a rushed getaway in some other ship and needed to retrieve extra firepower. His wife might soon be staying on Block island: he wanted to protect her.

pg 240 reads:

Sara Kidd reached Block Island and stayed at Newshorum (today spelled "New Shoreham") at the house of family friends, the Sands, where Captain Kidd already dropped off two cannon.

~

Sarah Kidd wanted company at the reunion, and invited along mary Sands And her husband Edward, 30. Kidd Anchored at the east end of Block island and the men rowed out Sarah, and little Sarah, and Mary and Edward Sands.

On the left is the grave of "Captain" Edward Sands, died 1708, and on the right is his father James Sands, died in 1695.

IMG_4257.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg